Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:37 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
one fatality two years ago with a hiker in a nature preserve, not in a residential area. It's not exactly a pattern of bears overrunning residential areas.
Too many bears living in the same area is a concern which is why NJ allows annual hunts. The goal is population control not removing them entirely from residential areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 2,798 times
Farmington valley definitely has bears but I have never heard about them bothering people. I live in Avon by the way and have only seen one bear. I would reccomend just keeping you garbage in and then when it gets taken out bring it back into the garage. Keep an eye on your kids while your playing and teach bear safety just incase. The bears really are not that bad. Avon has nice parks (fisher meadows) and is considered to be one of the best school systems in the state. If you are worried about seeing a bear while walking with you kids I suggest you bring along a can on bear mace. It can spray up to 30ft and it makes giant grizzly bears run away, so it will definitely make a black bear run away.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM

610 posts, read 533,483 times
Default Posted without comment lol

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/08...&utm_medium=10

Old 08-30-2017, 08:36 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Funny but not that funny. When it gets to the point where they're interfering with people's lives and activities, I think it's time to allow hunting. I know the bears were here first and we are the invaders and we have to co-exist.

Where I'll be moving, I've already been told that I can't have a bird feeder due to the bears. I've been advised that sirens (?) go off when bears are sighted in the apartment parking lot.

Back in WMass a lot of people protested when deer hunting was allowed at Quabbin but it turned out to be a good idea because the deer population was increasing so much that it was unsustainable. In the olde days, people killed many of the deer and the bears. Now we let them multiply, eat our food because there are too many of them and not enough for them to eat, and we have adjusted our lives. One of these days someone will get hurt. Will it be a child? Or maybe it will be your dog when you're out taking it for a walk.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
They are making their way down to the large cities on the coast now as well. Two were spotted in Fairfield the other day.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:24 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
I have a friend named Golidlocks that has sound advice on bears - stay away from where they eat and sleep and you will be fine.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:32 PM

282 posts, read 233,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I have a friend named Golidlocks that has sound advice on bears - stay away from where they eat and sleep and you will be fine.
A corollary to that: Don't turn your yard into one of the places they eat. Instructions for use: Keep trash in the garage/house until right before the trash collectors are expected on your street.

There was a bear siting near me some years back but I never saw it. It was very unusual for our area. Nothing since, just occasional deer but never near me, just some in our town.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:07 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
A corollary to that: Don't turn your yard into one of the places they eat. Instructions for use: Keep trash in the garage/house until right before the trash collectors are expected on your street.

There was a bear siting near me some years back but I never saw it. It was very unusual for our area. Nothing since, just occasional deer but never near me, just some in our town.
Also do not have things like a bird feeder around. Jay

Old 09-10-2017, 12:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
The problem is, the neighbors keep bird feeders out, so their yard is on the daily circuit for a bear in my neighborhood. I'm about ready to put up a bear crossing sign on the street - we've seen him so often!

Old 09-10-2017, 02:13 PM

385 posts, read 363,609 times
Everyone is a nature lover and loves how forested CT is until a wild animal comes in their yard, and then it is "kill em".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut