Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:12 AM

4,463 posts, read 3,360,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
here’s a stereotype wplr keeps bringing back every december:

https://youtu.be/j1xrfgvyrbw

That's funny lol.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoVA View Post
Onto Fairfield County, anyone?
Too easy.

Rich spoiled people.........cut and paste cut and paste etc......poor folks in Bridgeport.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:27 AM

990 posts, read 603,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
where are the stereotypes?
Assuming everything in Bridgeport is in disrepair while everything in Fairfield is great, everything in Easton is woods, etc.

But yeah I hate generalizing stereotypes to such a large population as a town so I basically never do it. So I guess I'm bad at making the stereotype

Funnier however is stereotyping Greenfield Hills as the Green Mountains. For someone who lives downtown they sorta are.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:38 AM

6,934 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Assuming everything in Bridgeport is in disrepair while everything in Fairfield is great, everything in Easton is woods, etc.

But yeah I hate generalizing stereotypes to such a large population as a town so I basically never do it. So I guess I'm bad at making the stereotype

Funnier however is stereotyping Greenfield Hills as the Green Mountains. For someone who lives downtown they sorta are.
it was rhetorical, don't worry about it, thanks anyway

There are actually parts of Bridgeport that are nicer than parts of Fairfield. I've never heard Green Mountains but I'm not familiar with the area, nice.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Too easy.

Rich spoiled people.........cut and paste cut and paste etc......poor folks in Bridgeport.
This (of course) is definitely the stereotype of the whole county (so nice job), but I find it really annoying, especially since I think it gives the town a bad rep given it shares the name.

Many people assume everyone in Fairfield is really rich and snobby when MOST of the people here are quite nice and friendly (I'm well aware of the baseball mom case, and she is unfortunately one of the few contributing to the stereotype).

The really wealthy neighborhoods of Southport and Greenfield Hills (which in some ways are more like neighboring Westport than the rest of town) are indeed the FFC stereotype, but less than 20% of the population lives in the entire Western half (west of the Mill River) of town.

Don't get me wrong, there are nice areas east such as parts of the Beach Area/ Round Hill/ Stratfield. But don't expect Mega-Mansions all the way up to the Bridgeport line.

At the end though that's one of the things I like about the town. It has something for everyone.

PS you know that's the real stereotype because you got a resident somewhat angrily commenting on it

Also stereotypes do indeed come from real portions of the same population. So the sin isn't having them but rather generalizing them to everyone.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:07 AM

6,934 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
This (of course) is definitely the stereotype of the whole county (so nice job), but I find it really annoying, especially since I think it gives the town a bad rep given it shares the name.

Many people assume everyone in Fairfield is really rich and snobby when MOST of the people here are quite nice and friendly (I'm well aware of the baseball mom case, and she is unfortunately one of the few contributing to the stereotype).

The really wealthy neighborhoods of Southport and Greenfield Hills (which in some ways are more like neighboring Westport than the rest of town) are indeed the FFC stereotype, but less than 20% of the population lives in the entire Western half (west of the Mill River) of town.

Don't get me wrong, there are nice areas east such as parts of the Beach Area/ Round Hill/ Stratfield. But don't expect Mega-Mansions all the way up to the Bridgeport line.

At the end though that's one of the things I like about the town. It has something for everyone.

PS you know that's the real stereotype because you got a resident somewhat angrily commenting on it

Also stereotypes do indeed come from real portions of the same population. So the sin isn't having them but rather generalizing them to everyone.
No, no, no

These are stereotypes my friend.

Bridgeport - Hoodies and Slugs
Fairfield - Glorified Stratford
Easton - Home of the Melon Heads
Trumbull - Trumbull

Last edited by SteveM85; 10-02-2019 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 09:13 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:

Shelton:
A river town that's seen better days (I think it's technically a city but it's really a town). I've honestly only been there for the sports complex, which is a shame.
Never heard that one before. If anything, Shelton is seeing some of its best days.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I know but the topic is stereotyping. Most of my friends I have met in my area of Trumbull are in Fairfield and Westport.

There is stereotyping in Fairfield County about one another. I grew up in Stamford but I have/had relatives in Greenwich and Darien too. When I moved to Trumbull lots of people would say "poor CTartist had to move up to Bridgeport* because she can't afford it down here". It tell everyone I am fine lol.

So I get to Trumbull and I started to work as a music therapist about 10 years ago and I play at some locations in Bridgeport. When people find out I am from Trumbull they say to me "your rich". I try to tell them "I am not rich just part of the struggling middle class" and they just laugh.

BTW I have made many friends in Bridgeport and some of the nicest people I know live there.

*They call Trumbull Bridgeport north.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
No, no, no

These are stereotypes my friend.

Easton - Home of the Melon Heads
Trumbull - Trumbull
lol

I know what you mean about Trumbull. It is so generic suburban there is nothing really unique or funny about it.

What do you mean by melon head?

Is this what you mean? I never hear do this before.
The Melon Heads of Connecticut - New England Historical Society

Old 10-02-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Never heard that one before. If anything, Shelton is seeing some of its best days.
I didn't say I agreed with the stereotypes.

But I think around here (Fairfield) Shelton is associated with the Naugatuck Valley, and so people associate it with Derby/Seymour/Ansonia.

Although I remember from our "classifying CT towns" forum a year or two ago that Shelton being a valley town or not was the single most controversial topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut