Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,921 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I wanted to get some information on the area from residents or students who have lived in New Haven.

We are a young professional couple moving from NYC to New Haven for one year this Summer.

My partner is doing a one year program at Yale. I travel for work and usually do my work in coffee shops to get out of the house.

We are in our 20s and would like to live near walking distance to nightlife and restaurants. We have never visited. What areas do you recommend to live and hang out?

We plan on renting a SFH on the Yale bus route and money isn't really an issue since any rent is still less than NYC prices.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 PM

167 posts, read 176,148 times
If money isn't an issue then look downtown, near Yale's campus. That's the most happening part of the city and everything you'll need will be within walking distance.

The perimeter neighborhoods (East Rock, Wooster Square, etc) are nice but decidedly less "city". You can walk downtown from those neighborhoods but a bus/Uber/bike is more realistic. Upper State Street in East Rock would be my second suggestion if downtown doesn't interest you for some reason.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:49 PM

1,241 posts, read 904,846 times
You will find much nicer coffee shops for working in East Rock IMHO.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I agree that downtown is likely your best bet for what you are looking for. It is close to Yale and all the bars, restaurants and entertainment there plus there are coffee shops downtown that you can work at so that should not be a problem. Jay

Old 03-07-2018, 08:26 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
You will find much nicer coffee shops for working in East Rock IMHO.
Not always. Cedarhurst and the Blue State's are some of my favorite coffee shops for working. G Cafe and Book Trader are nice too.

OP, if budget isn't a concern, there's some great new apartments in Downtown, as well as Upper State Street. Some listed below:

Love these, because they're in relatively quiet, nice areas, but also near so much:
https://the-novella.com/
https://www.corsairapartments.com/

Some other great options, in the heart of dowtown:
https://metrostarproperties.com/new-...ct-apartments/
https://www.dwellstudentnewhaven.com/
https://renttheunion.com/
https://www.360statestreet.com/ (I actually don't love the area this is in, but the building is amazing)

Old 03-08-2018, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,921 times
Thanks. What about the crime in the area, is it safe downtown? I keep reading the crime stats and now I'm worried.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:54 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale1234 View Post
Thanks. What about the crime in the area, is it safe downtown? I keep reading the crime stats and now I'm worried.
Like any city New Haven has its good areas and it’s bad. Downtown New Haven is as safe as any other downtown. Just be a bit careful and you will be fine. Jay

Old 03-08-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale1234 View Post
Crime has gone down a lot as the city has gentrified. So don't look at stats from 7 years ago and get too worried. Downtown is pretty safe, especially around those apartments listed. The only area that gets sketch is between 360 State and the green on Chapel Street. While I wouldn't feel threatened there, it can be a rough crowd and drug dealing is common at the bus stops there.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 PM

4,281 posts, read 5,943,664 times
Our son and his girlfriend lived in downtown New Haven from the summer of 2011 to the summer of 2014. They lived at 900 Chapel Street which provided them with indoor garage parking beneath the building, and their 2 BR Apartment on the second floor looked out onto an interior courtyard. Their apartment could be accessed from either the courtyard or the interior hallways. Freight elevator to the sub-basement level loading dock for move-in and move-out, which was connected via tunnel to a street entrance 2 or 3 blocks South.

The Management Company was horrible but may have improved since. Lobby was attended 24 hours/day and the Guards were always friendly. There were 4 or 6 elevators from the main lobby to upper floors. It was a large apartment with two foolishly massive bathrooms. Lots of light in the main living area, bedrooms were dark which made for great sleeping conditions but not studying.

I think they paid around $2000 per month. I had to co-sign their lease since he was working in a Lab at Yale and she was a PhD candidate which didn't yield them enough income to qualify for the lease without a co-signer.

https://pmcpropertygroup.com/locatio...icut/new-haven

Crime was still a concern then! He told me later that of all the undergrad students, graduate students, and Post Docs whom he worked with during those three years, he was the only one who was not mugged in downtown New Haven. Work was an easily walkable distance but if he had to stay later at night to complete lab tests, he would walk home in the middle afternoon to get his car and park it next to his lab building in the Medical Campus area.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 03-08-2018 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Crime was still a concern then! He told me later that of all the undergrad students, graduate students, and Post Docs whom he worked with during those three years, he was the only one who was not mugged in downtown New Haven.
What do you mean "still"? That was a high point for crime there, with 2011 a near-record year for homicides. 2017 in comparison was a sliver of the homicides and all crime stats are down dramatically since then.

I also reallllly question the exaggeration of that mugging statement. I know a lot of people that have worked downtown, and at the hospital. Many female. I worked in New Haven for 2 years, and myself, nor any of my coworkers were ever mugged or a victim of a crime. And I've been going out pretty regularly for dinner and entertainment/cultural outlets there for 8 years now. Never had an incident.

You're suggesting a near 100% chance of being mugged working in downtown New Haven, which is BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut