Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
That really is a false equivalency to this particular ethnic group here and now. The perpetrators behind the recent crimes in Paris entered the country disguised as refugees. By accepting these people, we cold be posing a potential security risk, and I don't have faith in the Malloy administration to competently run the appropriate screenings and background checks. The leadership of this state has a deeper concern with appealing to people's sense of political correctness than genuinely doing the right thing in terms of economics and (in this case) exercising basic common sense. Even traditionally liberal states like Massachusetts are saying no to this, so it really isn't a partisan issue.

I would be more inclined to welcome to these people if they were willing to assimilate to our way of life. While there are indeed many who come here from mideastern nations seeking better lives for themselves and their families, and want to confirom to the idea of work hard and propser while still maintaining your traditions, there are nonetheless some who bring with them an antithetical set of values, and their attitude seems to be, "We are simply biding our time, until you do things our way." If that sounds like an exaggeration, take a moment to examine what's happened in European cities like Birmingham. The latest wave of migrants there expect longstanding residents to adapt to THEIR way of thinking, and this has been met with steep resistance (and understandably so).

If America really wants to extend a hand to those in need, may I suggest we start by first helping the nearly 50,000 homeless vets in this country? If we really want to re-claim this notion of American Exceptionalism (a concept that outlived its usefulness eons ago), we can start by addressing this problem first.
Only one of the perpetrators has been identified a coming into Europe as a refugee. Jay

Old 11-17-2015, 07:33 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromct View Post
if america really wants to extend a hand to those in need, may i suggest we start by first helping the nearly 50,000 homeless vets in this country? if we really want to re-claim this notion of american exceptionalism (a concept that outlived its usefulness eons ago), we can start by addressing this problem first.
yes +1000000.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Only one of the perpetrators has been identified a coming into Europe as a refugee. Jay
And look that what happened. What happens when there are 5 of them? Malloy just wants to let them in (after vetting of course ).

I don't care if there was 50. Over 500 people lost lives in the last week thanks to them. Beirut, Russia (in Egypt) and Paris. It only takes 1.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:41 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
ONLY?!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
The states not "accepting" refugees don't have a choice in the matter. They can whine all they want.

I don't understand why this is much different than when we accepted Cuban refugees, or Vietnamese refugees etc. I'm willing to bet that if these people were white Christians there wouldn't be as much of a problem!
Those refugee situations were many years in the past and in a totally different geo-political environment (the Cold War). So I don't see how there can be a comparison with the current Syrian situation.

There is potentially a tremendous amount of downside letting them in. All it takes is just one refugee to commit a terrorist act or be caught in a terrorist plot and outcry against the refugees would be severe. Potentially violent. And while that reaction would be unfair and unjustified, its the reality of human nature. Plus the political fallout for the Democrats would be huge, especially in the upcoming election.

If the administration decides to go ahead with this, they need to be totally transparent about the screening process. They need to put people's fears to rest and how they will mitigate the terrorist risk. Just saying "its the right thing to do" and other platitudes will not work and will just ensure the inevitable backlash.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Those refugee situations were many years in the past and in a totally different geo-political environment (the Cold War). So I don't see how there can be a comparison with the current Syrian situation.

There is potentially a tremendous amount of downside letting them in. All it takes is just one refugee to commit a terrorist act or be caught in a terrorist plot and outcry against the refugees would be severe. Potentially violent. And while that reaction would be unfair and unjustified, its the reality of human nature. Plus the political fallout for the Democrats would be huge, especially in the upcoming election.

If the administration decides to go ahead with this, they need to be totally transparent about the screening process. They need to put people's fears to rest and how they will mitigate the terrorist risk. Just saying "its the right thing to do" and other platitudes will not work and will just ensure the inevitable backlash.
You don't need refugees for terrorist acts to be committed.

Only one of the Paris attackers were refugees.

None of the 9-11 attackers were.

Jihadists will get in one way or another if they are intent on attacking, they will.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:05 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
And look that what happened. What happens when there are 5 of them? Malloy just wants to let them in (after vetting of course ).

I don't care if there was 50. Over 500 people lost lives in the last week thanks to them. Beirut, Russia (in Egypt) and Paris. It only takes 1.
Of course they will be "vetted". The CBS News had a segment on it this morning. They cannot just walk into our country like they could in others. There is a rigorous process that they have to go through. In all it takes 18 to 24 months and includes multiple background checks, interviews, classes and screenings. Jay

Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You don't need refugees for terrorist acts to be committed.

Only one of the Paris attackers were refugees.

None of the 9-11 attackers were.

Jihadists will get in one way or another if they are intent on attacking, they will.
I agree with you. But what you or I may think is pretty much irrelevant when over 90% of the populace is against letting the refugees in. As I said before, all it takes is "only one" refugee to be involved in a terrorist plot for a political s--tstorm to erupt. So if they do this, they have to do it right. There will be no room for errors or mistakes in this process.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Of course they will be "vetted". The CBS News had a segment on it this morning. They cannot just walk into our country like they could in others. There is a rigorous process that they have to go through. In all it takes 18 to 24 months and includes multiple background checks, interviews, classes and screenings. Jay
There are plenty of large homes in Glastonbury, I'll email Malloy and tell him that Glastonbury is the perfect town for them.

Don't worry, they will be vetted.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 AM

505 posts, read 428,585 times
Quote:

The same way they "vetted" the Boston Marathon bombers? The Russian security forces continued to provide American authorities with info that they were up to no good while visiting Russia and were completely ignored!

The "vetting" process is often not as rigorous as people think as bored officials rubberstamp many of the applications and simply go through the motions.

In a situation like this it is impossible to get an accurate background as many of the refugees have no documentation at all and cannot substantiate any of their stories or their backgrounds.

The Europeans are finding that the majority of supposed "refugees" are lying about their identity just to get in the door. The same would almost certainly happen here!

Bringing them to CT is a HUGE liability with no gain. They should be left in the camps in the Middle East where they are already provided for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut