Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 04:46 PM

64 posts, read 42,457 times

Advertisements

Now I see why people said it isnt worth it to move into a big conference for gameplay like this

It feels like the talks of going to a big conference this past summer have gone to Jim Moras head. And it feels like last years bowl apperance was a fluke.

Its like the FBS level has offically been hard for them now with all these blowout losses and would be more comfortable back in Division 1-AA (FCS)

Is the FBS money worth getting blown out week after week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 05:22 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,148,099 times
Here we go with knee jerk overreactions to a bad loss. No. They will never, ever do that. They will have to be forced out. This topic just won't stop coming up.

We are talking about a program that got to The Fiesta Bowl, that has been ranked in the top 25, that was 6-6 last year. They've had a modicum of success. There are TONS of entertainment starved alumni in the state. (As Steve would point out, almost no one ever leaves this state). They have potential to turn it around and at least be respectable again. They worked really hard to get into FBS and get The Rent built. They will never retreat back voluntarily.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:19 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Mostly, they will flounder at the same level they are now at.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:42 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
This sounds a lot like University at Buffalo (or SUNY-Buffalo), where my daughter goes, I believe they also moved to Division I in the last decade or two for football. While a couple of years ago they ended up ranked #25, the first time that ever happened for them (and while college football is one of the few sports I don't follow extensively, I do remember it used to be a "top 20"), but most years including this one they are either getting blown out a lot, start out being blown out and don't recover enough, or start out winning and blow leads. So I don't know what to think but I feel for UConn, certainly football is nothing like their basketball programs (both men and women! Actually, especially the women) for them.

Old 09-24-2023, 10:30 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Why would they have to move down? Plenty of D1 teams get their clocks cleaned every week.
They’re called cupcakes. Bowling Green, Kentucky, wake Forest are a couple of examples.

Old 09-24-2023, 11:13 AM

1,725 posts, read 1,148,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Why would they have to move down? Plenty of D1 teams get their clocks cleaned every week.
They’re called cupcakes. Bowling Green, Kentucky, wake Forest are a couple of examples.
Exactly. Basically we're the football equivalent of Stony Brook when they play UConn in basketball in a November game.

But people beat this drum based on "these are my tax dollars at work!". But by that logic, UConn should shut down all sports besides basketball because they all lose money. Some things still have value beyond profit margins.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Look. It takes time for a new coach to recruit talent that will work within the game plan that a coach has for his team. It is no different than the NFL in that matter. The time to really evaluate the team's progress or lack thereof will be two seasons from now. By that time virtually ever player on the team will be one of his recruits and not those of the prior coaching staff. BTW. The injuries the Huskies have had to endure the last few seasons especially at QB are not helping matters. Bad luck.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:08 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
KY has a pretty good team again and has for the last few seasons. Former QB Will Levis is from CT and is now playing in the NFL. Went in the second round to the Titans this past draft.

As a reminder UConn has not been a patsy every season since day one of joining the 1A level. And they were a very good program in 1AA that led them to making the jump. Skip Holtz had a damn good team during his time in Storrs.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:29 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
True. The Washington Wizards lost over 90% to the Globetrotters, too.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:36 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
True. The Washington Wizards lost over 90% to the Globetrotters, too.
Wasn't it the Wahington Generals or Federals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut