Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you fund Connecticut's transportation needs in the future?
Add tolls to Connecticut highways 45 58.44%
Raise the gas tax 14 18.18%
Institute User or Mileage Fee 5 6.49%
None (current funding is adequate) 21 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:59 AM

44 posts, read 23,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Are they going to do tolls on Route 8?
Also I-84 to Waterbury to Hartford.

Concerned this is a big thing. If it goes through wife and I have started researching other States to live in.

Because right now travel 4 to 5 days to Bridgeport. Possibly in the future will add in 2 to 3 days of travel from Waterbury to Hartford for school. Then have friends in the Meriden area we visit on a regular basis as well as family in the Danbury area.

We cabt afford $500 to $800 a month in tolls.
yes they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 AM

44 posts, read 23,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
According to this, they are considering charging state residents 50% less than out of state residents AND more importantly DROPPING the hated car tax. Wouldn't that be nice.

Also the toll for driving the 50 miles from New Haven to New York would be $2.16 which to me is not unreasonable. The 12 mile trip from Wallingford to New Haven would be 53 cents while the 22 mile trip from Southington to Hartford would be 97 cents. Again not bad.

I am not sure that the quoted cost of $300,000 for 70 toll gantries is correct. It sounds VERY low to me. Jay
it might not be bad but if you add it up you travel to these just for work thats 5 days a week times 2 for back and forth to work and it will be x then times that by 20+ for days of the month that you would travel to work that turns to hundreds of dollars for 1 month it's like a car payment or more to some. Also if you look at it per year it will be more then the property tax on the cars now. It adds up quickly and when has the state in the last 10 years deside to get rid of a tax I highly doubt it will happen

Last edited by SparkyR59; 05-01-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 AM

1,241 posts, read 905,599 times
I'm relocating out of state in late June so the toll question is irrelevant to me but I think the costs seem relatively reasonable for Connecticut residents. Having said that, I'd still try to avoid paying by taking back roads which I'm sure many people will do. I could easily commute from Wallingford to New Haven without getting on I91 or the Merritt.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM

845 posts, read 682,453 times
I support tolls. I do not support blanketing the entire state in tolls and forcing people to pay for every single exit they pass. This is a mileage fee with another name, and falls disproportionately on people who cannot take backroads or travel far to their employment.

$40 a month in tolls to get to Wallingford and back for work isn't bad. I would be okay with that. Some of these doomsday ones are just nonsense.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,718,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I'm relocating out of state in late June so the toll question is irrelevant to me but I think the costs seem relatively reasonable for Connecticut residents. Having said that, I'd still try to avoid paying by taking back roads which I'm sure many people will do. I could easily commute from Wallingford to New Haven without getting on I91 or the Merritt.
If it holds true cost of tolls per month will be equal to one week of pay.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:54 AM

540 posts, read 333,052 times
Quote:

Concerned this is a big thing. If it goes through wife and I have started researching other States to live in.

Because right now travel 4 to 5 days to Bridgeport. Possibly in the future will add in 2 to 3 days of travel from Waterbury to Hartford for school. Then have friends in the Meriden area we visit on a regular basis as well as family in the Danbury area.

If you move away to another state with tolls, but then need to spend that much more to drive/fly back and visit family and friends it would be a wash or worse no?

Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 AM

9,893 posts, read 7,238,713 times
Quote:
According to this, they are considering charging state residents 50% less than out of state residents AND more importantly DROPPING the hated car tax. Wouldn't that be nice.

Also the toll for driving the 50 miles from New Haven to New York would be $2.16 which to me is not unreasonable. The 12 mile trip from Wallingford to New Haven would be 53 cents while the 22 mile trip from Southington to Hartford would be 97 cents. Again not bad.

I am not sure that the quoted cost of $300,000 for 70 toll gantries is correct. It sounds VERY low to me. Jay
That sounds extremely low - maybe $300K each.

MA budgeted $250 million for 17 gantries and the removal of 24 toll booths.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:01 AM

540 posts, read 333,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That sounds extremely low - maybe $300K each.

MA budgeted $250 million for 17 gantries and the removal of 24 toll booths.
Its probably $300 million based on that $1.3billion estimate revenue from this.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 AM

34,970 posts, read 57,045,368 times
Quote:

Before you start panicking, do the math. The toll quoted in the article said it would cost 97 cents from Southington to Hartford. Add in the extra distance (8 miles) you would be at $1.33 each way during peak travel hours. The cost to Bridgeport would likely be about the same. Danbury also about the same and Meriden would be a little less.

So if you commute to Bridgeport five days a week, it would cost you about $13.32 per week or $53.20 per month. Your trip to Hartford would be like half that and an occasional trip to Danbury and Meriden, you are more likely around $100 per month. Then consider if they allow you to deduct this on your state income tax and even better if they eliminate the car tax, you may actually be paying less for transportation than you do now. Jay

Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,718,247 times
Quote:
Before you start panicking, do the math. The toll quoted in the article said it would cost 97 cents from Southington to Hartford. Add in the extra distance (8 miles) you would be at $1.33 each way during peak travel hours. The cost to Bridgeport would likely be about the same. Danbury also about the same and Meriden would be a little less.

So if you commute to Bridgeport five days a week, it would cost you about $13.32 per week or $53.20 per month. Your trip to Hartford would be like half that and an occasional trip to Danbury and Meriden, you are more likely around $100 per month. Then consider if they allow you to deduct this on your state income tax and even better if they eliminate the car tax, you may actually be paying less for transportation than you do now. Jay
Still 50 to 100 a month plus 140 to 160 month in gas no thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut