Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2022, 08:12 PM

316 posts, read 131,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm still mad at you for putting me on the "staying" list. Makes me feel like you never listen to me

Well, northern New England is COLD and CT has rural areas that aren't so cold, so I can see where it would be appealing to many.

(also, I oddly don't consider liberals to be into "rural" for the most part. They are all about diversity and I feel there is less of that in rural areas)
Yeah my bf always jokes about moving to Maine, but I am determined to live no further north than MA. Just too cold and summers too short. Huge disqualifying factor for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 09:32 PM

21,658 posts, read 31,289,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Is this just a coincidence?

Real Estate’s Hottest Markets Reveal a Seismic Shift in Where Homebuyers Want To Live
https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...kets-2022-june

#8 Hartford
#19 New Haven (good for New Haven!)

Fairfield County is not hot but Hartford and New Haven is? There is something more going on them meets the eye. Me thinks it is people looking for a cheap "blue" place to live.

I have never seen New Haven and Hartford be "hot" for real estate. Has anyone else.

I hope this makes me eat my words about New Haven in the other thread and they do become the shiny city on the hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Just keep in mind that is probably county level data
Agreed with Stylo. There’s no way the hell of Rochester is ranking above, well, most places in the US.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:21 AM

6,980 posts, read 3,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Is this just a coincidence?

Real Estate’s Hottest Markets Reveal a Seismic Shift in Where Homebuyers Want To Live
https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...kets-2022-june

#8 Hartford
#19 New Haven (good for New Haven!)

Fairfield County is not hot but Hartford and New Haven is? There is something more going on them meets the eye. Me thinks it is people looking for a cheap "blue" place to live.

I have never seen New Haven and Hartford be "hot" for real estate. Has anyone else.

I hope this makes me eat my words about New Haven in the other thread and they do become the shiny city on the hill.
New Haven and Hartford counties are great options for red state fleeing personnel if they can handle the high local taxes as CT gets bluer over time. Even regular Fairfield county. The trade off is lowered police presence and higher crime.
Going forward Americans will seek to relocate to states that will ban stuff they want banned and away from states that ban stuff they don’t want banned. More than ever before in history.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:08 AM

6,602 posts, read 5,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catheetiem View Post
Yeah my bf always jokes about moving to Maine, but I am determined to live no further north than MA. Just too cold and summers too short. Huge disqualifying factor for me.
haha my bf does the same! I recently saw a funny meme about Maine and clothing by season. I think July 4th was when the flannel comes off but two weeks later you're wearing it with the sleeves rolled up.

I *love* Maine otherwise and if I won lotto I'd be into a summer place there and further south the rest of the year.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:13 AM

53 posts, read 57,368 times
If anybody thinks that people or for that matter Corporations are moving to Connecticut to flee red state politics you’re delusional. Having extensively traveled up and down the East Coast for both business and pleasure I can report the majority of people that have moved out of Connecticut, New York and New Jersey to South Carolina North Carolina and Florida have only one regret..having not done it earlier. PS I was on the Connecticut economic development board at one point to try to bring business to Connecticut as soon as they see the tax structure they have no interest. Even the politicians move out of the state when they’re out of office. As far as red state versus blue state can anyone anywhere point out any blue state or large city that has low taxes low crime and great school districts?… Now having said that, I think Greenwich Connecticut it is one of the best places to live on the East Coast because it has very low taxes very very low crime and phenomenal school districts… And it’s also been run by “red” Politicians for many many years anybody see a pattern?

Old 07-23-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
If anybody thinks that people or for that matter Corporations are moving to Connecticut to flee red state politics you’re delusional. Having extensively traveled up and down the East Coast for both business and pleasure I can report the majority of people that have moved out of Connecticut, New York and New Jersey to South Carolina North Carolina and Florida have only one regret..having not done it earlier. PS I was on the Connecticut economic development board at one point to try to bring business to Connecticut as soon as they see the tax structure they have no interest. Even the politicians move out of the state when they’re out of office. As far as red state versus blue state can anyone anywhere point out any blue state or large city that has low taxes low crime and great school districts?… Now having said that, I think Greenwich Connecticut it is one of the best places to live on the East Coast because it has very low taxes very very low crime and phenomenal school districts… And it’s also been run by “red” Politicians for many many years anybody see a pattern?
Greenwich would be great for rich Miami limousine progs looking to escape red state bans and low taxes for a 2m home in a town under Blue state rule. Remember they gave powers back to the states. They’ll have to give up Wagyu beef at Azul with Instagram models. CT severely lacks on dining.

There’s no doubt the south is seeing more migration than the reverse. Anyone who’s anyone knows this.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,966,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
I agree. I think this idea that there's going to be some type of mass migration because of abortion seems a bit delusional. It's grasping at straws. If abortion were that popular, there'd be no concern about the issue having been turned back to the voters.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:57 PM

6,602 posts, read 5,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I agree. I think this idea that there's going to be some type of mass migration because of abortion seems a bit delusional. It's grasping at straws. If abortion were that popular, there'd be no concern about the issue having been turned back to the voters.
It's not just abortion people are worried about. This touches on womens rights, same sex marriages and I'm sure other issues.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:17 PM

39 posts, read 27,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post

First of all, the culture is also toxic in many ways - Mormonism values compliance and conformity above all, leading to odd passive/aggressive behaviors. Politically, what's valued most are freedoms to do anything you like - use up all the water, shoot guns where ever you want, drive enormous diesel pickups belching black smoke, freedom to pay the lowest imaginable taxes (and get nothing back). The concepts of a common good or freedoms from are unknown. By this I mean freedom from being gunned down, being hit by a car, breathing toxic air (and it's worst in the world much of the time), bankruptcy from medical bills, any social safety net or doing anything to minimize the need for that safety net in the first place. This seems hard to believe, but it's true, browse the CD Utah forum.

Not sure why do you think CT is any different? I lived in CT for a few years, taxes are one of the highest in the nation, but you still don't get much in terms of services or infrastructure. Still plenty of trucks with fumes, as well as crazy motorcyclists living above all laws somehow. Also plenty of opportunities to get bankrupted from medical bills, I got charged once $2400 for a 40 min. stay in an emergency room even with insurance! It's a very expensive state BTW, by all means.

Yes, there isn't much of urban sprawl, but only because there's just no land left to build on.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
It's not just abortion people are worried about. This touches on womens rights, same sex marriages and I'm sure other issues.
The Far Right clansters want their 1950s back and rock around the clock.

I could have swore you loved the upstate CT rural forests. Sorry it didn’t work out. Have you looked into MT and WY? it’s breathtaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut