Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Seriously? Get real and think about it? We all have seen the video..I have listened to the 911 calls they released...I understand people were shocked, but my god. People need to snap out of it and react. I am not blaming a state or the entire community but people need to think about how they would react TODAY if they saw this. Learn from it. I am just upset over the excuses I have seen here and people more worried about defending their community instead of a helpless man. I watched the interview with the victims son and he even said he cant understand why no one went over to him. So how about you get real and think about it from another perspective than your own.
Hartwell Girl - We are only human and no one, including you, really knows how they will react in an emergency until it happens. You are expecting a lot from people and while yes it would have been the nice and humane thing to do to run out there and be with this man, the truth is only those people that were there know what it was like. Stop accepting everything that the media has played up on this story and don't let emotions be used to judge people. Look at the facts. This all happened in less than two minutes and it was a shocking thing to see on video. Imagine what it was like in person. That is what I mean when I say "get real". Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:15 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
I hope you, myself or any members of our family are never in the position this. Human compassion to show someone when they are afraid that "it will be alright" and help IS on the way. How scary to lay there and think no one saw me or what just happened and why cant I move. I simple face of compassion would have given this family more comfort than they currently have. We all have to stop thinking about just ourselves. Maybe a hero is really what I wish I would have seen on that tape.
You know what...Because you are not getting it, your post has triggered me to share a pesonal experience.

I crashed my sportbike when I was 19 years old at 120+mph. (Hit a deer) I was being stupid, young wreckless...yes.

A group of bystanders came to help. People like you. Well, I broke my nose and fractured my skull (Inside my helmet) so I was breathing but "snorking". I also totally blew apart my right knee. A bunch of meat and blood.

Well one bystander decided to removed my helmet and see if I was choking on something to "help". So, out of a dazed reaction I jumped up and started swinging at the "helper" thinking this person was doing me harm.

The result of someone "helping" me?

A knee that will never be the same because I put pressure on it and tore was was left of the cartilage. Thanks helper person.

I also have two fused vertebrae in my neck as well and I can't help but wonder if them yanking my helmet off after doing a face plant into the asphalt at 120mph helped screw it up. I am also VERY thankful I did not have a broken neck or I would probably be in a wheelchair due to their irresponsibility.

So was I comforted? Lady, I can't remember a thing in about a 20 minute time span. My mother could have been there singing me a lullaby and I would have not known the difference.

Was I glad someone "helped". No. 19 years later I still have pain from the good helper person's action.

Please don't try and debate me on wether their actions cause the trouble...I'll just give you my orthopedic's number and let him tell you the reality.

So take a lesson from someone who walked away from a near death accident. LEAVE THE PERSON ALONE AND WAIT FOR HELP.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:29 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Thanks for sharing that Jviello. If you ever took a first aid course, the first thing they tell you is to make sure the hurt person is safe. The second thing is to call for help and the third thing is to not move them. Leave that to the professionals. They will know how to do it correctly and not hurt the person even more. Jay

Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
I NEVER said do any first aid, and I dont live in CT or have cable tv so it is not like I am following this story other than some of info on the internet.

As for the comment that I am asking a lot of people, thats a matter of opinion. Some would say you are not asking enough of yourself.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 AM

66 posts, read 261,471 times
Quote:
As for the comment that I am asking a lot of people, thats a matter of opinion. Some would say you are not asking enough of yourself.
And those people have CLEARLY never been in a situation where you see someone come close to dying or come close to dying yourself. Facing mortality will change the way you react. Don't judge us just because we have been there already and know what happens.

You're one of the people who argued that the students at VaTech should have ganged up and tried to take down the gunman, aren't you?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,671 times
[CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER][/CENTER]
Hi
I don’t have so much idea regarding this subject. Just I suggest you to take steps accordingly.

[url=http://www.datingsitesandservices.com]Jewish Dating[/url]

Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorPacket View Post
And those people have CLEARLY never been in a situation where you see someone come close to dying or come close to dying yourself. Facing mortality will change the way you react. Don't judge us just because we have been there already and know what happens.

You're one of the people who argued that the students at VaTech should have ganged up and tried to take down the gunman, aren't you?
Facing mortality HAS changed the way I react...that is WHY i stand behind my position. And please dont imply that I am judging you, that is not my right, there is someone higher up who does that.

As for the VaTech comment, it in no way compares to this situation. But yes, if someone has the opportunity to help save a life...do it. Just like the passengers on the air plane on 9-11-01....they got involved to no only try to save their own lives but the lives of others. Obviously there is still so much people need to learn from helping eachother and others.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:33 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hartwell Girl - We are only human and no one, including you, really knows how they will react in an emergency until it happens. You are expecting a lot from people and while yes it would have been the nice and humane thing to do to run out there and be with this man, the truth is only those people that were there know what it was like. Stop accepting everything that the media has played up on this story and don't let emotions be used to judge people. Look at the facts. This all happened in less than two minutes and it was a shocking thing to see on video. Imagine what it was like in person. That is what I mean when I say "get real". Jay
Good post. I'm inclined to at least give these people the benefit of the doubt and not let my emotions be swayed by media sensationalism.

If I saw someone getting hit I don't know how I would react. I've never seen it before. Plus, I've always heard it was wrong to move a victim when he is hurt. But, like someone said before, at least no one was looting his pockets.

Secondly, if I was driving and I saw a man lying on the road I also wouldn't know what to think. He's in the middle of a busy road and there are no ambulances around so I'd be confused. I'd just keep driving.

I'm pretty sure most people don't know how to react. I've never personally seen a hit and run accident. If I was standing in the street and I had seen it then I wouldn't move him because it could be dangerous. I would look to see if he was okay and I'd give him room.

All in all, the entire incident happened in a space of two minutes. I don't think regular people know what to do in that situation. Somebody had probably said, "I'm running to call 911. You guys check to make sure he's okay." And then the people went over to see if he was okay, and wisely, they didn't try to play doctor. And if you'll look in the video it looked like right after the driver hit the man and took off a car stopped on the side of the road immediately. So there was a response. I'm more inclined to believe it was media sensationalism to sell a story.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:27 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thanks for sharing that Jviello. If you ever took a first aid course, the first thing they tell you is to make sure the hurt person is safe. The second thing is to call for help and the third thing is to not move them. Leave that to the professionals. They will know how to do it correctly and not hurt the person even more. Jay

And no one made sure he was safe in this video.

Just kneeling down and reassuring him or checking his airway, breathing or circulation (the ABC's) would not have caused further injury if done correctly.

There used to be a time when public schools taught basic first aid. CPR is taught for free in just about every community. Let's just say that I have never seen one that didn't.

I will assume that no one had the correct mind frame to use any basic first aid, even if they were ever taught it. But basic instinct in humans is to reach out to someone hurt and protect them. No assistance was needed other than comfort, whether he'd remember it later or not.

But we don't see any of that in the video.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Somebody had probably said, "I'm running to call 911. You guys check to make sure he's okay." And then the people went over to see if he was okay, and wisely, they didn't try to play doctor. And if you'll look in the video it looked like right after the driver hit the man and took off a car stopped on the side of the road immediately. So there was a response. I'm more inclined to believe it was media sensationalism to sell a story.
You will also see very soon into the video, someon walk over, bend over and look at him and walk towards the curb.

In half frame video like this, things are choppy. You can't make out that MAYBE, just MAYBE after looking down he yelled over to someone on the phone "He's breathing, not bleeding but out cold, tell them to get here ASAP" or whatever. You can't see his mouth or make out anything.

My gut is telling me perhaps that's what that person was doing. But who knows for sure with such low quality video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut