Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 11:35 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Last time I checked, North & South Dakota are in this country. And of course there are many other examples I could have picked on...Florida being the most notable.
And if you go back and read, I made reference to herd immunity as an entire nation, and not one state here or one state there. That has not been attempted.

You can pick on FL all you want, but to date, they are probably the most shining example of what to do. Cases went up, death rate stayed the same, and never - ever - jumped as high as NY or CT.

But hey, what are facts?

Old 11-27-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Well one reason it is so quick is because of the enormous things at stake here that prompted a quick and urgent response. Chicken Pox doesn't put people in hospitals or kill them at anywhere near the rate of COVID (I read someone that almost everyone over 40 has had the chicken pox at some poiint) and isn't going to disrupt society. TB was not prevalent enough to do that either. They could afford to take their time.

You have a right to reject the vaccine, but then you don't have the right to complain if we stay the way we are now for significantly longer (another year?) because of it when people taking it would get us out of it a lot faster.
Eh, first, let’s slow down on being judge and jury on what people have the right to do or not to do. That’s not for anyone to decide.

I’m not talking about what’s more deadly than COVID - I’m talking about the turnaround time for vaccines. None of these pharmaceutical companies executives, when developing medications and vaccines, will suggest “let’s not go so hard, we can afford to take our time”. Lol. That’s just not how it works. Everything is a race behind the scenes, and the end goal is dollar signs, not the health of human beings. We’ve seen that over and over, with the latest being Purdue, and it’s no different here.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:56 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
She’s a QAnon nut case who made her fortune peddling a mix of sound medical advice mixed with new age mysticism. She cares about shilling her books to people who believe conspiracy theories and that crystals are better for cancer than proven medical treatments. That’s her reputation and this dribble isn’t likely to change that.
I'm shocked at how much trust people put in the modern medical establishment. Americans both use the most and spend the most money on medical care of any nation on the planet, yet we are easily the least healthy people in the developed world. Yet so few question the established order.

It's unfortuate that we have such short memories (or no knowledge) of things such as the Tuskeegee experiements or the unethical experiemts done of injecting syphillis in people in Guatemala (jointly conducted by U.S. & Guatemalan governments).

https://www.history.com/news/the-inf...tuskegee-study

Yesh, yeah, I know. That was a long time ago. It's different this time. That's what they always tell us.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm shocked at how much trust people put in the modern medical establishment. Americans both use the most and spend the most money on medical care of any nation on the planet, yet we are easily the least healthy people in the developed world. Yet so few question the established order.

It's unfortuate that we have such short memories (or no knowledge) of things such as the Tuskeegee experiements or the unethical experiemts done of injecting syphillis in people in Guatemala (jointly conducted by U.S. & Guatemalan governments).

Yesh, yeah, I know. That was a long time ago. It's different this time. That's what they always tell us.
This, 100%.

And it’s precisely why I laugh off the “if you don’t get it, YoU’rE SeLfiSh”. Please - take a seat.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Hate Western medicine? Overweight? Obesity? How about bariatric procedures prevalent in every country and are successful for the most part.
Bariatric procedures do nothing to fix the underlying conditions that lead to obesity. Even doctors admit that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
When they’re not, it’s because the individual can not control their excessive eating. That’s the real problem. Lazy, piggish people.
It's part of the problem, yes. But it's not THE core of the problem. The core is processed foods which make people chronically ill (which, of course, compromises peoples' immune systems). Instead of addressing that issue, we give people pills and all kinds of treatments instead (like bariatric surgery). And the modern medical establishment does nothing to promote basic nutrition.

[quote=Tetto;59778314Move to Afghanistan or any “Stan” for that matter if you’d like enlightened medicine, it’s cheap and quick there. Very effective I’m told.[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah. Becuase the only two options here are to either accept what we're told or to move to Afghanistan. G*d forbid we dare criticize what the authorities tell us!

Old 11-27-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not talking about what’s more deadly than COVID - I’m talking about the turnaround time for vaccines. None of these pharmaceutical companies executives, when developing medications and vaccines, will suggest “let’s not go so hard, we can afford to take our time”. Lol. That’s just not how it works. Everything is a race behind the scenes, and the end goal is dollar signs, not the health of human beings. We’ve seen that over and over, with the latest being Purdue, and it’s no different here.
And I might add that since the 1980s, the pharmaceutical companies are essentially immune from lawsuits related to vaccines. If you take this vaccine and it harms you, you essentially have no recourse.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:00 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,152,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

It almost sounds like you are implying medical treatment itself makes people less healthy. I don't think that's true at all. The problem is Americans have absolutely awful health habits. Given that, there's only so much doctors can do to minimize the damage. So you are correct in the sense that patients don't realize that 9 times out of 10 they are their own best doctor. A gym membership and some broccoli is probably better medicine than anything you will find in the doctor's office. 37 percent of adults are obese. 80 percent of adults don't get enough exercise. What are doctors supposed to do with that? It's like a quarterback in football with a terrible offensive line--there's only so much he can do no matter how talented he might be.

What we really need to do is wage a war on obesity in this country and do it the same we waged war on smoking: scorched earth. We decided long ago to stop being nice to smokers. But it worked. Far fewer people smoke now. But we lack the will to do that with obesity. It's "fat shaming", etc. You're calling someone ugly. Nonsense. You're calling someone unhealthy just as you would call someone who smokes unhealthy.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:11 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
It almost sounds like you are implying medical treatment itself makes people less healthy. I don't think that's true at all. The problem is Americans have absolutely awful health habits. Given that, there's only so much doctors can do to minimize the damage. So you are correct in the sense that patients don't realize that 9 times out of 10 they are their own best doctor. A gym membership and some broccoli is probably better medicine than anything you will find in the doctor's office. 37 percent of adults are obese. 80 percent of adults don't get enough exercise. What are doctors supposed to do with that? It's like a quarterback in football with a terrible offensive line--there's only so much he can do no matter how talented he might be.

What we really need to do is wage a war on obesity in this country and do it the same we waged war on smoking: scorched earth. We decided long ago to stop being nice to smokers. But it worked. Far fewer people smoke now. But we lack the will to do that with obesity. It's "fat shaming", etc. You're calling someone ugly. Nonsense. You're calling someone unhealthy just as you would call someone who smokes unhealthy.
Public health officials had a perfect opportunity this year to encourage people to lose weight, exercise, get sunshine, and eat better, as it will help your chances of surviving and having a less serious case, and they said NOTHING.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Public health officials had a perfect opportunity this year to encourage people to lose weight, exercise, get sunshine, and eat better, as it will help your chances of surviving and having a less serious case, and they said NOTHING.
And what did they do instead? Encourage the closure of fitness centers. At the flip of a switch, millions of Americans had to find an alternative to keep healthy.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,118,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And if you go back and read, I made reference to herd immunity as an entire nation, and not one state here or one state there. That has not been attempted.

You can pick on FL all you want, but to date, they are probably the most shining example of what to do. Cases went up, death rate stayed the same, and never - ever - jumped as high as NY or CT.

But hey, what are facts?
The facts--Florida is an international embarrassment in terms of how they've handled it. Just check out the positivity rate trends. You know very well...that the death tolls in NY, CT, MA were high only because they were hit at the very outset of the pandemic. It was spreading asymptomatically all through February, likely because of the high volume of visitors to/from Europe. Lord help us if Florida is a model to follow.

The death toll estimate for herd immunity as a nation is 1.0 - 2.5 million. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: