Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 06:26 PM

10,127 posts, read 15,005,385 times

Advertisements

It isn't much of racial segregation as it's an income/wealth one. For the most part, a person can be a minority and will have no problems moving to areas where whites predominate if the area is more expensive than the rest and they have the income/wealth to buy property there. People will not bat an eye over that.

You will also see that minority children and teenagers will have healthy friend relationships with other kids in the neighborhood even if he is the only minority of the bunch.

I don't get the impression CT has much of a racial problem. If it did, then any income/wealth of a high income minority family would find it difficult to fit in when the area is mostly dominated by whites. That's not to say things don't happen from time to time, but they are very much exceptions than the rule, IMO.

CT is an overwhelmingly white state and it has been like that essentially since colonial times, but I don't get the impression that the average white Nutmegger is intentionally racist. Given that perception, I'm more inclined to believe that if someone considers most CT people to be racists, they either don't know CT or it's a reflection of themselves (in this case could it be racism towards white people? It does exist, lets not pretend otherwise.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 08:24 PM

6,931 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
I can only speak to FFC but having been here for a few years, I'm shocked by the degree of racial segregation and NIMBYism, having moved here from more "inclusive" areas. I'm sure this law will be met with extreme resistance and gaslighting just like everything else that poses a threat to carefully-maintained demographics. I think you just have to call out the racism where you see it and move on.
Absolutely Tsek. Ct is one of if not the most racially segregated states in the nation hands down. That’s not to say there aren’t some exceptions and it’s hate type racism, no, but CT is open and inclusive too- between the hours 8am and 6 pm. If you come from the other side of the tracks you make sure you go back.
Socializing among races is almost non existent in CT as well. Outside co-workers grabbing lunch together and kid sports, it’s very rare.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:13 AM

281 posts, read 345,749 times
Imagine at least part of your job being counting people by "kinds" and determining that there are too many of those and not enough of these. How is where people choose to live the schools' problem? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:29 AM

847 posts, read 510,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
okay sorry, got a little carried away there; thought I was responding to someone's praise of BPS.
"as far as urban school systems go"

You missed that part of my post. Compare BPS to most urban districts. I've been an educator for over 20 years, worked at BPS, currently work in an urban district in CT, and have a dozen friends with kids in BPS. There are some very, very good schools in BPS that aren't just the exam schools. I've spent some time at a non-exam high school during my administrative internship.

I stand by that statement.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:54 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Watkins View Post
Imagine at least part of your job being counting people by "kinds" and determining that there are too many of those and not enough of these. How is where people choose to live the schools' problem? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.
That’s a good question. The problem is liberal lawmakers don’t like the answer. As I said, the school performs well and none of the families affected care. They want to remain in the school. The better question should why is the state once again sticking its nose in local issues? The answer is yet another bad law. Jay

Old 08-08-2023, 08:10 PM

6,931 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That’s a good question. The problem is liberal lawmakers don’t like the answer. As I said, the school performs well and none of the families affected care. They want to remain in the school. The better question should why is the state once again sticking its nose in local issues? The answer is yet another bad law. Jay
You mean the liberal lawmakers lead by Lamont you and most of CT voted for?

You Voted For It

Old 08-08-2023, 08:54 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

You Voted For It
Bingo. They are simply Northeast liberals acting like Northeast liberals, whether on issues like school demographics or 8-30g.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:51 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

You Voted For It
I think most voters voted for the lesser of two evils. Stefanowski was a no-go long before the last election. Jay

Old 08-09-2023, 10:08 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
"as far as urban school systems go"

You missed that part of my post. Compare BPS to most urban districts. I've been an educator for over 20 years, worked at BPS, currently work in an urban district in CT, and have a dozen friends with kids in BPS. There are some very, very good schools in BPS that aren't just the exam schools. I've spent some time at a non-exam high school during my administrative internship.

I stand by that statement.
Okay; a friend of mine also taught for years in the BPS and had a slightly less positive view of it. But like every school district, there are good teachers and bad teachers, good admin and bad admin, and variations in the student population.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:15 AM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think most voters voted for the lesser of two evils. Stefanowski was a no-go long before the last election. Jay
So, the racial imbalance then, plus 8-30g, are they, in your view, lesser issues? Interesting, as they are dominating this board in posts.

In reality, Jay, in the 21st century, we are a one party state. The gap in campaign platforms from the GOP the last several times has been fairly wide, but the results have been the same.

That means Fairfield plus 168 other communities will be dealing with 8-30g plus racial imbalance regs for decades to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut