Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 10:15 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,045,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oh yeah, if you look you will see that the average student in our state is well educated and well prepared to go to college, get a trade or find a job. The failing schools in our cities also have many students that do fine as well but hey if your ready to spend the trillions needed to overhaul our public schools, I’m sure the liberals would love to have the money and your support. Jay
I'm fine with trillions if that is what it takes. Because while suburban Junior will be fine, urban Junior will not be right now. This conservative is NOT ok with that disparity, despite never living in an urban environment.

I am not simply saying "If my town is ok, who cares about the cities?". Our biggest local failure, long-term is this is a NIMBY state, which could not care less about other communities.

While not well done, No Child Left Behind should be the goal. If we are half as good as we are arrogant about Ct, that should be the only acceptable goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
When did I ever say I did not want a replacement? When did ANYONE?

You don’t trust towns to do the right thing when given a law that actually gives reasonable mandates to meet? You ASSUME I don’t want a replacement law.

Seems like you are the one with the problem, not me. Jay
You said in other posts you told reps you wanted 8-30g gone, but why not insist to "Repeal and replace". Spent as much time detailing the problem with them, using stats on the rising % of Ct residents who do not qualify to rent as a metric.

Too many towns have added far too few units to trust them, so I proudly do not trust those with minuscule % of affordable units.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You said in other posts you told reps you wanted 8-30g gone, but why not insist to "Repeal and replace". Spent as much time detailing the problem with them, using stats on the rising % of Ct residents who do not qualify to rent as a metric.

Too many towns have added far too few units to trust them, so I proudly do not trust those with minuscule % of affordable units.
If you look at my posts that actually went into more detail you will see that is exactly what I have repeatedly said. Just because I say in some posts that 8-30g is a bad law that must be changed doesn’t mean I don’t want a better law to replace it. Funny how you missed what I said in some posts but not others. Maybe you need to pay closer attention. Jay

Old 08-11-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with trillions if that is what it takes. Because while suburban Junior will be fine, urban Junior will not be right now. This conservative is NOT ok with that disparity, despite never living in an urban environment.

I am not simply saying "If my town is ok, who cares about the cities?". Our biggest local failure, long-term is this is a NIMBY state, which could not care less about other communities.

While not well done, No Child Left Behind should be the goal. If we are half as good as we are arrogant about Ct, that should be the only acceptable goal.
So you advocate spending trillions more and paying increased taxes for this? Funny I seem to remember you being critical of other tax increases. Good to know you support education with no limits to cost.

That said I disagree. Connecticut has one of the best public education systems in the country. Pretty much if a student wants, they will get a good education. We don’t have bottomless pockets whether we like it or not.

If you talk to frontline urban educators though you would see that the failure is not necessarily with the schools but it’s with the parents and the child’s home life. Parents who do not care or aren’t involved in their kid’s education and who don’t follow through with homework or other support are the biggest problem facing our education system. I have several friends and family members who teach in inner city schools and they ALL say this.

Again given that the vast majority of Connecticut students do very well, I think that a school performing above the state average is a reasonable benchmark for whether a school is not failing to educate its students and strongly stand by that. It’s admirable but unrealistic and unreasonable to expect more. That says a lot about you. Jay

Old 08-11-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
So you advocate spending trillions more and paying increased taxes for this? Funny I seem to remember you being critical of other tax increases. Good to know you support education with no limits to cost.
On this issue, yes. Smart spending, targeting increased knowledge of fundamental subjects. I'd like to see us do as well as Asian Americans do (subject of recent SC case affirmative action based), and it's because their focus on fundamentals is intense.

3 in 5 Ct residents stop their education at grade 12. I do not want them left behind. It's my pet issue.

PS: It will need to involve parents, also. Personally, I wish parent's child tax credits were tied to educational achievements, instead of quantity of kids.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:

If you talk to frontline urban educators though you would see that the failure is not necessarily with the schools but it’s with the parents and the child’s home life. Parents who do not care or aren’t involved in their kid’s education and who don’t follow through with homework or other support are the biggest problem facing our education system. I have several friends and family members who teach in inner city schools and they ALL say this.
I am a big fan of the Moynihan report of the 60s and think we should expect even our inner cities to do better. Strive high, not low. I fault both parties for not acting on that report. It should have been a game changer for approaching educating those from bad environments. Both parties wanted to sweep its message under the rug, for different reasons.

I also have family in teaching, tutored 30 hours weekly during college, and for 5 years after, did it after work, and sometimes, Jay, you can overcome those bad environments, if the kids themselves recognize the need to reach above it. One girl I helped I was unsure she'd finish high school (dad was psycho known to state cops), and she is an RN, for decades now.

So, I feel for urban teachers, and simply hope it makes their resolve to help even stronger.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I am a big fan of the Moynihan report of the 60s and think we should expect even our inner cities to do better. Strive high, not low. I fault both parties for not acting on that report. It should have been a game changer for approaching educating those from bad environments. Both parties wanted to sweep its message under the rug, for different reasons.

I also have family in teaching, tutored 30 hours weekly during college, and for 5 years after, did it after work, and sometimes, Jay, you can overcome those bad environments, if the kids themselves recognize the need to reach above it. One girl I helped I was unsure she'd finish high school (dad was psycho known to state cops), and she is an RN, for decades now.

So, I feel for urban teachers, and simply hope it makes their resolve to help even stronger.
But we are not talking about how to better educate everyone. We are talking about a reasonable measure to judge if a school is failing its students.

It’s pretty clear that McKinley is not failing if students are performing above the state average and parents do not want the change. Again it’s the state sticking its nose in local matters to meet some arbitrary diversity mandate made up by liberal ideologists out to create their vision of a perfect world. They should just butt out. Jay

Old 09-14-2023, 04:10 AM

if McKinley simply bussed under 25 kids, they would fall under the limit. 436 kids there, and about 5% over the limit.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
if McKinley simply bussed under 25 kids, they would fall under the limit. 436 kids there, and about 5% over the limit.
How do you pick the 25 kids? They’ve tried to use a volunteer program and it worked for only so long and then the problem came back.

And it’s projected to get worse in coming years as more minorities move to Fairfield and its Tunxis Hill neighborhood. I’m sure all the 8-30g buildings going up won’t help it either.

I’m sorry but the school is providing students there with a good education. Students are performing above the state averages on standardized tests which is a good measure for students to achieve. This is nothing more than social engineering for a problem that doesn’t exist. Another useless state mandate. Jay

Old 09-14-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
How do you pick the 25 kids? They’ve tried to use a volunteer program and it worked for only so long and then the problem came back.
picking names in a drawing.

The reality is the city must comply, as it is a mandate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut