Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 07:22 AM

879 posts, read 1,666,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The article stated town is not sure state will give it more time. If not, what is Ct empowered to do by this legislation? Can they take over the school system?
I think we (I'm in Fairfield) might lose funding to some extent unless we follow whatever their plan is. At least, that's the impression I've gotten in town discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:43 AM

870 posts, read 525,782 times
Quote:
Ct is the one with this law.
You used a blanket statement, "liberalism is politics at it's worst, btw." That's a blanket statement about liberalism. Give me a break. Criticize the bill all you want, but that little tag at the end has the clear implication that liberalism is the worst type of politics.

Now, change the statement to "this is an example of bad liberal politics," fair enough. I'll agree with you on that. But the other blanket statement, yeah, glass houses and stones, Bob.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:20 AM

34,181 posts, read 17,257,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I think we (I'm in Fairfield) might lose funding to some extent unless we follow whatever their plan is. At least, that's the impression I've gotten in town discussions.
That makes sense, as state funding does come with implications of obeying their laws.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:40 AM

35,125 posts, read 57,268,261 times
Quote:
That makes sense, as state funding does come with implications of obeying their laws.
The thing is I don’t think the law has been tested. The towns have done their best to comply and it’s worked to a point. That said this seems to be the first time it hasn’t worked sustainably. We will see but I think this will head to the courts before anything else. Jay

Old 09-29-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The thing is I don’t think the law has been tested. The towns have done their best to comply and it’s worked to a point. That said this seems to be the first time it hasn’t worked sustainably. We will see but I think this will head to the courts before anything else. Jay
Can a city sue Ct?

Old 09-29-2023, 10:54 AM

879 posts, read 1,666,667 times
Quote:
Can a city sue Ct?
I know in the past - 2003, I think - there was a lawsuit filed by parents at McKinley School who did not want to be redistricted out. I believe it was directed to a US District Court.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:32 PM

285 posts, read 153,065 times
Is there anywhere to find the demographic data of the Fairfield, Ct schools. I worry the town may not be looking at the data correctly, and it is creating this large unnevessary issue when there is not one.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:53 PM

35,125 posts, read 57,268,261 times
Quote:
Can a city sue Ct?
I don’t see why not. It’s like the lawsuit that brought us these ridiculous laws, Sheff verses O’Neill. O’Neill was Governor at the time of the lawsuit. Jay

https://www.wshu.org/connecticut-new...s-a-settlement

Old 09-29-2023, 08:30 PM

7,144 posts, read 3,880,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
You used a blanket statement, "liberalism is politics at it's worst, btw." That's a blanket statement about liberalism. Give me a break. Criticize the bill all you want, but that little tag at the end has the clear implication that liberalism is the worst type of politics.

Now, change the statement to "this is an example of bad liberal politics," fair enough. I'll agree with you on that. But the other blanket statement, yeah, glass houses and stones, Bob.
Blue prog states have racial imbalance laws. It’s part of their DNA. It’s just the way it is now, there’s no getting around it. If you disagree then either vote against them or get United Van Lines quotes online. The Alabama and TN forums are a great resource as well.

Old 09-30-2023, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t see why not. It’s like the lawsuit that brought us these ridiculous laws, Sheff verses O’Neill. O’Neill was Governor at the time of the lawsuit. Jay

https://www.wshu.org/connecticut-new...s-a-settlement
Sheff was an individual, though, like Casey vs Lamont. Casey (who owns Casey's Bar in Milford) sued Lamont over lockdown rules during covid.

I can't fathom an individual showing economic loss over this. A city would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut