Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:43 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,981 times

Advertisements

we were going to purchase a new car recently. With the internet, we got a quote from a local dealer in Connecticut that included a $600 documentation fee. Right over the border in Rhode Island, the same car and the same price had a $350 doc fee and in Mass it was $200. Edmunds says that the max doc fee allowed in NY is $75.

Is the dealer in CT being greedy and counting on most buyers being too lazy to make a short drive to RI, NY or Mass to save $250 to $525, or not caring about that money? Or, are the filing requirements in Connecticut that much more expensive for dealers than they are in NY, RI or Mass? It's not like we're in Nebraska or Texas where it may take hours to drive to another state. Not counting traffic, the most centrally located spot in the state is less than an hour to the border of another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
$600 seems very high. I think mine was about $250. Sounds like the dealership, who sets the fee, is trying to squeeze every penny out of buyers. Visit another dealership who has the same car and see if their fee is less.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
Negotiate, negotiate. I bought my last car from a dealer over the internet. Doc fee started at $ 450- , negotiated down to $200.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:30 AM

610 posts, read 532,906 times
I just paid $375 in Stamford. I suggest not paying separate attention to that fee, just negotiate the best overall price (including the fee) and go for the best, assuming it's practical.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
The dealer is being greedy. I always tell them that I want to know the price with ALL fees. I walked out of a dealer for our last car when he tried to pull a fast one and add it to an already agreed to price with all fees except registration. He tried to say "All dealers charge this fee" but he could not say anything when I showed him my email that clearly said all fees must be included and that he agreed to it. My attorney did say I could file a complaint and get the vehicle at that price but I went to another dealer nearby and they met the price so I did not bother, Needless to say I will not be going back to that dealer again which is tough for them since I may need to buy two cars this year. Jay

Old 08-25-2016, 03:33 PM

The dealer was Lexus, and there are only a limited number of them in the state - East Hartford, New Haven, Westport and Greenwich. Outside of CT, you have Mt Kisco NY, Springfield, Mass, Warwick, RI and Northborough, Mass

However, in looking at a few comparable models from other brands, the CT doc fees seemed to be consistently in the $500 to $700 range.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,831,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
we were going to purchase a new car recently. With the internet, we got a quote from a local dealer in Connecticut that included a $600 documentation fee. Right over the border in Rhode Island, the same car and the same price had a $350 doc fee and in Mass it was $200. Edmunds says that the max doc fee allowed in NY is $75.

Is the dealer in CT being greedy and counting on most buyers being too lazy to make a short drive to RI, NY or Mass to save $250 to $525, or not caring about that money? Or, are the filing requirements in Connecticut that much more expensive for dealers than they are in NY, RI or Mass? It's not like we're in Nebraska or Texas where it may take hours to drive to another state. Not counting traffic, the most centrally located spot in the state is less than an hour to the border of another state.

Dealers are being greedy. To my knowledge there is not any law that says dealers can only charge so much for "fees" in CT. The only law I know of in regards to "dealer fees" is that the dealer CAN NOT charge for VIN etching even if it's already on the cars glass. Last time I bought a new car the dealer tried this stunt with me and I directed them to the DMV's website.

IMO even though CT has a sizable population we actually have too few dealers (of all brands) to service and sell to our population which drives up prices.

Some of my friends have bought new cars recently in Mass and some have bought new motorcycles in NY, and some previous co workers of mine bought high end Porche's and BMW's in NJ.

(New) Motorcycles are especially problematic to negotiate on price in CT in my experience for all brands.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
The dealer was Lexus, and there are only a limited number of them in the state - East Hartford, New Haven, Westport and Greenwich. Outside of CT, you have Mt Kisco NY, Springfield, Mass, Warwick, RI and Northborough, Mass

However, in looking at a few comparable models from other brands, the CT doc fees seemed to be consistently in the $500 to $700 range.
Jeff - When I bought my car I reached out to every dealer within 100 miles. I ended up buying one car on Long Island, another in Newburg NY. I got prices from RI and Massachusetts as well. I only had to go to the dealer once to see and test drive the car. I negotiated the deal over the phone and via email. The dealer drove the car up to me. So why wouldn't you reach to out of state dealers. I saved thousands by doing so because Connecticut dealers don't feel they have to deal while the out of state dealers want your business and have nothing to lose by giving you a good price. Also don't be shy about playing one dealer against the other. Also be prepared to walk out if they try to add fees which is what I had to do. Remember this is your money and dealers want as much of it as they can squeeze out of you. Don't let them. Jay

Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jeff - When I bought my car I reached out to every dealer within 100 miles. I ended up buying one car on Long Island, another in Newburg NY. I got prices from RI and Massachusetts as well. I only had to go to the dealer once to see and test drive the car. I negotiated the deal over the phone and via email. The dealer drove the car up to me. So why wouldn't you reach to out of state dealers. I saved thousands by doing so because Connecticut dealers don't feel they have to deal while the out of state dealers want your business and have nothing to lose by giving you a good price. Also don't be shy about playing one dealer against the other. Also be prepared to walk out if they try to add fees which is what I had to do. Remember this is your money and dealers want as much of it as they can squeeze out of you. Don't let them. Jay
We had that issue the last time we bought our cars. When gas prices surged, my wife decided she wanted the car with the best MPG at the time. Every dealer in CT we spoke with was adding a $3,000 to $5,000 surcharge. Since my wife traveled to NJ frequently for work at the time, she found a dealer in NJ that offered the same car to us with 0 surcharge. We then went back to at least 10 dealers in CT and asked them if they could match the price and were basically told to go pound sand.

Same thing when I wanted to buy a small SUV for myself last time around. We shopped around and found the car we wanted, and then a dealer in Worcester offered us a price that was about $1,500 lower than the dealers in CT, and they offered us $1,000 more for the trade-in. The guy from Worcester drove down my new car, met me at work in the parking lot, switched plates, and then drove my trade-in car back to Worcester. We went back to a few local dealers and they all refused to match the price.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:51 PM

752 posts, read 552,987 times
Doc fees are just booked profit for the dealer. A friend of mine who sells cars calls them "the bull****". Negotiate and look at it as a part of the entire deal. It's not a statutory fee by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut