Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you fund Connecticut's transportation needs in the future?
Add tolls to Connecticut highways 45 58.44%
Raise the gas tax 14 18.18%
Institute User or Mileage Fee 5 6.49%
None (current funding is adequate) 21 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 PM

44 posts, read 23,521 times

Advertisements

As more and more info comes out on this i am surprise that there is not more outrage for this. I to was for tolls BUT after learning on what it was planed and is very much not for it. its kind of sad that a local radio morning show is the leading voice on this than most of are state representatives

here are some podcasts from a chaz and aj morning show on tolls that are state reps are saying that not for it. its more serious than what they or you might think will happen and it will bury people like me who only make around 40k per year to just go to work and has a 20min drive or just want to take a day trip somewhere and if passed will be financial forced to move out of this state. the math for me just for work from rt8 to 84 on this will be at .50 per mile in 20 miles is at 10$ one way and at 80$ per week x 20 days 1 work month is 320$ per month not including my wife travel to work.

120+ tolls pantry's on ALL interstate roads and limited access highways (said from senator of the 13th district Len Suzio)
shutting down exits so you cant avoid them (said from state rep pam staneski)
installing a new transpiration authority by the governor to regulate prices for peak and non peak hours (Said from state rep pam staneski and danbury mayor mark boughton)
.20 to .50 or more per mile on non peak hours
must use congestion pricing (said from danbury mayor mark boughton)
70% or more of ct residents will pay (said by everyone)
50% Higher rate if you have no transponder
this is the mileage tax in a different name
a sample map

look for thees podcasts

Mayor mark boughton on tolls

Pam Staneski on tolls

Inside the connecticut tolls proposal

toni boucher on killing ct tolls

20 minutes of craziness

there are a few more that you can also do a search on chaz and aj podcast
Podcasts | 99.1 PLR

i urge you if you are for tolls please do the research on this and see how much it will cost you just to go to work

Last edited by SparkyR59; 04-29-2018 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 10:34 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,924 times
I'm no longer in Ct, but before I moved people I knew were all for tolls "on the borders" and I told them they were fools; tolls just on the borders wouldn't bring in the amount of revenue the state wants. I said tolls would be on most major roads. Glad the radio hosts are trying to publicize this issue. I think it's a done deal and once tolls are approved there is no turning back. Then the pricing can be increased during peak travel times. In some states, tolls are raised the entire weekend - peak travel is not just commuting. Len Suzio and Len Fasano have the public's interest at heart, but are in the minority.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-30-2018, 07:26 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Before anyone talks about raising or lower taxes in CT how about the fact that the spending has no regulations?
There's no real procurement laws on the state or local level in CT. Even the smallest leak can sink a boat - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-30-2018, 08:41 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyR59 View Post
As more and more info comes out on this i am surprise that there is not more outrage for this. I to was for tolls BUT after learning on what it was planed and is very much not for it. its kind of sad that a local radio morning show is the leading voice on this than most of are state representatives

here are some podcasts from a chaz and aj morning show on tolls that are state reps are saying that not for it. its more serious than what they or you might think will happen and it will bury people like me who only make around 40k per year to just go to work and has a 20min drive or just want to take a day trip somewhere and if passed will be financial forced to move out of this state. the math for me just for work from rt8 to 84 on this will be at .50 per mile in 20 miles is at 10$ one way and at 80$ per week x 20 days 1 work month is 320$ per month not including my wife travel to work.

120+ tolls pantry's on ALL interstate roads and limited access highways (said from senator of the 13th district Len Suzio)
shutting down exits so you cant avoid them (said from state rep pam staneski)
installing a new transpiration authority by the governor to regulate prices for peak and non peak hours (Said from state rep pam staneski and danbury mayor mark boughton)
.20 to .50 or more per mile on non peak hours
must use congestion pricing (said from danbury mayor mark boughton)
70% or more of ct residents will pay (said by everyone)
50% Higher rate if you have no transponder
this is the mileage tax in a different name
a sample map

look for thees podcasts

Mayor mark boughton on tolls

Pam Staneski on tolls

Inside the connecticut tolls proposal

toni boucher on killing ct tolls

20 minutes of craziness

there are a few more that you can also do a search on chaz and aj podcast
Podcasts | 99.1 PLR

i urge you if you are for tolls please do the research on this and see how much it will cost you just to go to work
I do not find Chaz & AJ to be very realistic or to do anything more than push people's buttons for ratings. The state has a transportation funding problem. I doubt anyone can argue that is not true. The gas tax is the primary source of transportation funding and it has not been raised in nearly 20 years. It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that a fixed tax enacted 20 years ago does not buy anywhere near what it did back then. The thing that is most frustrating is that people like them do not propose anything to solve the problem. They simply say no and in their case gather listeners and ratings by fanning the flame.

Obviously what the Governor is proposing is very dramatic and likely a starting point in a long-term discussion that will not be implemented this year. As of last week, there was an agreement to allow CTDOT to study tolls further and come back in a year with a solid plan. The previously posted information shows a preliminary plan to install electronic tolls on state highways across the state but to offer discounts to people with Connecticut issued transponders. That would most likely be Connecticut residents. There is also a discussion that the tolls would be allowed to be deducted from the Connecticut State income tax which would further reduce the burden on Connecticut residents. My post below explains what the current proposal is. Will see if it gains any traction. Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So the first glimpse of what CTDOT officials are thinking for toll rates show a significant discount for people using a Connecticut issued transponder. That means Connecticut residents could get a discount on tolls they pass through. The discount to Connecticut residents could be even more if the state decides to allow a deduction of toll fees on state income taxes.

Federal rules now require states to charge a variable rate on tolls to help fight congestion during peak hours. Based on a document in limited release, the state would charge a base rate of 6.3 cents per mile at off-peak times and 7.9 cents per mile during peak-traffic hours. This would be among the lowest per-mile tolls in the country but is it enough to fund the massive transportation needs of our state?

Its an interesting proposal that would give the state a more reliable source of revenue for transportation. What do you think? Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...r-12868874.php

Old 04-30-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I'm no longer in Ct, but before I moved people I knew were all for tolls "on the borders" and I told them they were fools; tolls just on the borders wouldn't bring in the amount of revenue the state wants. I said tolls would be on most major roads. Glad the radio hosts are trying to publicize this issue. I think it's a done deal and once tolls are approved there is no turning back. Then the pricing can be increased during peak travel times. In some states, tolls are raised the entire weekend - peak travel is not just commuting. Len Suzio and Len Fasano have the public's interest at heart, but are in the minority.

Good luck to you!
But they have not offered a solution either which is what I find the most frustrating. I have sent Len Fasano emails asking what he thinks would be a solution and have not received a reply. As a Republican, I find this very frustrating. It is easy to dismiss something. It is not easy to come up with a solution. Sadly dismissing things is all the Connecticut Republican Party seems to do. And before you say anything, I am a Connecticut Republican and one who has voiced his disappointment in the party to itsd leaders. I just wish more people did that so that maybe they would actually do something for once. No wonder they are the minority party in this state. Jay

Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Before anyone talks about raising or lower taxes in CT how about the fact that the spending has no regulations?
There's no real procurement laws on the state or local level in CT. Even the smallest leak can sink a boat - Benjamin Franklin
As has been noted here MANY times already, there will be a question on November's ballot to put a lockbox on the Connecticut Transportation Trust Fund to stop it from being raided. Jay

Old 04-30-2018, 08:58 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Coming from MA, I know the tolls work well there. It's just on the Mass Pike but if you live in state, you have a transponder on your windshield that automatically charges the toll as you drive on through. It's wonderful because there are no more traffic jams at the toll booths, no over paid toll takers, no fussing around looking for money to hand over at the toll booth--you get a bill and you can send them a check or pay online.

If you are in state, it's cheap. Now that I am OUT OF STATE, living in CT and going on the Mass Pike once in a while--WOW--I can see that it's the out of state drivers who pay for it! Good. If this toll works like the MA tolls, it's good. In state drivers get a big discount and the out of state people who drive through pay money to CT.

Note: I've read that if you want to contact your state congress people, do it by phone. They ignore emails and letters. I would call them and also vote for tolls IF residents get a huge discount with their transponder and the OUT OF STATE drivers get slammed with big tolls.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 AM

If you would listen to the podcast even if or not you liked the hosts to what the danbury mayor said last week is, yes there is a massive spening problem and with just the gas tax alone the state can fund the projects they wanted and fix the roads. BUT because they have voted and raided the transportation funds multiple times that is why they wanted tolls. So do you guys really think that a "lock box for tolls" is going to stop them doing it again. At what point do you say enough is enough.

Last edited by SparkyR59; 04-30-2018 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 09:39 AM

712 posts, read 530,438 times
Also remember. The price per mile that is proposed is the STARTING price. They can raise the tolls as much as they want in the future. Look at the price history of the gw bridge as an example.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Also remember. The price per mile that is proposed is the STARTING price. They can raise the tolls as much as they want in the future. Look at the price history of the gw bridge as an example.
Absolutely and that is what this new transportation athority is going to deside on what that will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut