Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 03:39 PM

75 posts, read 132,190 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived or experienced both of these cities?

Could you describe the "lifestyle" or cultural vibe differences?

Where are people more friendly, down to earth, community-minded?

Where would you rather live?

Stamford, Connecticut
Just outside NYC
Four seasons (I see this as a pro)
Atlantic Ocean
130,000 population
Median income $72,000
Rent $1,500
Crime Index 157

Stereotypes that I'm not sure if could be true?
"Bedroom" city with mostly commuters? Jonses/Wall-St vibe (tough to break into)? Cold winters?

Pasadena, California
Just outside LA
Hot dry summers, mild winters
Commute through LA to Pacific Ocean
140,000 population
Median income $70,000
Rent $1,400
Crime Index 224

Stereotypes that I'm not sure if could be true?
Drought problems? Safety concerns increasing? High taxes? Superficial people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 04:21 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Are you getting relocated, or what's the reason you're considering them? I think that might add some context into what you're looking for. Here are my thoughts... I didn't live directly in either towns but lived pretty close and think I got a decent feel for them. I also looked at both towns at different times when looking to buy a home.

Pasadena and Stamford are so different. If you like living in a modern high rise type of building or in a really rural setting where you get an acre of land, Stamford has that diversity. Pasadena is more consistently like an LA suburb... average-sized houses and lots, unless you go the multi-million dollar route. They have some mid-rise modern buildings here and there but not clustered in any type of downtown area with density like Stamford. The reputation of the two towns are very different IMO... Pasadena has more local cache than Stamford and is generally more expensive for a SFH in a good school district. The towns around Stamford are definitely high class but Stamford itself isn't really. Where would your job be? I'd much rather commute into NYC from Stamford than most parts of LA (except Downtown) from Pasadena.

In general, I prefer the lifestyle in Pasadena but the location of Stamford because you could work in NYC, Westchester, or Fairfield County pretty easily and they're all job centers. Whereas in Pasadena you're pretty much stuck on the east side of the city or Glendale/Burbank. I would say Pasadena is more diverse and has more in the way of international cuisine and such if that's important to you. I'd consider them equal in terms of local friendliness.

Taxes in Pasadena, and CA in general, are higher but the income tax rate depends a lot on income. If you make less than $100k for example the difference is negligible. The best thing about working in CA in my opinion is you get paid out your unused PTO when you leave the company. It's like an extra paycheck. Otherwise I find the COL fairly comparable. CA's sales tax is close to 10% vs. CT's 6.35%.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
I haven't seen the sun for a week so I'm going with Pasadena.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:52 PM

190 posts, read 471,479 times
I only know Stamford, so hard to comment but a couple of things stick out to me...

1) Taxes- Maybe the sales tax is better in CT, but property tax (if you are looking to buy) are much higher in Stamford

2) Rent of $1,500. I think you would have a very tough time finding a place in Stamford for $1,500 for a 1 bedroom, unless it is not in a very good area. Anything in Downtown or Harbor Point will likely start at $1800.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 PM

75 posts, read 132,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Are you getting relocated, or what's the reason you're considering them? I think that might add some context into what you're looking for.
I currently live in Los Angeles (not Pasadena but I like that area) and am planning to relocate back east in the next couple months. I've loved the experience of living in California and won't put down LA, but I'm over it and feel ready to relocate back to the general area of New England/Mid-Atlantic (currently in the research phase). Stamford appeals to me because it seems comparable to Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank (please correct me if I'm wrong! ) I've done some research around Philly and Boston using city data, but I'm thinking CT matches more of my wish list.

I understand how expensive anywhere near NYC is, but California is incredibly expensive as well, so I'm used to it. My job is flexible, I'd just like to be near a major airport for travel 0-3 times per month. I'd be looking to live with a roommate for around $1,000/month.

My main priority is to live somewhere with more of a sense of community and slightly less transient than what I've found in LA. I also miss aspects of the northeast that are harder to put into words (more of a general "feel") but I'm at a total loss right now as to where specifically to land.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:24 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,965,663 times
You should consider taking a peek via Google Earth Street View. Perhaps the 'feel' you want is based off the predominant architecture of a place. At least you will be able to get a feel for Stamford's appearance prior to visiting.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
1000 a month is going to be hard in stamford. Stamford is more of a bedroom quite community compared to pasadena. If you are making under 6 figures I would stay away from both. I would perfer pasadena. If anywhere on east coast it will probably be outside of boston.. just my opinion

Old 05-05-2016, 08:17 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
In terms of expense, both areas are about exactly the same.

I actually compared both recently since I'm planning on moving west in 3 years. Pasadena and Stamford will be very similar in cost. Only problem is Stamford is like an island of cheaper prices, because for miles around it, it gets crazy expensive. I would not send kids to Stamford public schools. Pasadena, I would...

Anyway, Stamford is a northeast corridor urbanized city. It has ghettos, wealthy neighborhoods and everything in between. It's dubbed "the city that works" basically because it's surrounded by some of the richest towns in the country.

I also think Stamford has a lot more close by than Pasadena. You have transportation options that a suburb like Pasadena doesn't have (train, reliable and frequent bus, more uber, taxis, medium sized airport 10 mins away). You also have a bustling downtown with access to very high end downtowns in neighboring Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan. You're 40 mins from Manhattan by train - 30-40 mins driving without traffic. Can't beat that.

Honestly, IMO, the only thing Pasadena has going for it over the Stamford area is the weather. That's a big thing, but it depends on your preferences.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
$1,000 to share with a roommate is doable in Stamford. $1k by yourself is extremely hard. You have to get lucky with a tin can studio and even then, you'll have to pay for utilities. Just a heads up.

You're close to Westchester Airport which is tiny but very convenient if you're not footing the bill, lol. You also have LGA/JFK not too far away in Queens, NY.

I grew up in the valley and have family in Glendale. It really is personal preference. You're in the two biggest metro areas with different vibes. Right now, the weather has been depressing in CT even though Spring is better than any season experienced out in SoCal.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:50 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
I think Stamford is more comparable to Burbank/Glendale than Pasadena... both kind of young-ish and urban in the middle of what is otherwise the suburbs. Pasadena is more for families IMO.

Seems like your heart is back east... you should just go for it! Have you thought about White Plains in New York? It's similar in character to Stamford but a bit closer to NYC and there are a lot of rentals around the train station where you might find a roommate. That area is also fairly walkable. I lived close to the train and liked it a lot. Nothing wrong with Stamford but it might be nice to have a few options to research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut