Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about CT road quality now?
I agree with you. They've made great progress! 13 43.33%
They're no better or worse than most other states 7 23.33%
I disagree with you. They still have a LOT of work to do. 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:56 AM

854 posts, read 1,242,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

The section of the "New England Thruway" in NYC (which I think is i-95) is horrid. They should pay us to drive on that road instead of collecting tolls.
New England Thruway is free in NYC. Do you mean the section in New Rochelle where there is a toll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
New England Thruway is free in NYC. Do you mean the section in New Rochelle where there is a toll?
Did you forget about the $10 GW Bridge toll to enter the thruway?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Any idea why CT is favoring roundabouts over traditional four way intersections? They constructed a roundabout in the town in FL I visit often, and there are always accidents. I spoke to a police officer when I visited last and he said since it opened, accidents doubled. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
America is one of the few developed countries in the world with a disdain for roundabouts. I tend to favor them and think most accidents are caused by people that don't understand how to use them. They keep traffic flowing and don't require any lights (and associated electricity) so are eco-friendly, cheap to create, as well as give the opportunity to make a green space in the middle. However they're generally more successful on streets without too much traffic as problems arise when you get to multiple-laned roundabouts and the need for crosswalks, etc.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
America is one of the few developed countries in the world with a disdain for roundabouts. I tend to favor them and think most accidents are caused by people that don't understand how to use them. They keep traffic flowing and don't require any lights (and associated electricity) so are eco-friendly, cheap to create, as well as give the opportunity to make a green space in the middle. However they're generally more successful on streets without too much traffic as problems arise when you get to multiple-laned roundabouts and the need for crosswalks, etc.
That's exactly the problem - people don't know how to use them. That doesn't help in the short term, or even long term IMO. Larger ones with multiple lanes are especially confusing.

Also, USA typically has much larger vehicles than western counterparts so that brings up another issue.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Did you forget about the $10 GW Bridge toll to enter the thruway?
Pretty sure that was $14 for me in a CAR last year. I had to empty my ashtray to dig out change after spending another $14 to get off the NJ Turnpike. When I was hit up for that last $1 toll I told her I was going to cry if there was another toll before I hit CT. My own stupid fault for not going through the Pocanos like I usually do - $29 in tolls and tons of traffic was not worth even an hour saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
As kid said about the larger vehicles, these two are going in a town full of soccer moms in SUVS on their phones and contractors in big trucks. There is a TON of traffic at these two intersections and one is has a ton of foot traffic.

Pretty sure I can plan my life around them.

BTW Jay, I went down Naubuc today and it's both towns from Putnam Blvd to Main St in East Hartford. It would be nice if the two towns coordinated the repairs of that road to happen at the same time.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
My only issue with roundabouts is those multiple lane ones. Have to go to the outside lane for one exit and inside lane for another. It is mass chaos.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Pretty sure that was $14 for me in a CAR last year. I had to empty my ashtray to dig out change after spending another $14 to get off the NJ Turnpike. When I was hit up for that last $1 toll I told her I was going to cry if there was another toll before I hit CT. My own stupid fault for not going through the Pocanos like I usually do - $29 in tolls and tons of traffic was not worth even an hour saved.
I avoid GW whenever I can. I'm pretty sure it's "only" $10 with an EZPass. I could be wrong though.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
I avoid GW whenever I can. I'm pretty sure it's "only" $10 with an EZPass. I could be wrong though.
I don't have a pass as I rarely travel toll roads. So it was full price, $14 or $13.85. Felt like $100 as I was got down to nickels in the ash tray! Can't believe they don't have a provision for credit cards, that would have been a lot quicker.

$10 is still a lot!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Any idea why CT is favoring roundabouts over traditional four way intersections? They constructed a roundabout in the town in FL I visit often, and there are always accidents. I spoke to a police officer when I visited last and he said since it opened, accidents doubled. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Roundabouts are getting more popular across the country, not just in Connecticut. I have seen a lot of them built in New Hampshire and Massachusetts as well as Maryland, Nevada, Florida and just about every other state. Statistics show that roundabouts are much safer than conventional signal controlled intersections. I cannot comment on the intersection you are speaking of but I can tell you that I would bet that even though the number of accidents went up, the severity of them (injuries, fatalities) most likely went way down. A roundabout eliminates conflicting path type accidents, replacing them with less severe rear-end and sideswipe type collisions. Still not all intersections should be replaced by roundabouts though. As traffic volumes grow, they become less and less effective and create more congestion. That is our traffic lesson for the day. Jay

Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
That's exactly the problem - people don't know how to use them. That doesn't help in the short term, or even long term IMO. Larger ones with multiple lanes are especially confusing.

Also, USA typically has much larger vehicles than western counterparts so that brings up another issue.
Roundabouts also take up a lot more land than conventional intersections. This can be a problem in densely developed areas like the northeast. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut