Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 07:43 AM

6,931 posts, read 3,766,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I had a long text with my best friend yesterday. He has a 5 1/2 year old son who likes to wear dresses and put clips in his hair from time to time. Not every day. Most days, he wants boys cloths. When asked why, he said he likes being "fancy." Being progressive parents, they let him pick his own path. They've had conversations with him about whether or not he feels like a boy or if he feels like a girls. He has saids, in clear terms, that he is comfortable in his boy body - so he's not trans. He's in public pre-k. Yesterday he wanted to wear a dress and hair clips to school. Dad explained that it's OK with him, but some people might get confused and think he's a girl. As a parent, he felt like he has to prepare his kid for what's out there. He said he just watched the light go out in the kids eyes and watched curled up into a ball on the couch. After a few minutes, he said he wanted a t-shirt and went to school sad. IMHO, the dad did the right thing, but it's sad it had to be that way.

There is physical sex, there is gender expression, and there are cultural gender expectations. Physical sex is scientific. The other two are a spectrum. It literally hurts nobody if my friend's kid wears a dress and hair clips from time to time. Maybe he will grow out of it. Maybe he will end up being gay. Maybe he is gender fluid. Time will tell. Trusts me when I tell you these parents aren't pushing any agenda other than letting their kid be himself. In some states, the parents would need to worried about DCF.

If you have a problem with that, go pound sand. Let people be people. Who gets to define normal anyway?
Excellent. Live and let live and let the parents decide how to raise they're children, that's right. School districts, teachers, and pols should have no say in the matter.
No one deserves to be chided for not following the science of man and woman just as no one should be chided for not following the science by refusing to take a shot then get fired for it, taking away the ability to feed their gendered or non-binary children. Truly one of the most dispicable acts that pols and firms participated in in modern history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 10:04 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,116,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Sorry, but someone who thinks they are both male and female at the same time is the one NOT living in the "real world". It defies logic, and I see no reason to make children believe this is "normal".
I guess you need to read up. Hermaphrodite tendencies among humans FAR OUTDATE the emergence of "woke" ideologies.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:38 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,953,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I guess you need to read up. Hermaphrodite tendencies among humans FAR OUTDATE the emergence of "woke" ideologies.
I don't need to "read up". You know we aren't talking about hermaphrodites here. We are talking about folks who were born a single sex, yet believe they are both in the same body, and are intent on exposing young kids to a concept that flies in the face of logic and science.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,116,154 times
Quote:
I don't need to "read up". You know we aren't talking about hermaphrodites here. We are talking about folks who were born a single sex, yet believe they are both in the same body, and are intent on exposing young kids to a concept that flies in the face of logic and science.
Nah, it flies in the face of your sensibilities. The rest of us are least bothered. Live and let live!

Old 03-21-2023, 02:01 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I read the reviews from School Library Journal and other magazines that librarians use when they decide what books to order. The reviews seem to say that the book is not just about transgender sex but also about other ways in which kids can feel different.

So it's normal that the librarian would have ordered the book. But I am against putting it on display, which is similar to advertising it. If a parent wants their 4 year old kid to have that book read to them, that's fine. I'd have it in the library but I wouldn't have it in with books that kids that young would take out. I'm liberal but I don't see why anyone is shoving sexual issues at such young kids who can't even a understand it. I think it could be dangerous to put transgender ideas into a young mind. Anyway, deciding what gender you are pertains to a very, very few little kids. I think it's age inappropriate but if a parent wants to borrow the book and read it to the kid and explain it, that's fine.

All sorts of information needs to be available and not banned. I'd buy the book and make it available but not on display. So I'm in the minority but I think pushing this kind of thing on young kids is a step too far and not necessary. Let it be there if a parent wants to read it to their child--maybe the parent has a transgender person in the family and would want a way to explain it to the child or they would want to help the child to understand and accept the transgender person.

In this case I don't think it's the town selectman's job to determine which books are to be read or made available. Hopefully the town has a professional librarian who is in charge of purchasing and a conversation with that person may have been more productive and might have come to a better compromise and with less controversy.
I believe it was the town’s Professional Librarian that put the book on display so the First Selectman was overriding their professional selection of books to display. You are correct that this likely could have been handled better between the librarian and person complaining but that’s not what happened. They went to the top which is pretty nasty IMHO.

Also note that when a book says it’s targeting 4 years old, it does not mean it’s for all 4 years olds and that’s who they want reading it. It means it’s written so a 4 year old can understand it and that is the minimum age that likely would understand it. The last time I was in a library, not many 4 year olds are running around checking out books without adult supervision so it’s unlikely that a 4 year old is going to be exposed to the book without an adult knowing. Even older kids rarely do that. Jay

Old 03-21-2023, 02:12 PM

847 posts, read 510,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Excellent. Live and let live and let the parents decide how to raise they're children, that's right. School districts, teachers, and pols should have no say in the matter.
No one deserves to be chided for not following the science of man and woman just as no one should be chided for not following the science by refusing to take a shot then get fired for it, taking away the ability to feed their gendered or non-binary children. Truly one of the most dispicable acts that pols and firms participated in in modern history.
Appreciate the agreement. Here's where it gets tricky - does putting a book on display or reading a book that involves trans or non-binary kids constitute a school district having a say in the matter? Some people definitely think so. I'm not sure where you stand on that. You agree kids shouldn't be teased or chided for their gender expression. We agree. But how do you prevent that from happening? I would argue that you need visibility. I'm not advocating a big unit or specific time out the curriculum to address it. Books on display or the occasional story with a kids with two moms or a trans or nonbinary character. If a school doesn't make a point to be inclusive, these kids are not going to feel safe and kids with parents who disapprove are not going to have any empathy.

Parents are free to teach their kids at home that they don't agree. That's their right, but wouldn't the world be a better place if parents who disapprove of the LGBTQ+ community would just said to their kids - "We believe that's wrong/sinful/unnatural (whatever they want,) but they are human being and have the right to be treated with respect. It's not for us to judge."

Old 03-21-2023, 02:13 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Sorry, but someone who thinks they are both male and female at the same time is the one NOT living in the "real world". It defies logic, and I see no reason to make children believe this is "normal".
This just proves how out of touch with the real world you are. There are all kinds of people in our world and you are dismissing some of them because they don’t fit your image of what you think the world should be. That’s pretty sad.

It should be a parents objective to prepare their children for living in the world and part of that is accepting others for what they are. How do they accept others if they are not exposed to them or at least made aware they exist?You are not doing that at all by denying the reality of that. Open your mind a bit. You’ll see it’s not as terrifying as you think. Jay

Old 03-21-2023, 04:13 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Just like 8-30 opponents, those who opposed putting this book on display properly spoke to their duly elected representative. The librarian is a public sector employee, also, which means that role also answers to the public.

Old 03-21-2023, 04:27 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,238,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So apparently the First Selectman of Suffield had a children’s book removed from a library display after receiving a couple complaints about it. They book refers to gender fluid characters as They, Their and Them.

And you thought this kind of censorship only occurred down south?

I’m sorry but I can’t believe an educated person these days would do this. I’m hardly a liberal but this kind of crap makes my blood boil. Guess what you idiots, you can’t hide the rest of the real world from your children whether you like it or not. Such closed minded thinking creates closed minded children and that creates more conflict in a world that is already too divided. Let’s worry about important things already and leave this minor garbage outside on the curb where it belongs. Jay

https://www.courant.com/2023/03/18/a...led-censorship

Na. Your argument really isn't persuasive.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:06 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Na. Your argument really isn't persuasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut