Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 05:53 AM

847 posts, read 510,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Blue prog states have racial imbalance laws. It’s part of their DNA. It’s just the way it is now, there’s no getting around it. If you disagree then either vote against them or get United Van Lines quotes online. The Alabama and TN forums are a great resource as well.
It's all a matter which you think has the least harmful bad policies. I know what I prefer and it's not Alabama or TN. I'll take the shortcoming of the prog states like CT over the shortcomings of the AL, TN, and FL. All day. Twice on Sunday.

Anybody who thinks their party is right on more than 80% of this issues is an idiot, IMHO. I made that stat up obviously, but you get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 05:56 AM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t see why not. It’s like the lawsuit that brought us these ridiculous laws, Sheff verses O’Neill. O’Neill was Governor at the time of the lawsuit. Jay

https://www.wshu.org/connecticut-new...s-a-settlement
Elizabeth Horton Sheff was an individual. Since nothing has changed in Fairfield due to the legislation, I doubt a basis to sue exists at this time.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:01 PM

6,923 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
It's all a matter which you think has the least harmful bad policies. I know what I prefer and it's not Alabama or TN. I'll take the shortcoming of the prog states like CT over the shortcomings of the AL, TN, and FL. All day. Twice on Sunday.

Anybody who thinks their party is right on more than 80% of this issues is an idiot, IMHO. I made that stat up obviously, but you get my point.
If you want to remain in CT you have to live with imbalance laws, there’s no alternative.
Guys when I say these things I’m not deriding or begrudging it. I’m behind many prog initiatives myself. Probably 80%. The only thing I’m a far right looney on is Covid and maintaining proper law enforcement.
I’m typing this from LA right now. I’d rather be here or CT also. 24-7 and beyond. I prefer them physically and geographically over the south. I’m not one to let politics consume and dictate where I have to live like a middle class Tollander on the leaving FB group.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:34 PM

34,949 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Sheff was an individual, though, like Casey vs Lamont. Casey (who owns Casey's Bar in Milford) sued Lamont over lockdown rules during covid.

I can't fathom an individual showing economic loss over this. A city would.
Often an individual will be the front for a special interest group. That was how Sheff vs. O’Neill was structured. Jay

Old 10-01-2023, 07:39 PM

34,949 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Elizabeth Horton Sheff was an individual. Since nothing has changed in Fairfield due to the legislation, I doubt a basis to sue exists at this time.
What? If the state forces the town to implement busing to racially balance the school district, that would definitely be a sufficient basis for a lawsuit challenging the law. Jay

Old 10-01-2023, 08:09 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
What? If the state forces the town to implement busing to racially balance the school district, that would definitely be a sufficient basis for a lawsuit challenging the law. Jay
likely have to be by a person, not a city.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:32 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Is there anywhere to find the demographic data of the Fairfield, Ct schools. I worry the town may not be looking at the data correctly, and it is creating this large unnevessary issue when there is not one.
Greatschools shows it and is labeled as coming from "Source: National Center for Education Statistics, 2019"

There are a ton of documents on the Fairfield Public Schools website, though these generally show minority vs non-minority percentages as a blanket total. Here is one of the most recent documents: https://resources.finalsite.net/imag...esentation.pdf

It is entirely possible that if you page through the huge number of previous presentations, one will show demographics that are more detailed. I just can't remember whether any did and if so, which one it was .

https://boe.fairfieldschools.org/racial-imbalance-plan/

Old 10-02-2023, 10:40 AM

13,781 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Some education experts think that the state’s racial imbalance is actually bad. I have to agree.

The law says that each school must fall within 25 percentage points of the districts overall racial makeup. It does not matter if the school performs well or not. But as experts have now pointed out, the law unfairly impacts minorities by forcing towns to send minority students to other schools outside their neighborhood.

At the forefront of this issue is Fairfield’s McKinley School which serves the towns working class Tunxis Hill neighborhood. Nearly 57% of the students in the school are minorities which is well over the 25% above the district rate. The issue has been of concern for nearly two decades and the town has tried multiple ways to reduce that number including a voluntary program to allow minority students to attend other schools in the district and allow white students to attend the school if wanted. It has not been successful.

The thing that the law does not consider though is the performance of the school. Despite having a high percentage of students where English is not their first language, the school performs above the state average on standardized tests.

I have family that goes to the school and they love it. The family member is a teacher and believes the quality of education their children are getting there is very high.

What is angering many parents at the school is that the state education officials have met with the superintendent and told him that the imbalance must be fixed. It’s been 16 years that the state has been watching McKinley. According to my family member none of the parents with students in the school want anything changed.

So what do you think? Is racial balance across a district that important to disrupt students and ship them across town to a less diverse schools? Should the law be revised? Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/fairfield/...s-18198433.php

Never stand up in court esp. the USSC. Expect a lawsuit to be filed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut