Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 09:08 PM

26,661 posts, read 28,737,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know that all too well. Very sad. Jay

I'm so glad I'm not a librarian today when there is so much hatred and division. I was a school librarian and I had only two issues with books. Both turned out to be minor. One was when Bill Clinton was elected and I purchased a middle school version of a biography of Hillary. A kid came up to me and said something in a bratty voice about how I should hear what his father thinks of Hillary. I just explained that we always got a book on each new President and his wife. That book was on display. It was news and even if that kid didn't like it, the book was just pictures and facts, nothing controversial.

Another time a parent complained because a middle school book told how to make a bomb. That book wasn't on display but her kid had brought it home. I explained that anyone could find the same information online but I still sort of wish the book hadn't contained that information. But you read the reviews before purchasing and you usually don't have time to read the whole book to see what's in it. (My ex husband nearly burned his childhood house down with a chemistry set. I'm pretty sure those chemistry sets are no longer made.) Sometimes it's a fine line and there's no cut and dried answer.

These days I don't know what I'd do. In a school library purchasing was based upon the school's curriculum. I would buy books to augment what they were studying. If they weren't studying transexualism then I probably would use the limited budget money to buy something else.

I think this particular book we're discussing would be available in a public library, not a school library and I'd be reluctant to put it out on display. But it would be available and anyone could look at the library catalog to see if we had it. Same as we did with old Playboy magazines in the public library--someone donated a load of them and the head librarian did not set them out for all to see. (We didn't know what to do!) So they were kept behind the desk and if any teenager wanted to read them, all he had to do is ask. Those might not be so controversial today. A lot depends on the times. So glad not to be a librarian or a teacher now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 04:33 AM

34,087 posts, read 17,145,875 times
The original post links the article, which said several complained, not one as was indicated in post 103's last sentence. In a small town. That's not insignificant, as I doubt more than several ever comment to elected officials even in Milford, which is a small city.

It has been ten days w/o any follow up, which generally means the citizens truly using that library are hardly up in arms over the decision.

I would never want any other group of citizens to have any say over what should be displayed vs simply stocked in any other town's library. It must be a local call. I would also assume, just like I, if the book is desired, those using the library are capable of locating it, either way.

IMO, the column in the Post should appropriately be filed next to the book Much Ado About Nothing. Otherwise, there would have been a follow up over the reaction of far more in the town. Perhaps it was a slow newsday when published. (To quote Robby Robinson in the movie Spotlight when told of a column showcasing the Globe's new editor as Jewish and single. Having been in newsrooms of radio dozens of times, yes there truly are filler stories already long done for such days, at times.)

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 03-28-2023 at 04:42 AM..

Old 03-28-2023, 04:41 AM

854 posts, read 514,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, a library should try to remain neutral. Right now transgender topics are hot and controversial so why place the book on display when it might trigger someone who disagrees? Libraries should have all kinds of information but I think they need to show some tact and respect concerning which books they set out for all to see.

To put that book on display, even though it may be innocuous, might seem to some as though the library is pushing one side of the topic over the other side. How about displaying a book about curtailing abortion rights and advocating that woman's place is in the home? If I ever saw a book like that in a library display i'd be angry and I'd resent the library pushing this sort of thing on us.
It's not pushing anything, FFS. It's visibility. To borrow an explanation, kids need books that are windows and kids need books that that are mirrors. For kids who are trans or questioning, a book on display is a mirror. For other kids, it's a window. Just because you can see through a window doesn't mean you are being encouraged to jump through it.

Abortion isn't an accurate analogy. Abortion is an action. It's not who someone is. A book on display is sends an inclusive message. Clearly, you would rather trans kids suffer and are somehow afraid that seeing a book on display is going to put ideas in a kids head. Newsflash, from someone who has worked with a a lot of trans youth - that's not the way it works.

Old 03-28-2023, 04:45 AM

Quote:

I think this particular book we're discussing would be available in a public library, not a school library and I'd be reluctant to put it out on display. But it would be available and anyone could look at the library catalog to see if we had it. Same as we did with old Playboy magazines in the public library--someone donated a load of them and the head librarian did not set them out for all to see. (We didn't know what to do!) So they were kept behind the desk and if any teenager wanted to read them, all he had to do is ask. Those might not be so controversial today. A lot depends on the times. So glad not to be a librarian or a teacher now!
I like your moderate stance. I would also hope kids today are intelligent enough to know how to use a catalog, as my generation was.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:51 AM

1,241 posts, read 906,085 times
The original article most definitely did not say that several people complained. It said the first selectman removed the book from the display due to “a resident’s complaint.†Not several. Not a few. “A resident’s complaint.†A single resident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The original post links the article, which said several complained, not one as was indicated in post 103's last sentence. In a small town. That's not insignificant, as I doubt more than several ever comment to elected officials even in Milford, which is a small city.

It has been ten days w/o any follow up, which generally means the citizens truly using that library are hardly up in arms over the decision.

I would never want any other group of citizens to have any say over what should be displayed vs simply stocked in any other town's library. It must be a local call. I would also assume, just like I, if the book is desired, those using the library are capable of locating it, either way.

IMO, the column in the Post should appropriately be filed next to the book Much Ado About Nothing. Otherwise, there would have been a follow up over the reaction of far more in the town. Perhaps it was a slow newsday when published. (To quote Robby Robinson in the movie Spotlight when told of a column showcasing the Globe's new editor as Jewish and single. Having been in newsrooms of radio dozens of times, yes there truly are filler stories already long done for such days, at times.)

Old 03-28-2023, 09:18 AM

34,978 posts, read 57,065,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
It's not pushing anything, FFS. It's visibility. To borrow an explanation, kids need books that are windows and kids need books that that are mirrors. For kids who are trans or questioning, a book on display is a mirror. For other kids, it's a window. Just because you can see through a window doesn't mean you are being encouraged to jump through it.

Abortion isn't an accurate analogy. Abortion is an action. It's not who someone is. A book on display is sends an inclusive message. Clearly, you would rather trans kids suffer and are somehow afraid that seeing a book on display is going to put ideas in a kids head. Newsflash, from someone who has worked with a a lot of trans youth - that's not the way it works.
Exactly. It’s incredible some don’t understand this. They stubbornly don’t understand how people think or see the other side of things. This is why we have such division today.

Open your minds people. You might learn something. Jay

Old 03-28-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I'm so glad I'm not a librarian today when there is so much hatred and division.
On average, how many books did your library have the ability to display? How many were they able to stock?

Old 03-28-2023, 02:54 PM

752 posts, read 556,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post

Well put.

I remember my middle school used to do a display of books about different religions-- Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Taoism, Hinduism, Baha'i, and others. The 7th-grade social studies curriculum studied major world religions.

I don't remember anyone converting after reading one of those books or studying the other religions.

Old 03-28-2023, 03:41 PM

34,978 posts, read 57,065,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
On average, how many books did your library have the ability to display? How many were they able to stock?
Libraries normally buy new books and display them every month or so. I believe that’s what this book was. Jay

Old 03-28-2023, 04:25 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,156,101 times
Bottom line is people are just going to have to get used to the use of these pronouns. Language evolves. Negro used to be a mainstream word, now black or African American are the accepted terms. Mentally retarded used to be used, now it's intellectually disabled. Whether you like these changes or not, guess what? It's a really easy thing to just accept and go about your day. It's really not a big deal. It's not something worth getting angry about unless you just prefer the drama of getting outraged because your life is super boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut