Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:53 AM

265 posts, read 488,713 times

Advertisements

We are coming up for our house-hunting trip next week and would love recommendations for non-chain (1-2 locations in a particular city/region is fine--but nothing with larger regional or national locations) in the Glastonbury/Marlborough area. We need recommendations for breakfast as well as lunch & dinner. We love all types of food--haven't met any that we really don't like yet, so feel free to suggest some authentic ethnic cuisines. We are willing to drive a little outside of that region for dinner one or two nights, but during the day we will be touring houses, so will need to keep in that general area.

Also--is there anything else that is a "must see" in the Glastonbury/Marlborough area while we are there? It's our only trip to find a house, so we are going to pack a LOT in to a week and are taking plenty of pictures to bring home for our kids to see. When we moved to TN, the public library caught our eye as it is beautiful, architecturally interesting, and really quite impressive. Any public buildings/landmarks that we should see?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM

21,793 posts, read 28,166,701 times
Bricco in Glastonbury is really good. There are tons of restaurants in West Hartford to choose from.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,430,249 times
In Marlborough, Sadler's is very good. Everything they serve is house made and the menu is a modern twist on traditional fare. They do breakfast on weekends only. Sadler's Restaurant & Bakery

If you just need a quick breakfast sandwich and coffee, Marlborough Bakery fits the bill. Marlborough Country Bakery, CT, Catering, Deli, Gourmet Take-Out

Glastonbury has many more options. There is a regional/Hartford area chain called Max Restaurant Group which is known for quality food and service. Their Max Amore (Italian) and Max Fish (seafood) in Glastonbury are both very good. Welcome to the Max Restaurant Group

Bricco Trattoria (Italian) is a restaurant run by celebrated local chef Billy Grant. Home - Home - BillyGrant.com

2 Hopewell calls itself a "neighborhood bistro" and is very good. Check out their tavern menu for more casual fare or their regular menu for more formal dining. Home - 2Hopewell The 2 Hopewell owners also run Birch Hill Tavern, which I heard is good but haven't been there so I can't vouch for it personally.
Birch Hill Tavern, Glastonbury, CT 06033

I know there are more that I am forgetting. I am sure others (JayCT?) will chime in.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 AM

6,168 posts, read 5,128,694 times
My favorite in Glastonbury is Pond House Grille (sister restaurant of the one in West Hartford) but a lot more spacious!

Pond House Grille

Also would highly recommend Daybreak Coffee Roasters

Gourmet Corporate Coffee Gift Baskets Gourmet Coffee Roaster Coffee Roasters Organic Coffee Espresso Coffee Maker Wholesale Coffee Wholesale Tea Coffee Makers Daybreak Coffee Roasters

Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM

34,975 posts, read 57,065,662 times
For breakfast, try either Ken's or the Glastonbury Coffee House. Ken's is kind of a homey breakfast/lunch place while Glastonbury Coffee House is sort of an old-fashioned coffee shop from the 70's. There is also Lotte's out at Buck's Corner. If you just want bagels or breakfast sandwiches, the best is Patty Cakes off Hebron in town.

If you want a quick lunch try Highland Park Market in East Glastonbury. They make great sandwiches (get the junior size unless you love big sandwiches) and have good slices of pizza. There is no place to sit and eat though you can go across the street to Buckingham Park if it is nice.

For Chinese we like Ming Bao on Hebron for convenience. There is also Wang Palace on Main Street in town. The best Chinese though is Char Koon in South Glastonbury.

Our favorite restaurant in town if Max Fish. If you want steak, try Gilberts, though it is part fo a chain. Still it is good. Also Maggie McFly's is good with a large menu but it can be noisy.

For Italian try Piatti on Hebron Avenue outside of downtown. I like it A LOT better than Pazzos because I find to owners of Pazzos to be downright nasty. I have boycotted the place for years and I was one of their best regulars when they opened. Even their staff think the owner is a jerk. Jay

Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,971,192 times
interesting - just tried Pazzo's for the first time today for lunch and thought it was good, but not great. Service seemed fine, but I guess I didn't deal with the owner.

There are too many good restaurants in that Main & Hebron Avenue area of Glastonbury, though, to narrow it down to just one or two, or even three. I like Bricco quite a bit.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM

625 posts, read 2,052,752 times
I really love the Spicy Green Bean for lunch. In Glastonbury center area on Hebron Ave. Restaurants Hartford CT, Restaurant Glastonbury | Spicy Green Bean

Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,430,249 times
Good call, Amy. I forgot about the Spicy Green Bean. That is a favorite lunch spot of mine.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 AM

265 posts, read 488,713 times
Thanks for all these suggestions!! I'm positive we will dine well next week and have a bunch of places to try once we are up for good in May!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:58 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,094,084 times
We lived in Glastonbury for about 9 years before we relocated to Florida (via Middletown Ct for a year first). If you like Asian food, I highly recommend Char Koons in south Glastonbury, superb food with a twist. Also, agreed above with any of the Max restaurants, they are good. for a good Steak, J Gilberts is darn good. For a burger, even though it is a small chain, Plan B can't be beat. Plenty of good places to eat in Glastonbury for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut