Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 11:32 PM

388 posts, read 549,372 times

Advertisements

So apparently now the job will be in Windsor, so do you all have any recommendations, again no more than a 30 min commute, we don't need schools, ideally we get a 4 bdr /2 garage or more house with a tree filled lot with as little grass as possible, but are there town centers I should look at? We do currently live in a more urban environment and I think we should at least look at some non ruralish type homes.
What are the downside of living an Mass but working in CT? It seems a tax disadvantage, do I have that right? Higher property and sales tax? Would we have to pay some income tax to MA also?
Also are there real upsides to being on mains water and natural gas? Enough to compromise on other aspects?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 08:40 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
The closest city I could recommend in MA is Northampton which is a bit of a drive.

I’d recommend West Hartford. Best town center in area by far. Property taxes are a little high, so if that deters you, a nearby town could work too.

Manchester and Glastonbury are two others I’d look at.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:42 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
If you don’t need good schools and want more of an urban or dense suburban vibe, I’d look in Windsor itself, Bloomfield, parts of Manchester, Newington, Wethersfield and Rocky Hill. Be picky about neighborhoods in the first three I mentioned, as some can be iffy, but those cities have many nice pockets.

The good thing about living in CT is you can live in these towns, yet be close enough to neighboring town centers to take full advantage of them.

I don’t think the tax savings is enough to justify MA living and CT working, but I don’t know enough about MA taxes to make a suggestion either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The closest city I could recommend in MA is Northampton which is a bit of a drive.

I’d recommend West Hartford. Best town center in area by far. Property taxes are very high, so if that deters you, a nearby town could work too.

Manchester and Glastonbury are two others I’d look at.
Fixed it for you.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:15 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
I'd look in Windsor, or even north to northwest.

A Windsor-Glastonbury commute can be tough in traditional rush hour traffic. I would also not do West Hartford, you'll have to find ways around on back roads during bad traffic time (and taxes). I've lived in Windsor and commuted to both of those towns.

Manchester wouldn't be bad as there is a highway to cut across.

Personally I'd check out Granby/East Granby/Suffield. I'm not sure about their town centers.

Natural gas is great. If you pay tax in MA you'll get a credit in CT

Old 07-02-2022, 02:01 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
So apparently now the job will be in Windsor, so do you all have any recommendations, again no more than a 30 min commute, we don't need schools, ideally we get a 4 bdr /2 garage or more house with a tree filled lot with as little grass as possible, but are there town centers I should look at? We do currently live in a more urban environment and I think we should at least look at some non ruralish type homes.
What are the downside of living an Mass but working in CT? It seems a tax disadvantage, do I have that right? Higher property and sales tax? Would we have to pay some income tax to MA also?
Also are there real upsides to being on mains water and natural gas? Enough to compromise on other aspects?
Thanks!
I’d look at Windsor itself. It’s a nice town with reasonable taxes and it has a nice, but small town center. There are many beautiful neighborhoods and your budget would go far there. In fact your budget would be high there. Below are a couple homes you could consider there.

As Stylo suggested, West Hartford is also a good suggestion it has one of the best town centers in the state with tons of restaurants and shopping and many beautiful homes in walkable neighborhoods. As he also noted though, taxes are higher there but most people there do not care and feel it’s worth it.

If you want to be near the conveniences of West Hartford but with lower taxes consider neighboring Farmington. It’s a lovely town with beautiful homes. It is located in the beautiful Farmington River Valley which has a sort of Shang-ra-la feel to it. There are no highways into or out of the valley which keeps it calm and quiet. Other towns in the valley you might want to consider are Avon, Simsbury, Burlington, Canton and Granby. They are just beautiful.

Why would you consider Massachusetts? It’s at least a 20 minutes drive, likely more, and there’s no tax advantage at all really. Unless you have family or friends there, there isn’t anything better about it.

The advantages of city water is that you don’t have to worry about have a sufficient supply of water or maintaining a well pump. You also won’t lose your water during power outages which could happen at times.

Natural gas is one of the most efficient and reasonably priced sources of heat. People likes it’s convenience and virtually no maintenance. To many it’s certainly an asset to have. It’s up to you if it’s worth it or not. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...22011175_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...59014166_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...59015011_zpid/

Old 07-02-2022, 06:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'd look in Windsor, or even north to northwest.

A Windsor-Glastonbury commute can be tough in traditional rush hour traffic. I would also not do West Hartford, you'll have to find ways around on back roads during bad traffic time (and taxes). I've lived in Windsor and commuted to both of those towns.

Manchester wouldn't be bad as there is a highway to cut across.

Personally I'd check out Granby/East Granby/Suffield. I'm not sure about their town centers.

Natural gas is great. If you pay tax in MA you'll get a credit in CT
Windsor sounds like a good choice to me.

Just FYI, East Granby is near Bradley International Airport, so you might want to keep in mind the amount of air traffic if you're looking there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut