Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:02 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on Harwinton?

I have never heard of it before, but saw a rental in the area below and am wondering what towns in CT would be comparable to it?

In particular this area:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
The town is mostly rural- on the map you have provided, the rental is located just outside of Torrington. The town see Town of Harwinton

Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Harwinton is a small rural community located just southeast of Torrington. It is a quiet picturesque town that shares it's schools with neighboring Burlington. If you like the quiet life, it would be a good place to live, but be aware you would have to travel to get anywhere or buy most things. Jay

Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM

41 posts, read 157,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
but be aware you would have to travel to get anywhere or buy most things. Jay
No you wouldn't. Torrington will have anything you need and that location is right outside of it. All major retail outlets are available in Torrington now which is a city of 36k. As far as a job there are lots in the northwest corner and that location is also an easy 30 min commute to Hartford. Schools are Wamogo Regional H.S. and Har-Bur regional middle school. You will also be in close proximity to rt. 8 which is a quick 20 min ride to Waterbury. Anything else specific you want to know about the town let me know I live right near it.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Torrington has NO mall. It has walmart and target and that's about it. I lived their, I should know...(glad I got out).
If you like the rural thing then it will be great for you. But HArtford is NOT an easy commute. Maybe Waterbury using Rte 8.
I used to have to drive to West HArtford area everyday and it took me 45 minutes or so and it's all back roads with a lot of stop lights.

I'd say if you're looking for a rural area with decent schools its the way to go.

But if you like shopping at malls ALOT or going to a bookstore and having easy highway access, i'd look somewhere else.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff532003 View Post
No you wouldn't. Torrington will have anything you need and that location is right outside of it. All major retail outlets are available in Torrington now which is a city of 36k. As far as a job there are lots in the northwest corner and that location is also an easy 30 min commute to Hartford. Schools are Wamogo Regional H.S. and Har-Bur regional middle school. You will also be in close proximity to rt. 8 which is a quick 20 min ride to Waterbury. Anything else specific you want to know about the town let me know I live right near it.
Depending on where you live in Harwinton, it is still a drive to any shopping. You are correct that the east side of Torrington has a lot of shopping along East Main Street - Route 202 but it is still a drive from Harwinton. Jay

Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM

15 posts, read 46,601 times
harwinton is a great town, I live about 10-15 minutes from there in winsted. It is a very rural area so if you like city living such as walking to the store or a good night life such as bars or clubs - its not for you.
Besides that the highways offer a stress and traffic free travel route to major towns, torrington is very close by for alot of shopping, less than 10 minutes from most parts of harwinton, and ya there is no mall in torrington but plenty of other shoppping areas. Avon and canton are 20-25 minutes away and offer some higher class outlet stores.
It is a quiter and slower way of life out there.
But in return there is very minimal work close by and many residents travel, i myself travel to waterbury which is 25 minutes from harwintnon on highway but probley another 5-10 to get to the highway, I also go into farmington often where alot of buisnesses run out of and thats about 40 minutes because of traffic. If you work out of the hartford area - its just not a reasonable drive and there are other small towns closer to hartford for commute.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Saying that it is a 30 minute commute into Hartford from Harwinton is a bit of a stretch unless you are ignoring the speed limit and tooting along on 35 mph roads at 60 mph. There also is quite a bit of traffic on RT 4, the primary artery used to get into Hartford. Otherwise you'll have to take RT 6 through Bristol, similar problem (about 15 lights between North Main St in Bristol and the entrance to RT 84 East.

I'd plan more in the neighborhood of 45 to 50 minutes in a low traffic environment.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Lincolnian is correct. Harwinton is about 23 miles from Hartford and would take about 35 minutes without traffic. With traffic expect it to take at least 45 minutes. Jay

Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,826 times
It is Lewis S. Mills High School and Har-Bur Middle School and Harwinton Consolidated Elementary School. I live in Burlington and Harwinton and Burlington are the greatest places to live. We have everything you need. Everyone knows everyone and everyone is friendly. And West Hartford to Westfarms mall takes about 30 minutes by the highway. Which is pretty good. A nice quiet place, but dont be fooled, we have a lot of festivities every year that are a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut