Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 11:55 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,750,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
No in many school districts, childred and teen themed books are getting banned with gay themes. But yes, many books with at least adolescent themes do have sexually explicit content and those aren't getting band. So adult romance novels = a false dichotomy.
Not a false dichotomy, sorry.
You said sexually explicit. Children’s books are not sexually explicit. I imagine those would be illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 12:09 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Not a false dichotomy, sorry.
You said sexually explicit. Children’s books are not sexually explicit. I imagine those would be illegal.
Agree. Fake controversy.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:06 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Yes, this is nothing new in CT. It's not just a southern a thing. New Haven in the past have removed some books from the children's author Dr. Seuss from display/circulation.
I knew area towns removed stuff, never knew Dr. Seuss was amongst them.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:41 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I knew area towns removed stuff, never knew Dr. Seuss was amongst them.
Six of his books have stopped being published and removed fr9m libraries because they contained imagery that has been deemed racist. I think that’s ludicrous as well. Jay

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...o6u-story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr...rnd/index.html

Old 03-19-2023, 02:43 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Six of his books have stopped being published and removed fr9m libraries because they contained imagery that has been deemed racist. I think that’s ludicrous as well. Jay

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...o6u-story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr...rnd/index.html
Didn't know that. I knew comics during WW2 were often used as a propaganda tool by our government but did not know of racism charges with Seuss materials.

Old 03-19-2023, 08:28 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,148,099 times
This is not a fake controversy. There have been many districts nationally that have banned books with gay themes--which do not even have sexually explicit themes.

What's old is new. Books like Ulysses and Tropic Of Cancer were put on obscenity trials in the 20th century. We finally got out of that brand of Puritanism only to have replaced it with this one.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:40 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
This is not a fake controversy. There have been many districts nationally that have banned books with gay themes--which do not even have sexually explicit themes.

What's old is new. Books like Ulysses and Tropic Of Cancer were put on obscenity trials in the 20th century. We finally got out of that brand of Puritanism only to have replaced it with this one.
Red states are banning children books with gay parental characters but not ones with straight parents. That is correct then. That makes more sense. Blue and Red states are playing tit for tat games. It's the world we live in now.

When one state threatens the livelyhood and ability of it's own citizens to feed their children by waving their paycheck in their faces if they don't get a non-FDA approved shot, another state counters with a ban on children's books with gay parents or friends. That's life today.
This guy in Suffield is an outlier for CT. He's just trying to make a name for himself on Fox headlines. He's on the outer fringes of CT's population. I wouldn't worry about it here. CT is on a breakneck speed trajectory to becoming among the most progressive states in the nation.

You're right , old is new. I'm old enough to remember as an 80s teen when Tipper Gore and the dems fought for censorship on rock and rap lyrics and called my favorite heavy metal Satan's music. God, I hated that b&^*&.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:00 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:

The fake controversy is that there are sexually explicit children’s books.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So apparently the First Selectman of Suffield had a children’s book removed from a library display after receiving a couple complaints about it. They book refers to gender fluid characters as They, Their and Them.

And you thought this kind of censorship only occurred down south?

I’m sorry but I can’t believe an educated person these days would do this. I’m hardly a liberal but this kind of crap makes my blood boil. Guess what you idiots, you can’t hide the rest of the real world from your children whether you like it or not. Such closed minded thinking creates closed minded children and that creates more conflict in a world that is already too divided. Let’s worry about important things already and leave this minor garbage outside on the curb where it belongs. Jay

https://www.courant.com/2023/03/18/a...led-censorship
Great post. I agree.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:55 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
This thread makes me SO glad I left CT years ago, when it was still fairly sane and not so far left. There is no reason a child has to be subjected to they/them/their nonsense. Apart from the fact that it is grammatically incorrect when referring to describing a single person, many parents may not want their child indoctrinated in the gay lifestyle and have them believe the current idiocy that people can be both male and female at the same time. The ones that do, can educate their children on these matters in the privacy of their own home. Keep this out of the schools and focus on reading. writing and arithmetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut