Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you fund Connecticut's transportation needs in the future?
Add tolls to Connecticut highways 45 58.44%
Raise the gas tax 14 18.18%
Institute User or Mileage Fee 5 6.49%
None (current funding is adequate) 21 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:02 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Automated tolls require zero employees.

I'd kind of like full disclosure. You sound like you're a state/local worker with one of those pensions none of the rest of us get. It's fine to shift the burden onto the rest of us so you can have a cushy retirement funded by somebody else?

I don't work for any state or local Govt's and never have in the past either.

Tolls will require employees for admin and maintenance at the very minimum. While I can imagine admin duties being subcontracted out, the maintenance will never be subcontracted out. We already have a state DOT to take care of that.

Regardless of the number of new employees needed anyone here who thinks the state will net more than 20% on these new tolls is sadly mistaken. We'd be lucky if the revenue generated covered current expenses and future expansion/maintenance.

Tolls are just a different and more inefficient way to collect taxes/revenue. The biggest advantages a gas tax has is that its extremely simple to calculate, administer, and collect.

IMO I would just raise the gas tax and stop crying about all of the "free loading out of staters" - which is what this toll idea is really about.

We can forget about any of the towns / cities dropping the car tax too. That's never going to happen and if some variation of it did happen the towns / cities would just raise the mill rates to offset the loss.

In some cases dropping the car tax would actually be a tax cut to the wealthy and a tax increase to the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:50 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
In some cases dropping the car tax would actually be a tax cut to the wealthy and a tax increase to the poor.
How so?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:44 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,429,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
One more reason why Jersey has the second-highest outward migration in the country. CT is the 4th, in case you're wondering, and I'm sure people will be bolstering about how this state can do no wrong because there are still 3 other states above us in that category.

Malloy tried for the #1 spot, can't say he didn't

Old 05-02-2018, 03:51 AM

712 posts, read 531,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How so?
Because wealthy people have more expensive cars. Right now a person with a bentley pays more in yearly car tax than someone with a honda civic.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,213,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Because wealthy people have more expensive cars. Right now a person with a bentley pays more in yearly car tax than someone with a honda civic.
The other half of the sentence -- continuing the class warfare BS -- a $ 50/month toll would be proportionally heavier to somebody making $ 30k/year versus somebody making $ 3 million/yr.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:22 AM

44 posts, read 23,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The other half of the sentence -- continuing the class warfare BS -- a $ 50/month toll would be proportionally heavier to somebody making $ 30k/year versus somebody making $ 3 million/yr.
And that's exactly what out of touch people can't grasp that concept about tolls it's going to crush us with on top of all the other tax burden we have already. just wate and see what's going to happen to waterbury torrington Bridgeport thomastion and so forth where are income is at 30k to 60k

Old 05-02-2018, 05:52 AM

4,468 posts, read 3,363,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyR59 View Post
And that's exactly what out of touch people can't grasp that concept about tolls it's going to crush us with on top of all the other tax burden we have already. just wate and see what's going to happen to waterbury torrington Bridgeport thomastion and so forth where are income is at 30k to 60k

I was just thinking about this. All the money you will get back from Trump's tax cuts will be going to the new tolls.

And the people in FFC in the higher tax brackets will be getting hit twice all at once. Once with the new tolls and then with the fact that most people in FFC will not be able to take state taxes over $10,000 from their federal returns.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:04 AM

845 posts, read 682,345 times
Money back from the tax cuts... lol what a great joke

I barely noticed anything. Anything little thing I would notice would be gone in the $40 a month I'll pay. Unlike most, I still support tolls, priced right. So far I think the pricing is okay, reducing it another cent/mile and I would be fine with it.

The fiscal calamity we are at now is because of decades of voting for Ds and Rs who didn't care and thought the gravy train would come forever. Those days are gone, so we need to do something.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:38 AM

540 posts, read 332,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyR59 View Post
Which is why it only makes sense to eliminate the gas tax with the implementation of tolls.

If this is really to have out of stater's pay their share of road usage, tolls will be much more effective in doing that than a gas tax. Pretty much every car on the road is capable of filling up a gas tank and driving through the entire state without stopping. Effectively not paying for their share of road use, to avoid paying tolls while traveling they would have to avoid our state entirely. This would then fund the repairing of roads with a correlation to tolls which is how much money is made from their use.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,189,142 times
Polls will hurt the Post rd traffic which is already bad. As people will not want to go for a few exits if they can bypass a toll.
As a previous poster mentioned if kept to a nominal amount it might be a non issue.
Again the real issue is spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut