Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 06:43 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,154,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What does “letting natural herd immunity happen” mean? Like, lifting all restrictions and going hog wild?

Think you’re inferring something else than what I’ve said.

4% of the country has been confirmed with a positive test. There is a big delta between cases and infections. For someone espousing science, you should know that.

Immune will not last forever. But most experts agree reinfections are very rare and unlikely in this young pandemic. Most signs are that immunity will last more than a year. The longer the pandemic lasts, the higher the risk of reinfection. So, good thing there’s a vaccine that works.
I'm not sure if that delta is nearly so big as it was in the spring. We have way, way more testing.

And it has seemed that you are a believe in, not exactly going hog wild, but having fewer restrictions. I've been a believer in restrictions to contain the damage until the cavalry arrives in 2021. It's looking more promising that they will indeed arrive. If one didn't have any faith that doctors and scientists could fix this, I could understand saying people just have to get infected because there's no other way out of this. Yes, that's kind of how we got out of the 1918 pandemic, but the technology was nowhere near what is now---not exactly mRNA vaccine ready times---and 675,000 died in the US----with a much smaller overall population in the country. So I just can't understand how aiming for immunity through infection is any way a good plan of action. Not in 2020 anyway.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:49 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
And it has seemed that you are a believe in, not exactly going hog wild, but having fewer restrictions. I've been a believer in restrictions to contain the damage until the cavalry arrives in 2021.
It’s interesting you condemn a new idea that hasn’t yet been attempted in this country while supporting something that’s been tried numerous times with zero success.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:05 PM

13,025 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Reason for starting this thread is most everyone I speak with says they will not. So then how does this vaccine work??
Answers seem to be 1. Yes 2. Not until everyone else does!?
3. No. The other thought is well if everyone gets the vaccine then I'll be ok??

Mods if you can do a poll that would be great. Thank you
I'll take the vaccine pretty much as soon as my "group" comes up on the priority list. By that time, others (medical personnel, possibly military, law enforcement, nursing homes) will have had it and we'll know if there's any danger in taking it. I take the flu vaccine every year without even a second thought and never get sick from it, so why not this one?

Some seem to be afraid of it because it's "Trump's vaccine". That's sorta crazy - he wasn't exactly in a lab coat personally running experiments himself.

I remember there being some pretty serious issues with the first polio vaccines back in the 1950s however, so safety isn't a total given. Today's technology is much more advanced than 70 years ago so it's most likely safe. We'll see.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:09 PM

13,025 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Can’t really comment on things long term, but all 3 major influenza pandemics in the 20th century ran their course in 2 years. So historic precedent is there. I’ve heard people say it’ll become endemic and join other coronaviruses in circulation. If it’s a concern still in 5-10 years I suppose vaccination will be yearly with high risk individuals just like with flu. No one knows what will happen.
Covid isn't the flu though. It's much more contagious than the flu, and the consequences of having it seem to be much worse, especially for certain groups of people (elderly, overweight, diabetic, etc.). Don't think we can just let it "run its course".

Old 11-22-2020, 08:11 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Covid isn't the flu though. It's much more contagious than the flu, and the consequences of having it seem to be much worse, especially for certain groups of people (elderly, overweight, diabetic, etc.). Don't think we can just let it "run its course".
Key words: seem to be.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:42 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Where'd you get that I suggested it was the flu? Y'all like to project a lot.

I said in the future, high risk groups may get a yearly C19 vaccine like they do with the flu every year.

Nowhere did I imply they are similar in risk. Smallpox vaccines were routine too, and that killed half a billion people in the 20th century.

Nowhere have I ever implied a strategy is letting it "run its course". But it is going to do that, whether we like it or not.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 449,571 times
You realize we are going to be required to take the vaccine whether you want to or not. Or you can stay home.

Places of employment may require it to continue working. Just like the flu shot. As well as schools ect

I would not be surprised if you need proof of vaccine to travel as well.

Maybe for restaraunts, bars, clubs?

Ticketmaster says they will require proof of vaccine to attend a concert.

Old 11-23-2020, 05:25 AM

6,949 posts, read 3,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Reason for starting this thread is most everyone I speak with says they will not. So then how does this vaccine work??
Answers seem to be 1. Yes 2. Not until everyone else does!?
3. No. The other thought is well if everyone gets the vaccine then I'll be ok??
Sure, whatever it takes to get back to normal.

Unfortunately looks like politics is going to prolong this thing beyond a vaccine. Both sides.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:21 AM

34,969 posts, read 57,045,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s interesting you condemn a new idea that hasn’t yet been attempted in this country while supporting something that’s been tried numerous times with zero success.
Zero success? I disagree. You forget that back when the restrictions were implemented it was known that the virus could not be stopped or fully contained. The virus was already here and infecting people. The purpose of the plan was to slow the virus to a point where it would not overwhelm or break our healthcare system. In that sense it was VERY successful.

That is the same goal for this round of the virus. Governor Lamont has indicated that he is very reluctant to initiate another full shutdown but I’m hearing from independent sources that major hospitals across the state are back up to near capacity with Covid-19 patients. That needs to be controlled to avoid a devastating complete breakdown. Jay

Old 11-23-2020, 08:28 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is the same goal for this round of the virus. Governor Lamont has indicated that he is very reluctant to initiate another full shutdown but I’m hearing from independent sources that major hospitals across the state are back up to near capacity with Covid-19 patients. That needs to be controlled to avoid a devastating complete breakdown. Jay
We're currently at roughly 40% of the hospitalization numbers seen in the Spring, which we handled fine. Very far from a breakdown.

Hospitals also have the plans to expand if they do hit capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: