Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,467 times

Advertisements

I love to hear when people "Pay It Forward". It certainly does make for a nicer world to live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
By the tone of your post, it's hard to read if you are being sarcastic, facetious or serious.

Are you saying that chances are, the taxpayers are footing the bill for this man and his family and that others outside the state should not provide some sort of relief for the CT taxpayers by making donations for his care and expenses?
I'm being factual. Nothing more. It's the reality.

He is poor and a minority. That means in CT you are well taken care of. While I can't be positive he didn't have a family and large mortgage to pay or is out of a good paying job - I'm 99.9% sure it's not the case.

Again, just being factual.

IF there are needs beyond what is covered and IF there is a fund for needs...I'm all for it, but I'm also just letting you all know how it works here in CT for the "poor".

Any monies sent in will not "relieve" the state's portion that they will be covering - that is a nice thought but too simplistic and not reality. The state is a big machine.

But if "ya'll" want to send some money to the state of CT all of us over tax burdened folks would appreciate it. (<--THAT was a joke.)

Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
He is poor and a minority. That means in CT you are well taken care of.
Eh I strongly disagree. But given that this thread has been nothing but disagreements, I'll just leave it at that.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
Just to get a better perspective you may want to watch a video catching the essence of the area. It provides nice background material for the chosen soundtrack.

YouTube - Hartford, CT

Old 06-08-2008, 06:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Oh, again...you've misread. It doesn't bother me at all. I am more than happy to help facilitate a good deed. Even yours. I am sorry if you feel that my insight is due to being "bothered" that people want to help. It's not. I just think people don't think far enough ahead and end up causing more problems due to lack of information or education.

You stated: "You seem to wan't (sic) to complacate (sic) a simple action."

Actually, if you read what I am saying it's the other way around...it's a simple action that complicates things. I was hopeful that people would donate and show appreciation in a manner that would be helpful for ALL concerned.

Once a fund is set up I will donate anonymously. I firmly believe in paying it forward. We both can agree on that.

Why does it bother you, may I ask? You seem pretty fired up that no one is doing it your way. <shrug>
I think we get the gist of what you're trying to say and i find it shameful. I always try to remember that it's the thought that matters most, not the person's ability to analyze every possible scenario before taking action.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:22 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
The greatest power and change rests with women. They have the power to affect true change that addresses our societal ills by not allowing themselves to be used to give birth to babies born outside of a committed marriage. The thugs in this neighborhood impregnate young girls resulting in one of the highest teenage dropout rates in the nation and highest levels of illegitimate births.

The cycle perpetuates over and over with the assistance of a social welfare system, commercialized and glorified culture of violence, and lack of education and values in the home that supports such behavior.

It's time to break the cycle. If Hillary Clinton had run that message as part of her campaign message for women then I might have voted for her!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think we get the gist of what you're trying to say and i find it shameful. I always try to remember that it's the thought that matters most, not the person's ability to analyze every possible scenario before taking action.
If that were the case, then the 78-year-old hit-and-run victim would have had someone come to his aid. (ETA: Check his breathing, kneel down and comfort him, stop traffic and protect him from passing vehicles, etc.)

And you find shame in me for educating those who wish to help on how to do it better? Cute.

Last edited by DragonFly757; 06-08-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
If that were the case, then the 78-year-old hit-and-run victim would have had someone come to his aid. (ETA: Check his breathing, kneel down and comfort him, stop traffic and protect him from passing vehicles, etc.)
I don't see how your statement above correlates with what i posted regarding fighter 1's efforts.

Quote:
And you find shame in me for educating those who wish to help on how to do it better? Cute.
No, i don't find it shameful that you wish to "educate" those who wish to help, rather, i find it shameful when someone quotes grammatical errors(with the "sic" notation). I don't wish to engage in a joust here, so i will not. But, here is a link for you that you may wish to review before posting in the future.
condescending - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I don't see how your statement above correlates with what i posted regarding fighter 1's efforts.
Taking your very words: I always try to remember that it's the thought that matters most, not the person's ability to analyze every possible scenario before taking action.

Follow closely to how this applies:

Step 1: Thread is started in the CT forum about the hit-and-run and the lack of what happened by witnesses and passer-by's.

Step 2: Thread addresses outrage seen WORLDWIDE. People are wondering why no one had "the thought that counts" on their mind that tragic day when they stood by.

Step 3: CT residents make excuses for the locals, citing reasons why no one in their right mind OUGHT to offer assistance. They imply that it was properly analyzed by people who just KNOW better than to get involved.

Argument #1: In these excuses, the posters state that everyone on that street had enough INFORMATION to know not to help.
Argument #2: The posters state that they had enough EDUCATION to know not to touch the wounded elderly man.
Argument #3: Despite proof that others DO react differently in other areas of the nation (Dallas was an example) the posters say "that doesn't count"...and still make excuses why it was done to their satisfaction by doing NOTHING.
Argument #4: 9-1-1 calls not previously reported are now considered "appropriate" and "fixes" everything.

Step 4: Someone states they wish to help... now that all is said and done. I agree this is a good solution but know this isn't always an easy task.

Step 5: I say there's a better way to do it and give examples.

Step 6: The person wishing to help gets offended and gets mad.

Step 7: You come along and state the above-quoted text; namely, the part where the offended person wanting to help should not have the education or analytical skills to know this in advance and it is the "thought that counts".

Step 8: I point out the irony that the same is expected from the witnesses who stood by that day by people WORLDWIDE...and can't understand how the "thought that counts" was never expected or applied while an elderly man was laying in the street, especially from those responding here. The people on the street gawking at the hit-and-run victim were too busy analyzing the situation and based on their education on what to do in a situation like that...they simply did nothing.

Now do you see the connection?

Quote:
No, i don't find it shameful that you wish to "educate" those who wish to help, rather, i find it shameful when someone quotes grammatical errors(with the "sic" notation). I don't wish to engage in a joust here, so i will not. But, here is a link for you that you may wish to review before posting in the future.
condescending - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
As an editor of the written word (what I have done for a living for many years), it's easy to add "sic" to something that is incorrectly spelled. I was not putting the OP down. I just don't like proliferating incorrect information. Mea culpa. I have not done that in any of my posts here on city-data...but there is always a first time.

I appreciate your ability to use a condescending response as well. It's clear you have a grasp of the true meaning of the word and can apply it in context.

Can we move on? I feel I have provided excellent references on BOTH sides of the equation. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. I still believe it's a tragedy and that what happened NEVER should have happened the way it did.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Taking your very words: I always try to remember that it's the thought that matters most, not the person's ability to analyze every possible scenario before taking action.

Follow closely to how this applies:

Step 1: Thread is started in the CT forum about the hit-and-run and the lack of what happened by witnesses and passer-by's.

Step 2: Thread addresses outrage seen WORLDWIDE. People are wondering why no one had "the thought that counts" on their mind that tragic day when they stood by.

Step 3: CT residents make excuses for the locals, citing reasons why no one in their right mind OUGHT to offer assistance. They imply that it was properly analyzed by people who just KNOW better than to get involved.

Argument #1: In these excuses, the posters state that everyone on that street had enough INFORMATION to know not to help.
Argument #2: The posters state that they had enough EDUCATION to know not to touch the wounded elderly man.
Argument #3: Despite proof that others DO react differently in other areas of the nation (Dallas was an example) the posters say "that doesn't count"...and still make excuses why it was done to their satisfaction by doing NOTHING.
Argument #4: 9-1-1 calls not previously reported are now considered "appropriate" and "fixes" everything.

Step 4: Someone states they wish to help... now that all is said and done. I agree this is a good solution but know this isn't always an easy task.

Step 5: I say there's a better way to do it and give examples.

Step 6: The person wishing to help gets offended and gets mad.

Step 7: You come along and state the above-quoted text; namely, the part where the offended person wanting to help should not have the education or analytical skills to know this in advance and it is the "thought that counts".

Step 8: I point out the irony that the same is expected from the witnesses who stood by that day by people WORLDWIDE...and can't understand how the "thought that counts" was never expected or applied while an elderly man was laying in the street, especially from those responding here. The people on the street gawking at the hit-and-run victim were too busy analyzing the situation and based on their education on what to do in a situation like that...they simply did nothing.

Now do you see the connection?

No, i do not see the connection. You've obviously misread my original post. The original quotation that i made was your direct response to Fighter 1. My opinion related to your denigration of Fighter 1's competence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut