Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times

Advertisements

I am honestly not familiar enough with the town to suggest a cutoff, but perhaps others here will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 07:42 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I am honestly not familiar enough with the town to suggest a cutoff, but perhaps others here will.
I only know New Haven to Greenwich mostly lol little bit of The Valley, East of New Haven shoreline , Hartford. Maybe Waterbury expert can help with Torrington area since it closer

Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
It's biggest problem is nothing other than its location. Off the beaten path, not near a cultural center, and because of this, there are very little high paying jobs in the area. The effect of this is poor schools, drugs and other social problems. Very similar to Willimantic IMO.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,409 times
I live in Thomaston and visit Torrington frequently. Torrington is not as bad as other small Connecticut cities; it isn't anywhere near as awful a place as New London, Willimantic, Derby, Ansonia, or the west end of Bristol. It is a working class town that has issues any working class place has. North of Elm St. you will be fine for sure. Many areas of Torrington look suburban or rural. The part to stay away from is the part south of downtown.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,041,281 times
North of Elm is fine. South of 202 is the bad part of town.

Torrington is no worse than a place like Amsterdam or Canajoharie or the part of Hudson that isn't Warren Street. It is gritty and has seen better days but has a few high points like the Warner Theatre.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I live in Thomaston and visit Torrington frequently. Torrington is not as bad as other small Connecticut cities; it isn't anywhere near as awful a place as New London, Willimantic, Derby, Ansonia, or the west end of Bristol. It is a working class town that has issues any working class place has. North of Elm St. you will be fine for sure. Many areas of Torrington look suburban or rural. The part to stay away from is the part south of downtown.
Agree. Much of the upper middle class has probably left and maybe much of the middle class too.

But it's not a bad town, there will still be some really nice homes that those people moved out of, and it's worst issue is probably the far off location and getting out of there in winter. I would think rents would be low due to lack of jobs. The downtown area used to be nice but was rundown when I last was there a couple of years ago.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG21 View Post
Thanks for the information so far.

Hvexpat: Naugatuck is a city I am interested in and was actually my first choice, but the options are limited there right now it seems.

in_newengland: Always sad that a city can go downhill just because of one business leaving. As you mention, I am concerned about it being a little too far north in the state then I would prefer. I've found Route 8 to be a pretty peaceful drive though in comparison to I-87 and 90 where I am now. (I can avoid AM and PM rush hours, so that is probably why!)

Lala: Good information. I live near a community now with a big heroin problem. Sad to see how it affects people.

Torrington reminds me of Troy, NY but I have only visited parts of Troy, so maybe I'm wrong. Torrington can also be compared with Pittsfield, MA but Pittsfield has much better views of the Berkshires.

I would skip Torrington all together and go with Winsted which is basically next door and will be easier to get in/out of in winter time. Look around RT 44 (downtown area) and the side streets off RT 44. Plenty of stores & restaurants you can walk to in this area if that's important.

I think $750 is too low of a budget for either area though.

IF you think this is an area you want to settle down in, IMO there are still real estate bargains to be found in Torrington & Winsted. (Winstead will have the better schools if you have kids)

Old 07-09-2017, 11:54 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I'd live in Derby or Ansonia any day over Torrington. Both have very nice working class sections and they are geographically closer to things to do.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
It would be helpful to know where you are going to work. If too far out any savings in rent will be more than eaten up in gas and related costs. I have friends who live in Torrington and I am quite familiar with Bristol.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:05 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I would skip Torrington all together and go with Winsted which is basically next door and will be easier to get in/out of in winter time. Look around RT 44 (downtown area) and the side streets off RT 44. Plenty of stores & restaurants you can walk to in this area if that's important.

I think $750 is too low of a budget for either area though.
If he is just looking for one bedroom $750 should be fine.

I'm not sure how Winsted will be easier to get out of in winter time. Torrington has Route 8 going right through it in both directions. In Winsted you can only go south on the highway. Also, downtown Torrington is much nicer than downtown Winsted. In Winsted there is more of a rundown and gritty feel than Torrington has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut