Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 10:47 AM

377 posts, read 241,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I'm glad crap gender equality, human rights violations, and murdering journalists are easy to ignore as we merrily keep selling weapons to SA. *sarcasm*
I didn't say I agreed with it. I said it was honest. And that it is. The Clinton Foundation happily accepted $ 20 million from the Sauds , and that was before they allowed any women to drive.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 AM

377 posts, read 241,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You do realize that those additional submarines predate Trump being elected as President. IF anything, those jobs should be credited to Obama whose administration started the expansion (just like the current economic climate). Jay

I will give Obama credit where credit is due, regarding the past . But I said " next year " , and of course beyond that. He actually didn't gut the military as others may suggest.

From the Hartford Courant

In March, Congress and President Donald Trump enacted a $1.3 trillion federal spending measure that earmarks $5.5 billion for Virginia class submarines, exceeding Trump’s request by $225 million.
It also includes $1.9 billion for the next generation ballistic Columbia-class submarines being designed to replace the Ohio-class submarine.

Like this from NEWP Rhode Island . Notice the last line , specifically indicating the Virginia Class and Ohio class subs mentioned above by the Courant . " New hires "

Electric Boat’s Quonset Facility is holding a job fair next week, as it continues to expand its workforce, while also replacing employees who have left through normal attrition. The company has hired some 350 new employees of the 600 jobs it requires because of new nuclear submarine construction, according to a company official.
The job fair is being held on Thursday, March 22 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the New England Institute of Technology, 2500 Post Road, Warwick. For those unable to attend the job fair, information about job opportunities is available on the company’s website, www.gdeb.com.
The company has listed several special trades among the skills it’s seeking: welding, sheet metal workers, CNC machinists, and pipefitters.
Besides the new jobs, the company annually fills between 350 to 400 jobs because of attrition, according to Brian Howard, chief of human resources at the company’s Quonset facility. Electric Boat has some 4,500 employees, Howard said. Its attrition rate is well below national figures for construction, according to the website, SABA, which suggests ideal attrition is 10 percent or less (EB’s is less than 9 percent).
Over the course of the year, with new jobs and employees lost to attrition, Electric Boat is looking to fill 1,000 positions, Howard said. By the early to mid-2020’s, he said, Electric Boat Quonset’s goal is to increase its workforce to 6,000.
Driving the new hires is the doubling of the number of submarines that are being built in the Virginia Class, and new submarines being built as the Columbia Class to replace the Ohio Class, Howard said.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:28 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
I will give Obama credit where credit is due, regarding the past . But I said " next year " , and of course beyond that. He actually didn't gut the military as others may suggest.
At the same point Reagan didn't exact start programs he simply was around when they were completed. The Stealth bomber and fighter were under Carter as was FEMA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Have_Blue

Between design, production, test and acceptance it can be years if not a decade. An old friend of mine growing up wanted to be a navy pilot. Not only did he get to be one but he's also a test pilot. Call me crazy but I'd argue he is.

The other part about military spending (outside of enlistment) is the number of bases. BRAC hearings are a real thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_R...nt_and_Closure

Old 11-01-2018, 08:15 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Stefanowski up in latest Hearst poll.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:56 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Stefanowski up in latest Hearst poll.
Link here:
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/pol...l-13355803.php

I'm a little surprised, although its within the margin of error. Also surprised that Oz didn't get a bump after the Courant endorsed him.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:57 AM

845 posts, read 680,855 times
Still holding firm on a Lamont win, and Oz having a decent showing. National political climate should be enough to drag Lamont over the finish line. Any other year he would be toast.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:05 AM

Yikes. Pretty bad optics on this story.
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/pol...s-13356039.php

Old 11-02-2018, 06:09 AM

Lamont +9 in new poll

I'd be more willing to weigh that the SHU/Hearst Poll is an outlier.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
Lamont +9 in new poll

I'd be more willing to weigh that the SHU/Hearst Poll is an outlier.
Both the Q and Hearst polls have trended tighter, with both candidates within the margin of error in the most recent polls. Its gonna be a close election (think Round 1 of Malloy/Foley). The Gravis poll that shows Lamont +9 seems like the outlier to me.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...mont-6577.html

Old 11-02-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Both the Q and Hearst polls have trended tighter, with both candidates within the margin of error in the most recent polls. Its gonna be a close election (think Round 1 of Malloy/Foley). The Gravis poll that shows Lamont +9 seems like the outlier to me.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...mont-6577.html
I would disagree. The polls that show Lamont up more show Oz down more, meaning that like most 3rd party candidates in CT Oz will flame out at the voting booth. My guess is that the Hearst poll is on the R side of its MOE and the Gravis poll is on the D side.

The race is probably +2 Lamont right now, and Oz will take about 4-5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut