Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:57 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
This thread makes me SO glad I left CT years ago, when it was still fairly sane and not so far left. There is no reason a child has to be subjected to they/them/their nonsense. Apart from the fact that it is grammatically incorrect when referring to describing a single person, many parents may not want their child indoctrinated in the gay lifestyle and have them believe the current idiocy that people can be both male and female at the same time. The ones that do, can educate their children on these matters in the privacy of their own home. Keep this out of the schools and focus on reading. writing and arithmetic.
I understand. The hysteria here is absurd. This is not about book banning; it's simply an issue of having books on open displays versus on routine shelving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 08:59 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I understand. The hysteria here is absurd. This is not about book banning; it's simply an issue of having books on open displays versus on routine shelving.
No, it’s about book banning. The First Selectman is literally banning the book from being displayed. A “ban” by any other name still stinks to high heaven no matter how you slice it. Jay

Old 03-20-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, it’s about book banning. The First Selectman is literally banning the book from being displayed. A “ban” by any other name still stinks to high heaven no matter how you slice it. Jay
I have a different opinion of not displaying versus not allowing the library to offer the book to view. I still go to the Milford library, and 99% of what I read there is on shelves, not displayed, yet I find it.

I would be against a full ban on the library having the books in question. I am not against local control regarding what should be displayed.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:31 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
I have a different opinion of not displaying versus not allowing the library to offer the book to view. I still go to the Milford library, and 99% of what I read there is on shelves, not displayed, yet I find it.

I would be against a full ban on the library having the books in question. I am not against local control regarding what should be displayed.
So you’d be okay with them ordering such classics as Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher on the Rye, Of Mice and Men, and The Color Purple? All have been banned in places.

Don’t you see, it’s a very simple small step from banning a book from a display to a complete ban? Jay

Old 03-20-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
So you’d be okay with them ordering such classics as Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher on the Rye, Of Mice and Men, and The Color Purple? All have been banned in places.

Don’t you see, it’s a very simple small step from banning a book from a display to a complete ban? Jay
I view it as a very large step to ban, a small step to decide which .1% to display vs shelve. I am not in Fairfield libraries, but Milford has little display space. Most tables are like a Cracker Barrel store, hold just a small quantity. The main library houses likely 1000x what it can display.

I expect to see on display the classics.

PS: This book in question is targeted for children as young as 4. Let's begin with books that help them learn the 3 R's. I am expecting lefties to want newborns asked if they wish to stay the gender they were born next, before exiting the hospital for the first time.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 03-20-2023 at 10:02 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
This thread makes me SO glad I left CT years ago, when it was still fairly sane and not so far left. There is no reason a child has to be subjected to they/them/their nonsense. Apart from the fact that it is grammatically incorrect when referring to describing a single person, many parents may not want their child indoctrinated in the gay lifestyle and have them believe the current idiocy that people can be both male and female at the same time. The ones that do, can educate their children on these matters in the privacy of their own home. Keep this out of the schools and focus on reading. writing and arithmetic.
After reading closer seeing the books targeted 4-year-olds, I agree with you. That is the critical fact.

The selectman mentioned most of the complaints were based on the age targeted. I'd be up in arms if Milford had such books in the children's library downstairs. I would be ok with the books on upper shelves upstairs in the regular portion of our library (minimum height to reach 5' or more).

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 03-20-2023 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 11:00 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
After reading closer seeing the books targeted 4-year-olds, I agree with you. That is the critical fact.

The selectman mentioned most of the complaints were based on the age targeted. I'd be up in arms if Milford had such books in the children's library downstairs. I would be ok with the books on upper shelves upstairs in the regular portion of our library (minimum height to reach 5' or more).
I read the reviews from School Library Journal and other magazines that librarians use when they decide what books to order. The reviews seem to say that the book is not just about transgender sex but also about other ways in which kids can feel different.

So it's normal that the librarian would have ordered the book. But I am against putting it on display, which is similar to advertising it. If a parent wants their 4 year old kid to have that book read to them, that's fine. I'd have it in the library but I wouldn't have it in with books that kids that young would take out. I'm liberal but I don't see why anyone is shoving sexual issues at such young kids who can't even a understand it. I think it could be dangerous to put transgender ideas into a young mind. Anyway, deciding what gender you are pertains to a very, very few little kids. I think it's age inappropriate but if a parent wants to borrow the book and read it to the kid and explain it, that's fine.

All sorts of information needs to be available and not banned. I'd buy the book and make it available but not on display. So I'm in the minority but I think pushing this kind of thing on young kids is a step too far and not necessary. Let it be there if a parent wants to read it to their child--maybe the parent has a transgender person in the family and would want a way to explain it to the child or they would want to help the child to understand and accept the transgender person.

In this case I don't think it's the town selectman's job to determine which books are to be read or made available. Hopefully the town has a professional librarian who is in charge of purchasing and a conversation with that person may have been more productive and might have come to a better compromise and with less controversy.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
I’m sorry but it is wrong to try and hide your children from the real world and that is what you are trying to do. You make it sound like they are being hammered with this stuff which is not the case. We never hid things from our kids and I will say that makes them remarkably well adjusted and open to everyone. Isn’t that a good thing? Shouldn’t all parents want that for their children?

By treating gender fluidity as normal, you are allowing potentially gender fluid children to accept themselves. What’s wrong with that?

Let me ask you, is it really that much of a bother to you and this person that made the complaint? Maybe you should be asking yourself why you are so concerned about something so minor. It might actually open your mind a bit to the rest of the world, the real world. Jay
Sorry, but someone who thinks they are both male and female at the same time is the one NOT living in the "real world". It defies logic, and I see no reason to make children believe this is "normal".

Old 03-21-2023, 06:00 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
If you think CT is so bad with respect to political correctness, consider the fact that Skokie, IL spent a week teaching kindergarten students about the pride flag. A week. To kindergarteners. And if anyone reading this wants to indulge in a straw man argument by asking if I'm against teaching about LGBT pride, I'm not. But for obvious reasons, spending a week discussing this to kindergarteners is disruptive to the traditional curriculum. That's the issue. When CT goes down that rabbit hole, believe me, I'll have no problem criticizing CT as just as bad.

And states on the right have to take a good, long look in the mirror: In Oklahoma, the school boards are trying to re-write textbooks because they're complaining that they focus too much on things Americans did in the past (slavery, Japanese interment camps, etc.) and would prefer to focus on the good things America as done — leaving out the fact that these have been done as a result of the bad things we've done. Sorry, but you can't turn the page on America's bad stuff if you won't print the page to begin with.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 03-21-2023 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-21-2023, 06:51 AM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
Sorry, but someone who thinks they are both male and female at the same time is the one NOT living in the "real world". It defies logic, and I see no reason to make children believe this is "normal".
I had a long text with my best friend yesterday. He has a 5 1/2 year old son who likes to wear dresses and put clips in his hair from time to time. Not every day. Most days, he wants boys cloths. When asked why, he said he likes being "fancy." Being progressive parents, they let him pick his own path. They've had conversations with him about whether or not he feels like a boy or if he feels like a girls. He has saids, in clear terms, that he is comfortable in his boy body - so he's not trans. He's in public pre-k. Yesterday he wanted to wear a dress and hair clips to school. Dad explained that it's OK with him, but some people might get confused and think he's a girl. As a parent, he felt like he has to prepare his kid for what's out there. He said he just watched the light go out in the kids eyes and watched curled up into a ball on the couch. After a few minutes, he said he wanted a t-shirt and went to school sad. IMHO, the dad did the right thing, but it's sad it had to be that way.

There is physical sex, there is gender expression, and there are cultural gender expectations. Physical sex is scientific. The other two are a spectrum. It literally hurts nobody if my friend's kid wears a dress and hair clips from time to time. Maybe he will grow out of it. Maybe he will end up being gay. Maybe he is gender fluid. Time will tell. Trusts me when I tell you these parents aren't pushing any agenda other than letting their kid be himself. In some states, the parents would need to worried about DCF.

If you have a problem with that, go pound sand. Let people be people. Who gets to define normal anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut