Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:13 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, it was the Glastonbury Boulevard store. I found it dark. Some aisles were hard to see merchandise. DW, who shops there all the time noticed it too. Has to do with the darker color scheme and lighting. Before the colors were brighter and the lighting better so it was bright.

Funny I did not like Shaw’s when it was there. Back then I did as much food shopping as she did. Did not care for their meats and produce and found it annoying that they were out of things. How can a major supermarket not have larger bottles of Heinz ketchup? When I asked the manager about it, he said to just buy their store brand instead. They said that for other items I could not find which I found annoying. I just stopped going there after that. Jay
That is so weird! I don't have any light/dark issues in that store, though I'm usually on the perimeter. It is definitely something I'd complain about too - one of my biggest pet peeves in restaurants is lighting so dim that I can't read the menu.

I've noticed that Shop Rite is even worse for brands than Shaw's or Stop and Shop. I remember running in there for a couple of things one day because I was already in the parking lot and could not find what I was looking for in a brand name. Pretty sure it was a muffin mix and a spice or flavoring. I was pretty annoyed as the store brands looked really cheap so I had to go to S&S anyway. Now that I think about it, I don't think they had the muffin mix at all - I was looking at sometime simple like blueberry muffins. And there weren't any empty spots for it.

OTOH they carry individual Hosmer soda and Shady Glen ice cream. S&S has eliminated their store brand cane sugar sodas that you could buy singly. I don't buy soda often but when I do, I don't really need or want a pack of them and I liked that they had $1 ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That is so weird! I don't have any light/dark issues in that store, though I'm usually on the perimeter. It is definitely something I'd complain about too - one of my biggest pet peeves in restaurants is lighting so dim that I can't read the menu.

I've noticed that Shop Rite is even worse for brands than Shaw's or Stop and Shop. I remember running in there for a couple of things one day because I was already in the parking lot and could not find what I was looking for in a brand name. Pretty sure it was a muffin mix and a spice or flavoring. I was pretty annoyed as the store brands looked really cheap so I had to go to S&S anyway. Now that I think about it, I don't think they had the muffin mix at all - I was looking at sometime simple like blueberry muffins. And there weren't any empty spots for it.

OTOH they carry individual Hosmer soda and Shady Glen ice cream. S&S has eliminated their store brand cane sugar sodas that you could buy singly. I don't buy soda often but when I do, I don't really need or want a pack of them and I liked that they had $1 ones.
My issue was not in the perimeter of the store, it was down the aisles. They were narrow and dark and those stupid displays of useless items they set up in EVERY aisle maks it even worse. I wasn't there during a busy time but can only imagine what a pain it is then.

I prefer Highland Park Market. The meats are excellent but pricier and they don't have the larger sizes in many products I buy but it is definitely a more manageable size and pleasant to shop there. Plus everyone is friendly and helpful so I go there a couple times a week now. Jay

Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,148,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Welcome to Ct. Its a great place to do business!!
Most of the competitors pay less and are not union. You complain about Stop & Shops higher prices.....how do you think they pay union goodies?
"Id happily pay more if i knew the employees were being paid more" is a big fat lie. Not for everyone, but most.

Human nature is what it is. We all want the best deal....for us first. Accept that.

Obamacare wrecked health insurance. Most every company has done what they are doing. Passing on costs.

Personally i love the store. Get my banking done, get my gas points, buy whats on sale....my family likes Trader joes. Its all good
I knew it! It's Obama's fault!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
My issue was not in the perimeter of the store, it was down the aisles. They were narrow and dark and those stupid displays of useless items they set up in EVERY aisle maks it even worse. I wasn't there during a busy time but can only imagine what a pain it is then.

I prefer Highland Park Market. The meats are excellent but pricier and they don't have the larger sizes in many products I buy but it is definitely a more manageable size and pleasant to shop there. Plus everyone is friendly and helpful so I go there a couple times a week now. Jay
That's what I was saying, I don't go down the isles often so I guess I'm not seeing the same issue. My biggest issue after the renovation was that I couldn't find anything, but luckily they put cheat sheets at the end of every isle.

Highland Park! I've heard such good things about them, have not gotten more than a sandwich or an odd item there. I fear it would be like shopping at Whole Foods price-wise. The stores are really nice though!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:47 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:

You’re lucky you even got a renovation. The one near me was old, with stained flooring and marked up walls. Almost every cart had a defective wheel (pet peeve). It would be one thing if the prices were low to justify shopping there, but that wasn’t the case!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Stop and Shop has to be one of the worst run grocery stores in the country. Their stores are dingy, produce subpar at best, prices sky high, employees miserable, etc. Hopefully this strike will get corporate to pay attention. If not, I hope they fold.
+1. I don't know why anyone shops there, especially where there are alternative grocery stores in the area. We have two other grocery stores in Wilton that are locally owned and much better than S&S, yet people keep going to S&S. Boggles the mind.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You’re lucky you even got a renovation. The one near me was old, with stained flooring and marked up walls. Almost every cart had a defective wheel (pet peeve). It would be one thing if the prices were low to justify shopping there, but that wasn’t the case!
Both Glastonbury stores were fixed up. The East Hartford one (Silver Lane) is a pit. I'm not sure there is any hope for that one.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That's what I was saying, I don't go down the isles often so I guess I'm not seeing the same issue. My biggest issue after the renovation was that I couldn't find anything, but luckily they put cheat sheets at the end of every isle.

Highland Park! I've heard such good things about them, have not gotten more than a sandwich or an odd item there. I fear it would be like shopping at Whole Foods price-wise. The stores are really nice though!
Whole Foods is expensive because it sells natural and organic foods which are more expensive to begin with. Highland sells the same brands as Stop & Shop only they are a little higher in price. When we were on a tight budget I avoided it because of that but now I go there and just bite the bullet on prices. Can't tell you if its too costly for you or not. Their meats are more but they do have sales which I shop by. They are also much better quality. You might check it out for a shopping trip or two while Stop & Shop is on strike to see if you notice the difference or not. Jay

Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Whole Foods is expensive because it sells natural and organic foods which are more expensive to begin with. Highland sells the same brands as Stop & Shop only they are a little higher in price. When we were on a tight budget I avoided it because of that but now I go there and just bite the bullet on prices. Can't tell you if its too costly for you or not. Their meats are more but they do have sales which I shop by. They are also much better quality. You might check it out for a shopping trip or two while Stop & Shop is on strike to see if you notice the difference or not. Jay
Thanks! I just may, it's really not in my daily travels though. We may be stuck with Shop Rite for awhile. I wish they'd clean up the Aldi's on Silver Lane - I'd go there more otherwise.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
$15 hour minimum wage, which is on its way in CT + TOLLS coming all over the state, plus the fact S&s actually offers *pensions*, plus the 5 weeks vacation demanded = the absolute decimation of and death nail in the coffin for either S&S in its entirety; or at a minimum, the death of the “concept” of a S&S full-time employee.

It’s at a lager head, and there is no doubt the S&S full-time employee will lose either way. Writing is on the wall.

They will go the way of the dodo bird

Massachusetts has a $15 minimum wage coming and it has tolls. Market Basket is the dominant grocery store chain in the eastern half of the state. It's non-union. The employees like working there. They have competitive compensation and benefits. They like the owner/management to the point where they went on strike a couple of years ago because another family member took control and was going to sell it to a giant corporation. The other corporate-owned grocery store chains in the region have had a huge wave of store closures. Market Basket beats them on price, service, and quality.

This is all about lousy ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut