Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 06:02 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times

Advertisements

So apparently the First Selectman of Suffield had a children’s book removed from a library display after receiving a couple complaints about it. They book refers to gender fluid characters as They, Their and Them.

And you thought this kind of censorship only occurred down south?

I’m sorry but I can’t believe an educated person these days would do this. I’m hardly a liberal but this kind of crap makes my blood boil. Guess what you idiots, you can’t hide the rest of the real world from your children whether you like it or not. Such closed minded thinking creates closed minded children and that creates more conflict in a world that is already too divided. Let’s worry about important things already and leave this minor garbage outside on the curb where it belongs. Jay

https://www.courant.com/2023/03/18/a...led-censorship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 07:45 PM

34,010 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Inadvertently he likely is bringing more attention to the book. Now I must admit I wish we would stick to the 3 r's (yes I firmly believe children should be taught the non computerized way to solve equations, even in 2023, plus all the basics), as opposed to spending time on the newly created pronouns.

That being said, not doing anything would likely put this book into the obscure state of books read in any library. So the motive and result of this action are polar opposites.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:13 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,144,384 times
What gets me is when they ban books for being "sexually explicit" but they are always gay themed books. More sexually explicit books they look they other way on--which happen to be hetero. Such hypocrisy. If you're going to be homophobic, just own it.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:32 PM

10,061 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Call me crazy, but I really don't see the censorship. The book was removed from a display, but is still available in the library. Initially, I thought the book was removed from the library preventing anyone from reading it, but that is not the case. By the sheer nature of a display, the amount of books there has to be a small percentage of all the books available in the library.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:24 AM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
What gets me is when they ban books for being "sexually explicit" but they are always gay themed books. More sexually explicit books they look they other way on--which happen to be hetero. Such hypocrisy. If you're going to be homophobic, just own it.
Adult romance novels are getting banned too?
This is about a children’s book. I thought the bannings were only children book related.

Old 03-19-2023, 08:38 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,144,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Adult romance novels are getting banned too?
This is about a children’s book. I thought the bannings were only children book related.
No in many school districts, childred and teen themed books are getting banned with gay themes. But yes, many books with at least adolescent themes do have sexually explicit content and those aren't getting band. So adult romance novels = a false dichotomy.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:44 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,668 times
From the article: "Moll said in response to the controversy that he had the book taken off display, but had not banned or removed it from the library shelf, and that was in response to a resident’s complaint. It wasn’t the material that prompted him to do it, he said, but rather because, “It’s my job to respond to residents.”"

It's okay to remove the book because it is his "job to respond to residents?" What a ridiculous excuse for moving the book.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:01 AM

6,572 posts, read 4,964,901 times
I couldn't read the article ever with reader view, but I don't know..... I've seen some book titles in the past few years that parents have been upset about. I've looked at them online and they just seem way advanced subject wise for the kids who are supposed to be reading them. I get that family units are very diverse these days but some of these seem really explicit to me.

Old 03-19-2023, 10:37 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,668 times
This one doesn't strike me as being explicit:https://www.amazon.com/What-Are-Your.../dp/0316542067

The objection here was almost definitely related to the book's subject matter and not that it is explicit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I couldn't read the article ever with reader view, but I don't know..... I've seen some book titles in the past few years that parents have been upset about. I've looked at them online and they just seem way advanced subject wise for the kids who are supposed to be reading them. I get that family units are very diverse these days but some of these seem really explicit to me.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:25 AM

274 posts, read 144,362 times
Yes, this is nothing new in CT. It's not just a southern a thing. New Haven in the past have removed some books from the children's author Dr. Seuss from display/circulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut