Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
As has been discussed AGAIN AND AGAIN GE DID MENTION TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE LINK

GE Leaves Connecticut for Boston: Blame Taxes | National Review
In fairness, this link is a pure opinion piece. It never quotes GE sources, named or unnamed, as citing taxes as a reason for the move.

Having said that, the real reasons for the move should not make CT feel any better.

Last edited by htfdcolt; 08-28-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-28-2016, 10:20 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
As has been discussed AGAIN AND AGAIN GE DID MENTION TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE LINK

GE Leaves Connecticut for Boston: Blame Taxes | National Review
It doesn't matter what they said. Look at reality - they didn't save much by moving to MA. If taxes were their real reason, they'd be in TN.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:12 AM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
In fairness, this link is a pure opinion piece. It never quotes GE sources, named or unnamed, as citing taxes as a reason for the move.

Having said that, the real reasons for the move should not make CT feel any better.

The reality is, if it were 100% tax related, Ct would be in better shape. I do think many corp hqs, like GE, will abandon suburbia for large cities, and that is not something Ct can offer them.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It doesn't matter what they said. Look at reality - they didn't save much by moving to MA. If taxes were their real reason, they'd be in TN.
They are getting much more value for their money. Even if they broke even it would be a winning move, the fact that they saved anything is only a bonus. They walked into the dealership and traded up from a Toyota Camry to a BMW 5 series and somehow saved. I feel the same way at the personal income tax level. Wouldn't care about the taxes if I thought I was getting even half the value I paid. Unfortunately there's just too many places that equal or excel CT and cost 1/3 of the taxes. We pay more and get less (as middle class folks anyway)

Old 08-28-2016, 12:33 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
They are getting much more value for their money. Even if they broke even it would be a winning move, the fact that they saved anything is only a bonus. They walked into the dealership and traded up from a Toyota Camry to a BMW 5 series and somehow saved. I feel the same way at the personal income tax level. Wouldn't care about the taxes if I thought I was getting even half the value I paid. Unfortunately there's just too many places that equal or excel CT and cost 1/3 of the taxes. We pay more and get less (as middle class folks anyway)
I don't disagree, but saying they moved solely to save on taxes is not at all true.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 PM

789 posts, read 702,837 times
Quote:
Taxes is a major part of the reason. It is undeniable. Both people and corporations are voting with their feet and fleeing high tax areas. MA while not great offered the chance to stay regionally close while offering relative tax relief. It is nothing more than economics 101 - tax something you will get less of it.

Just look at Malloy offering other companies financial incentives to stay and it is obvious what is going on.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:55 PM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Taxes is a major part of the reason. It is undeniable. Both people and corporations are voting with their feet and fleeing high tax areas. MA while not great offered the chance to stay regionally close while offering relative tax relief. It is nothing more than economics 101 - tax something you will get less of it.

Just look at Malloy offering other companies financial incentives to stay and it is obvious what is going on.

The big picture folks miss is while Ct pays greenmail to retain existing corps, other states use their economic incentives not to retain, but to get more to come to them.

What Malloy has to do paying greenmail is like you paying your boss every payday a bribe to keep your job.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The big picture folks miss is while Ct pays greenmail to retain existing corps, other states use their economic incentives not to retain, but to get more to come to them.

What Malloy has to do paying greenmail is like you paying your boss every payday a bribe to keep your job.
Agree. Bad fiscal policy gives way to crony incentives given out on an ad hoc basis while other states attract capital.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:02 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Quote:
That isn't true at all. Look at it this way, taxes and location are two parts of the equation of where GE decides to go.

They saved money going to MA AND they get a better location. The point is that if CT wants to retain businesses they have to have a better tax structure if their location is inferior.

MA has a better location and tax structure so it was a no brainer. If politicians want to keep businesses from leaving there has to be a reason to stay, and their isn't.

You can't raise taxes and expect nothing to happen. This scenario reminds me of Aetna's decision to drop out of 70% of the Obamacare exchanges. Its the same principle, they are losing money and are better off getting out of the market.

In this case businesses are better off leaving CT for greener pastures for either tax or location reasons. Its very simple, but we need to stop the constant lying about why companies are choosing to go.

All I ask is that the lying stop

Old 08-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
That isn't true at all. Look at it this way, taxes and location are two parts of the equation of where GE decides to go.

They saved money going to MA AND they get a better location. The point is that if CT wants to retain businesses they have to have a better tax structure if their location is inferior.

MA has a better location and tax structure so it was a no brainer. If politicians want to keep businesses from leaving there has to be a reason to stay, and their isn't.

You can't raise taxes and expect nothing to happen. This scenario reminds me of Aetna's decision to drop out of 70% of the Obamacare exchanges. Its the same principle, they are losing money and are better off getting out of the market.

In this case businesses are better off leaving CT for greener pastures for either tax or location reasons. Its very simple, but we need to stop the constant lying about why companies are choosing to go.

All I ask is that the lying stop
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut