Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 06:36 PM

1,241 posts, read 912,704 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both Scotland and Sweden. The healthcare I received in both countries was as good as that I've received anywhere in the US.

Again, what are you basing your claim on? Your own experience living abroad? Secondhand stories from family in London? Anecdotal evidence from uncle Hank in Canada? Actual data supporting your claim? I think we have great healthcare in the US (if you're lucky enough to have access to it which I do thankfully) but other countries have equally great health care systems and if you look at health outcomes, access to services, etc. we lag behind comparable countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Where is it so much better?
Have you lived overseas? Have family overseas that give you first hand reports

Last edited by JGBigGreen; 06-14-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 06:53 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
No system is perfect....true. Fraud under 1%!? It's so so much higher......

Perhaps before the information age a.k.a the advent of computers. There is so much cross referencing now it would be extremely difficult to scam. Same thing goes for Govt corruption.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:15 PM

35,136 posts, read 57,283,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
25% paying 66% seems fine, by me. I actually favor an absolute flat tax. No deductions nor exemptions. No carried interest income. Income is income.
You may be fine with it but it is hardly their fair share. That’s the whole point, why should the wealthy get away with paying less and the rest of us get stuck paying more. What the Walton family doesn’t have enough eight figure paintings in their collection?

I also deeply resent that companies like Wal-Mart and McDonalds rely on public assistance like food stamps and Medicaid for their employees when their top executives are making eight figures plus. That’s completely unfair. Furthermore I resent the fact that these rich people got a massive tax cut that added to an already insane National Debt. The amount from just the four years Trump was in office comes to $23,500 per person. Do you have that kind of money lying around? I don’t. It’s time for a title fairness to return to our government. I’m just not seeing the Republicans doing that given their past history. Jay

Old 06-15-2021, 04:13 PM

34,189 posts, read 17,265,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You may be fine with it but it is hardly their fair share. That’s the whole point, why should the wealthy get away with paying less and the rest of us get stuck paying more. What the Walton family doesn’t have enough eight figure paintings in their collection?
Fairness is subjective. I am not jealous of the Walton kids, nor any other families. I just focus on doing what I need to for me, family, and friends.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:00 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,198,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I've lived in both Scotland and Sweden. The healthcare I received in both countries was as good as that I've received anywhere in the US.

Again, what are you basing your claim on? Your own experience living abroad? Secondhand stories from family in London? Anecdotal evidence from uncle Hank in Canada? Actual data supporting your claim? I think we have great healthcare in the US (if you're lucky enough to have access to it which I do thankfully) but other countries have equally great health care systems and if you look at health outcomes, access to services, etc. we lag behind comparable countries.

Yes living overseas, and from relatives anecdotally. Uncle passed from prostate cancer. No screening, Aunt breast cancer, no mammograms. Brother in law with bad hernia waiting 6 months for operation.
Socialized medicine. My daughter was treated in an ER in England few years ago. Great care from the Paramedic to the ER. Wife had to go to ER in Paris. Was fine.

Access here is a mess, but it's the insurance system. It's been broken for a while. Obamacare made it worse for most.
Think the US is ahead of every country with CV....

Old 06-15-2021, 08:06 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,198,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Perhaps before the information age a.k.a the advent of computers. There is so much cross referencing now it would be extremely difficult to scam. Same thing goes for Govt corruption.
Most govt computer systems are in the dark age.
But that's not really the point.
Why is the family unit broken in low income areas. Because they get rewarded for not being married.
Less bennies married. Yet they live together sometimes. Had a couple with kids each had their own place.
Section 8 for both individually. The man came as he pleased into his baby mamas life.
Try to get some of the same to work over 30 hours.....no way. Make more not working.
Quit my job and lie about it to collect. The UI staff basically coaches them on the phone on how to collect.
It's a completely one sided affair.
This is not about computers......your just showing how little you know about this...

Old 06-16-2021, 03:16 PM

35,136 posts, read 57,283,682 times
Quote:
Fairness is subjective. I am not jealous of the Walton kids, nor any other families. I just focus on doing what I need to for me, family, and friends.
You continuously complain about taxes yet do not see that your tax dollars are going to subsidize the rich and big business. Jay

Old 06-16-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You continuously complain about taxes yet do not see that your tax dollars are going to subsidize the rich and big business. Jay
I do not agree they subsidize the rich, as most people without marketable skills drift from one minimum wage job to another, while maintaining social welfare benefits. We are truly subsiding their lack of initiative. The jobs where they earn so little are best suited for teenagers and retirees supplementing SS. Not for folks in prime working years. I knew it as a 17 year old working at the Connecticut Post, and it is every bit as true now. Most of the others bagging or ringing groceries then also were college bound, and Stop & Shop was simply a short term way to earn a bit of money, and get a little initial work history.

If I had chosen not to add education past high school, nor training, and still been doing such jobs, the taxpayers would be subsidizing my lifestyle choices or lack of initiative, not the employer nor industry.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:39 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Quote:
I do not agree they subsidize the rich, as most people without marketable skills drift from one minimum wage job to another, while maintaining social welfare benefits. We are truly subsiding their lack of initiative. The jobs where they earn so little are best suited for teenagers and retirees supplementing SS. Not for folks in prime working years. I knew it as a 17 year old working at the Connecticut Post, and it is every bit as true now. Most of the others bagging or ringing groceries then also were college bound, and Stop & Shop was simply a short term way to earn a bit of money, and get a little initial work history.

If I had chosen not to add education past high school, nor training, and still been doing such jobs, the taxpayers would be subsidizing my lifestyle choices or lack of initiative, not the employer nor industry.

Who are working the jobs at fast food or dept stores while teenagers are in school during the day ?

Is Mcdonalds closed during lunch ? That's their busiest time. So the argument that teenagers can fill these jobs is silly.

The decline of unions and off shoring of manufacturing jobs is mostly to blame.

What people don't realize is the US changed from a manufacturing economy to a service economy. The service jobs now need to pay living wages like the manufacturing jobs did in the past.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Who are working the jobs at fast food or dept stores while teenagers are in school during the day ?

Not a customer. Not sure. It's also not important who does the job, as the fair market value does not change based on needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut