Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

UConn is now marketing their West Hartford campus on the open market. The announcement notes that the town may still be interested in buying the property but they are still soliciting bids for it. They set up a web page with all the information on the property. I will say I am surprised how much of the land is Conservation property which I assume means it cannot be developed. This and wetlands are going to severely limit the property's development potential and in turn the price. Will see if there is any interest. I just hope that this does not turn into a long drawn out process like the sale of some other state properties including Preston and Waterford. Will see. Jay

UConn peddles W. Hfd. campus online | HartfordBusiness.com

West Hartford | University Planning, Design and Construction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Usually I am on favor of open land being protected and stopping urban sprawl in CT. However, think there is a decent amount of open land in WH. The site is already pretty developed with buildings, parking lots, and pond make for a great office site or a good place for St. Joseph to expand to.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Usually I am on favor of open land being protected and stopping urban sprawl in CT. However, think there is a decent amount of open land in WH. The site is already pretty developed with buildings, parking lots, and pond make for a great office site or a good place for St. Joseph to expand to.
There is? West Hartford has 63,000+ residents in 22 square miles. That is pretty dense IMHO. I am not sure how many acres of parks and reserved land there is but I never get the impression that the town could not use more than there is. Jay

Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM

45 posts, read 50,506 times
Of course people people that don't have the means to develop want to keep as open space. I say develop it into something awesome. People don't like in WH or other smaller cities for empty space. Create an attraction.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133 View Post
Of course people people that don't have the means to develop want to keep as open space. I say develop it into something awesome. People don't like in WH or other smaller cities for empty space. Create an attraction.
Do you live in West Hartford? Do you live near the property? I think the town's residents may disagree with you on what that "something awesome" should be. The property is zoned residential so I doubt those living near it would want something other than residential or maybe institutional (i.e. another school) on that property. There initially was an international school interested in the site. I believe they may have even made the state an offer back before the town said they may be interested in it. Will see if anyone comes forward with offers but many developers may be shy until the town formally says it is not interested. Jay

Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Do you live in West Hartford? Do you live near the property? I think the town's residents may disagree with you on what that "something awesome" should be. The property is zoned residential so I doubt those living near it would want something other than residential or maybe institutional (i.e. another school) on that property. There initially was an international school interested in the site. I believe they may have even made the state an offer back before the town said they may be interested in it. Will see if anyone comes forward with offers but many developers may be shy until the town formally says it is not interested. Jay
I have owned multiple properties in WH and very familiar with that area. It will be a prime example of why CT is stuck in the mud and can't keep up with progressive demands if they do something bland. There's an opportunity here to do something great, why spend tax money on another damn park then $$ every year on mowing the lawn? Esp when you have a gorgeous reservoir and hiking trails up the road??? Same situation with blue back and now people love it plus it has increased neighboring property values over night... If I were a neighbor I would be excited for something that would improve my area and if they don't like it, there's always Montana.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
I have owned multiple properties in WH and very familiar with that area. It will be a prime example of why CT is stuck in the mud and can't keep up with progressive demands if they do something bland. There's an opportunity here to do something great, why spend tax money on another damn park then $$ every year on mowing the lawn? Esp when you have a gorgeous reservoir and hiking trails up the road??? Same situation with blue back and now people love it plus it has increased neighboring property values over night... If I were a neighbor I would be excited for something that would improve my area and if they don't like it, there's always Montana.
Yep. There is huge market demand for upscale mixed use space. It's walkable to Whole Foods/Big Y and a major bus route to all the office towers in Hartford. Garage-under loft apartments with commercial space at the ground level and townhouses. Maybe office space where the paved parking lots are.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. There is huge market demand for upscale mixed use space. It's walkable to Whole Foods/Big Y and a major bus route to all the office towers in Hartford. Garage-under loft apartments with commercial space at the ground level and townhouses. Maybe office space where the paved parking lots are.
Do you not realize how much empty commercial space there is right now? At Bishops Corner you have the empty Wal - Mart and Bertuccis is gone and there are empty stores and restaurants in Blue Back and the center as well.

Who buys this specific piece of land and what they do with it aside, I just can't agree that West Hartford needs more commercial space.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Do you not realize how much empty commercial space there is right now? At Bishops Corner you have the empty Wal - Mart and Bertuccis is gone and there are empty stores and restaurants in Blue Back and the center as well.

Who buys this specific piece of land and what they do with it aside, I just can't agree that West Hartford needs more commercial space.
No one likes going into bishops corner... Nobody... Traffic flow and Parking are terrible and the hilly terrain make it difficult for the buildings to have great frontage. Besides, you have offices, not condos/apts. Very different than blueback or the center. And the reason why blueback has vacancy is because the new owners are asking too much rent.

I'm not suggesting another shopping mall but i dont see why a something like a mini new seabury couldn't work or even an evergreen walk with condo's . A place people can live, shop, play a little. It's big enough you can create it's own village of sorts.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
No one likes going into bishops corner... Nobody... Traffic flow and Parking are terrible and the hilly terrain make it difficult for the buildings to have great frontage. Besides, you have offices, not condos/apts. Very different than blueback or the center. And the reason why blueback has vacancy is because the new owners are asking too much rent.

I'm not suggesting another shopping mall but i dont see why a something like a mini new seabury couldn't work or even an evergreen walk with condo's . A place people can live, shop, play a little. It's big enough you can create it's own village of sorts.
Owners asking too much for rent translates to a suffering economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut