Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

This has to be the stupidest and most shortsighted thing I have ever seen. If the Town of West Hartford can't afford $5 million to buy this site, then their leaders should hang their heads in shame and resign. There is very little land left in West Hartford and it is not like the town has an abundance of open land around town. Anyone else agree? Jay

W. Hfd. passes on buying UConn campus | HartfordBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:52 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
What do you expect? The governor's threats of redistribution of wealth has small towns and suburbs scared to spend any money at all. If the economy were thriving and WH decided against it, I'd agree. But we have a governor that is continuously penalizing affluent communities simply for being affluent, so I'd stop short of blaming WH elected officials for this one. The problem is Hartford.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Why would WH buy it? That is $5mill tax payer dollars they should use to help out WH tax payers. They already know the pain is coming to them esp since they are a wealthy suburb of Hartford.

Good job to WH officials for not taking the bait.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I wonder if this is just a political ploy. The town is trying to shine light on how much the state aid cuts are impacting the towns and are using this to send a message. If this is the case I really find it obnoxious and hope town residents call their leaders to task on it. Jay

Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I wonder if this is just a political ploy. The town is trying to shine light on how much the state aid cuts are impacting the towns and are using this to send a message. If this is the case I really find it obnoxious and hope town residents call their leaders to task on it. Jay
Why do you find this obnoxious? What's happening in this state under Governor Malloy is not just even more obnoxious, it's destructive. This is the kind of stuff that will happen when you strip small towns of funding. I'm amazed you're placing blame on the community rather than the governor, who is really the one who is giving towns no choice. Place blame where it's due. Wake up.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This has to be the stupidest and most shortsighted thing I have ever seen. If the Town of West Hartford can't afford $5 million to buy this site, then their leaders should hang their heads in shame and resign. There is very little land left in West Hartford and it is not like the town has an abundance of open land around town. Anyone else agree? Jay

W. Hfd. passes on buying UConn campus | HartfordBusiness.com
The buildings are junk. Maybe full of asbestos, too. Could be a money pit, even to tear down.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Raze it and turn it into residential land.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Raze it and turn it into residential land.
Since most municipalities lose money on residential area tax collection versus expense (they make it up in commercial and industrial taxes) this might not be the highest incentive for West Hartford.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
property taxes are already ridiculously high in WH - they just can't be raised anymore, and the school district always needs more money. Admittedly, the town is passing up on a rare chance to decide the fate of what is really the one remaining large parcel of land in the town. It's centrally located, too. But the razing of the buildings would be expensive. I think that WH would rather see the property developed and on the tax rolls, without increasing the school population. Overall, I still think it is a big, shortsighted mistake not to borrow the money to buy the land and preserve the town's control of it.

What's worse is that the town has right of first refusal on the property - which means that instead of buying it for 5 million, now someone will come along to buy it for some use the town doesn't like, and the town will wind up having to buy it at a likely much higher price!

Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
property taxes are already ridiculously high in WH - they just can't be raised anymore, and the school district always needs more money. Admittedly, the town is passing up on a rare chance to decide the fate of what is really the one remaining large parcel of land in the town. It's centrally located, too. But the razing of the buildings would be expensive. I think that WH would rather see the property developed and on the tax rolls, without increasing the school population. Overall, I still think it is a big, shortsighted mistake not to borrow the money to buy the land and preserve the town's control of it.

What's worse is that the town has right of first refusal on the property - which means that instead of buying it for 5 million, now someone will come along to buy it for some use the town doesn't like, and the town will wind up having to buy it at a likely much higher price!
If be surprised if someone came along to buy it. The economy isn't exactly red hot in greater Hartford at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut