Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 04:46 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions for all you Town Tourney veterans - since this is my first.

What's the smallest town - in terms of population - that's made your personal list of favorites, and why?

Is population of any town a factor for you in choosing top towns, or is that irrelevant because your choice is based on location, amenities, things to do, scenery, etc.?

Old 05-25-2022, 06:19 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I have a few questions for all you Town Tourney veterans - since this is my first.

What's the smallest town - in terms of population - that's made your personal list of favorites, and why?

Is population of any town a factor for you in choosing top towns, or is that irrelevant because your choice is based on location, amenities, things to do, scenery, etc.?
I nearly always pick a town with less people, especially if I'm looking at two places I'm not that familiar with. I will look at their stats and size (smaller), location (rural) and proximity to larger areas (farther away) are what's important to me. I love the outdoors so a wooded and farmland area is best. I also love old architecture so that may play into my decision too - though you would need to know your history on that. Most towns split off from larger ones so just saying the town date is 1875 doesn't tell the whole story.

(some towns I don't like at all so I'll just pick the opposing one due to that, which is why I picked New Haven a couple of times)

Old 05-25-2022, 07:17 AM

845 posts, read 509,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
As we wait for votes to come in, I gotta say that I think I have made a somewhat accurate prediction of a few voters top towns that I've noticed here and in past tournaments. Let's see how right or wrong I am:

Stylo:
1. New Haven
2. Milford
3. Guilford
4. Essex
5. Stonington
6. Madison
7. Branford
8. Old Saybrook
9. Fairfield
10. Litchfield
11. Chester
12. Deep River
13. Roxbury
14. Groton
15. East Lyme

ProudFairfielder:
1. Fairfield
2. New Haven
3. Branford
4. Madison
5. Guilford
6. Old Saybrook
7. Waterford
8. East Lyme
9. Milford
10. Westport
11. Old Lyme
12. Stonington
13. Groton
14. Norwalk
15. Westbrook

JayCT:
1. Fairfield
2. Glastonbury
3. West Hartford
4. Hartford
5. Madison
6. Greenwich
7. Guilford
8. Old Saybrook
9. Milford
10. Branford
11. Westport
12. New Haven
13. Litchfield
14. Essex
15. Simsbury

WestRiverTraveler:

How accurate is this guys?
It's pretty accurate. Here's my top 15:
1. Guilford
2. New Haven
3. Madison
4. East Lyme
5. Milford
6. Branford
7. West Hartford
8. Old Saybrook
9. Old Lyme
10. Stonington
11. Groton
12. Waterford
13. Fairfield
14. Westport
15. Norwalk

Honorable Mention: Middletown.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:37 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,648,420 times
Quote:

For me, I'd say the smallest that's up there is Hartland / Barkhamsted. I really love the forest areas there, and its extremely rural with tons of woods. I wouldn't say either are my top 10, but probably 14 and 15 for me. This town is a little larger, but I also really love Marlborough.

Population can be relevant at times yes, but it's more so about the town in general for me. However, population plays a significant part to the development and growth of the town, so it definitely matters. Like we've been talking about all this development in Fairfield and how much growth its seen, and some of us feel it's just too much. That is because the population has increased rapidly over the years and its losing its charm and becoming more of a large town / small city.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:01 AM

845 posts, read 509,762 times
Quote:

For me, Salisbury is my favorite tiny town. Definitely in my top 20 for the state.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:47 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,563 times
Quote:

Woodstock has 8000 people in 60 sq mi. I love it because of the natural beauty -- a lot of open rolling hills, farms, large lot sizes. Part of the Yale Forest is in town. Woodstock Academy is "independent" but not private, which is a plus in my mind. The town center has beautiful historic homes and is nicely landscaped. Peace, quiet, tranquility... no traffic, no noise pollution, no light pollution. Lots of fresh, local produce. 30 minutes to Worcester; 60 minutes to Hartford, Providence or New London; 90 minutes to Boston or New Haven.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:19 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:

Probably Chester. Scenic, old homes, river waterfront, great restaurants/brewery, and perhaps the “cutest” downtown in all of CT. 3900 population.

Chester would also be further up the list Danny made.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:19 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Woodstock has 8000 people in 60 sq mi. I love it because of the natural beauty -- a lot of open rolling hills, farms, large lot sizes. Part of the Yale Forest is in town. Woodstock Academy is "independent" but not private, which is a plus in my mind. The town center has beautiful historic homes and is nicely landscaped. Peace, quiet, tranquility... no traffic, no noise pollution, no light pollution. Lots of fresh, local produce. 30 minutes to Worcester; 60 minutes to Hartford, Providence or New London; 90 minutes to Boston or New Haven.
I was just going to mention Woodstock! That's more people than I thought. I need a people per sq mile by town list

Old 05-25-2022, 03:14 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,648,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I was just going to mention Woodstock! That's more people than I thought. I need a people per sq mile by town list
Connecticut Population Density City Rank

Old 05-25-2022, 03:23 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
That gives a decent idea. They have used an unusual way of designating towns/areas that leaves off some relevant towns. Union should be dead last, but it’s not on there at all. Maybe there is a source from the state that would be more formal/complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut