Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 07:07 PM

360 posts, read 167,405 times

Advertisements

I see very many attractively priced SINGLE FAMILY HOUSES in Norwich priced way under the southwestern area. For ex, these homes are $250k or less all in. Can I go to NYC and back if I'm working 2-3 days in the office? Norwich a high crime area like Bridgeport? Is the distance it's biggest drawback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 07:34 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Absolutely not. Norwich is at the opposite end of the state, nowhere near the part of CT that constitutes the tri-state area. You're better off looking somewhere in the New Haven metro area like Milford or Stratford, though it's a much more competitive housing market since it's closer to the city, and thus more expensive. And even then, it's still a good 90-minute train ride to Grand Central, if not longer.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:08 PM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
I see very many attractively priced SINGLE FAMILY HOUSES in Norwich priced way under the southwestern area. For ex, these homes are $250k or less all in. Can I go to NYC and back if I'm working 2-3 days in the office? Norwich a high crime area like Bridgeport? Is the distance it's biggest drawback?
Norwich is a solid hour and a half or more from the southwestern part of the state.

That would be an insane commute. 3-4+ hours each way.

"Is the distance its biggest drawback?" - NO ONE is thinking of it in those terms. It is not even in the conversation about an NYC commute. If anything, it's in consideration for a Providence commute. The reason it's inexpensive is that it's in a somewhat small job market, and it's a city that's seen better days. Schools also don't perform well.

That said, crime is not too bad at all. Slightly below the national average.

If you want an inexpensive home closer to NYC, look at the Stratford, Shelton, Milford, Derby, Ansonia area. Still not a great commute, but way way way easier than Norwich.

Edit: here's a small SFH in Derby. You drive right to Fairfield Metro or Bridgeport about 20 minutes away and take the train from there.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M49869-60233

And one in Ansonia, about 25 min from Ffld Metro.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M45383-45388

Last edited by Stylo; 05-10-2023 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-10-2023, 08:51 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
No chance, OP. From Norwich, the sanest option (and its not sane) is a 3 hour Amtrak ride after driving to New London. You still would get in well past 8:30, leaving by 5:20. Plus, it would be very expensive more often than not. Amtrak pricing varies wildly.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:09 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
There’s a reason that Norwich homes are so cheap and that’s its distance to major employment centers. New York City is about 130 miles from Norwich. Even without traffic it would take you over 2 1/2 hours each way. That’s an insane commute.

What is your budget? There are more affordable areas closer to the city that you may want to consider. The Danbury area immediately comes to mind. Stratford also might work. Another are the Naugatuck River Valley towns like Derby, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls and Naugatuck. Also you could consider the City of Waterbury. Again it depends on your budget.

Have you considered leaving your job in New York. I’m not sure what you do but Electric Boat in Groton is hiring thousands. You might check what they are looking for. You would be close to Norwich then but also affordable nicer towns near it. Jay

Old 05-11-2023, 07:21 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
I live in Trumbull CT and you can do two or three days into NYC. Even up to Milford it's not bad. I have been told by realtors that some people do it from Branford but I would not advise it.

I believe from New Haven it is a good two solid hours on Metro North into Manhattan. I had to look up and see where Norwich is. I see where it is and it's too far frankly. I know when you are young you can do some crazy things to get a house but this seems way to crazy.

Are you single? Why don't you get a two family or a SFH that you can rent out a room or two that west of New Haven in a town not too far from Metro North.

What about a townhouse/condo to start? That's how my husband and I did it. We had a one bedroom condo in Stamford, built up equity and then bought a house in Trumbull. There were people who had thier first children in one bedroom condos and then they bought a house after a certain amount of time.

What are you going to do if your employer says "party over, everyone in the office full time".

Old 05-11-2023, 07:26 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Edit: here's a small SFH in Derby. You drive right to Fairfield Metro or Bridgeport about 20 minutes away and take the train from there.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M49869-60233

The house in Derby is a crazy commute into NYC but for a young person it's doable. It's crazy but not totally insane like a Norwich commute.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Trumbull CT and you can do two or three days into NYC. Even up to Milford it's not bad. I have been told by realtors that some people do it from Branford but I would not advise it.

I believe from New Haven it is a good two solid hours on Metro North into Manhattan. I had to look up and see where Norwich is. I see where it is and it's too far frankly. I know when you are young you can do some crazy things to get a house but this seems way to crazy.
Trumbull and Milford are just about identical commutes by train (I've timed it). Depending on where you live in each town, one could be faster than the other.

There is a 99 minute express from New Haven, but other trains are closer to 2 hours.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

The house in Derby is a crazy commute into NYC but for a young person it's doable. It's crazy but not totally insane like a Norwich commute.
It's actually not THAT crazy.

It's 20 minutes to Fairfield Metro (no different than from most parts of Trumbull and Milford).

Old 05-11-2023, 07:35 AM

252 posts, read 138,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's actually not THAT crazy.

It's 20 minutes to Fairfield Metro (no different than from most parts of Trumbull and Milford).
20 minutes just to drive to a train station for a 1.5+ hour commute would get real old real fast. Do you know how slow those trains are? Especially that last jaunt when it pulls into Grand Central. They are so slow. It will drive anyone insane eventually.

Plus you would have to live in Derby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut