Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 06:42 PM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times

Advertisements

Some education experts think that the state’s racial imbalance is actually bad. I have to agree.

The law says that each school must fall within 25 percentage points of the districts overall racial makeup. It does not matter if the school performs well or not. But as experts have now pointed out, the law unfairly impacts minorities by forcing towns to send minority students to other schools outside their neighborhood.

At the forefront of this issue is Fairfield’s McKinley School which serves the towns working class Tunxis Hill neighborhood. Nearly 57% of the students in the school are minorities which is well over the 25% above the district rate. The issue has been of concern for nearly two decades and the town has tried multiple ways to reduce that number including a voluntary program to allow minority students to attend other schools in the district and allow white students to attend the school if wanted. It has not been successful.

The thing that the law does not consider though is the performance of the school. Despite having a high percentage of students where English is not their first language, the school performs above the state average on standardized tests.

I have family that goes to the school and they love it. The family member is a teacher and believes the quality of education their children are getting there is very high.

What is angering many parents at the school is that the state education officials have met with the superintendent and told him that the imbalance must be fixed. It’s been 16 years that the state has been watching McKinley. According to my family member none of the parents with students in the school want anything changed.

So what do you think? Is racial balance across a district that important to disrupt students and ship them across town to a less diverse schools? Should the law be revised? Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/fairfield/...s-18198433.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 10:40 PM

21,783 posts, read 28,131,791 times
I think it’s silly and racially discriminatory

Old 07-31-2023, 10:59 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,188,449 times
The irony was the town tore down the original school to fix a mold issue that probably could have been remedied for far less money. Building a new school in a town that at the time had only one other new elementary school. Burr. So knowing they had an issue with racial imbalance they built a school so nice, no family would want their kids to go anywhere else!
Recall one remedy was to offer free pre school at Burr, if you committed to send your kids to Burr till grade 6. This was only offered to Mckinley kids. Believe plenty took advantage of this then reneged when kindergarten started!

Old 08-01-2023, 05:03 AM

848 posts, read 511,434 times
This is the wrong way to go about it.

Rather than making a blanket rule, there should be a non-judicial mechanism for people in a town to challenge districting and resource allocation if they think the town is dividing things up unfairly. I saw first hand what happens to schools when you do too much bussing. Schools lose their community feel and parent/community engagement is greatly reduced. If McKinley parents are happy with the school and the community it's isn't making the push, it should be left along. If a district is intentionally gerrymandering districts or making unequal distribution of resources for racial or social-economic reasons, there should be way to take that to state arbitration and let it get solved on a case by case basis. They can look at budget, class size, etc.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:04 AM

752 posts, read 555,268 times
Busing kids all over town to average out racial imbalances is not the answer.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:29 AM

6,941 posts, read 3,771,152 times
Why is one of the bluest most progressive states in the entire world still going backwards on some things?
Hey Lamont - its 2023 guy! wake up!
CT's transportation future is at a serious crossroads and they still want to do 1970s bussing to pollute the air more. They won't let EV companies sell in state even though Lamont and the legislators are all of a sudden climate change activists who jam it down your throat every 5 seconds ( at this point who doesn't know it's a 113 today in Phoenix). They flat out refuse to add a lane on 95 and the Merritt. That could be fixed in 5 minutes like they do in Dubai and Florida.
Lamont and the legislators are more worried about telling parents there are no more "boys" and "girls" then what parents actually want and think what's best for their kids.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:53 AM

830 posts, read 1,095,256 times
Greenwich could never. The racial imbalance between the elementary/middle schools on the west side of town and east side of town are night and day.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:28 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,726,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Busing kids all over town to average out racial imbalances is not the answer.
Correct. We saw that back in the '70s when Boston tried busing kids from Southie to Roxbury and vice versa. It was a colossal failure. Do we ever learn? Not THIS retarded state.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:18 AM

848 posts, read 511,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Correct. We saw that back in the '70s when Boston tried busing kids from Southie to Roxbury and vice versa. It was a colossal failure. Do we ever learn? Not THIS retarded state.
Forget about the 70s. Bussing in Boston is still a massive issue and a giant problem. Don’t get me started on that rant.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:25 AM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I am not in favor of the Ct handling of this in Fairfield, but Boston is a bad example. There is a natural reason this city believed the Stuart murder hoax, and it's not a pretty reason. While I was not a fan of busing, in the 70s the anti busing crowd's most vocal voices.

So, while I am not a fan of what the OP described, the last city I would want us to imitate on this issue would be Boston.

I would hope Ct residents can respectfully disagree with policies, unlike New England's largest city on this issue.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-01-2023 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic flame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut