Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,293 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am a RN in orlando, fl and plan to move to the new haven area in the next year or so. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the city of ansonia. It seems like what I'm looking for...close to new haven for work and reasonable house prices(250-275k).
I was also wondering about nursing salaries in the area. I would have 2 years experience, I have 1yr acute post partum care now and am trying to move to the OR to get one year there before relocating. I am also considering working at yale hospital. Any advise would be really helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae443 View Post
Hey everyone, I am a RN in orlando, fl and plan to move to the new haven area in the next year or so. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the city of ansonia. It seems like what I'm looking for...close to new haven for work and reasonable house prices(250-275k).
I was also wondering about nursing salaries in the area. I would have 2 years experience, I have 1yr acute post partum care now and am trying to move to the OR to get one year there before relocating. I am also considering working at yale hospital. Any advise would be really helpful. Thanks!
Rae443-

Ansonia is an old mill town that is recently seeing growth coming in from Fairfield County. There are some areas with issues, such as between Olsen Drive, Lester and High Streets. The Hilltop area across town is nice (along Pulaski Hwy) with attractive middle class neighborhoods. The schools are OK, but there are plenty of private schools in the area.

I don't know much about nursing salaries, but living in Ansonia you're right near Griffin Hospital. It is a great hospital and is year after year listed as one of the best places to work in the US.

Best Places to Work: Griffin Hospital (4) - Nursing Link

Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Rae443

I'm not sure of saleries off the top of my head, but hear is a list of quite a few hospitals in the area:
As you mentioned - 1)Yale
2)St.Rapheal's
3)Griffin
4)Waterbury Hospital
5)St. Mary's
6)Bridgeport Hospital
7)St. Vincents

Ansonia, and Derby have been having a rather aggressive turn around the last few years. The EC.Dev. teams for each town has managed to get new business into the towns; that will help the towns' overall budgets - hopefully keeping the mill rates low.

There is a less attractive side of Ansonia over by a housing project, but even that area is not really really bad.

There are plenty of lovely areas in Ansonia, Derby too.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post

There is a less attractive side of Ansonia over by a housing project, but even that area is not really really bad.
I know that i've heard that olsen drive was to be demolished. I don't know what the current status is on that plan.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I know that i've heard that olsen drive was to be demolished. I don't know what the current status is on that plan.
They demolished two buildings so far and plan on demolishing the rest by 2010. This should help Ansonia's image very much, as that one area is the only bad area in town - and gives the city as a whole a bad image.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,293 times
Default thx

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I would still love to know the RN salary up there from another nurse. Thx again!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae443 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the great info. I would still love to know the RN salary up there from another nurse. Thx again!
In the link provided above it says the average salary at Griffin is just over $68k, and I think that's even a little low for the state.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM

276 posts, read 1,459,007 times
The pay in this area for RNs is alot lower than you would think. Although I'm coming from the suburbs of NYC (about 1 hour and 15 min), so my view may be a little skewed. The salary isn't even in the ballpark for what I was making in NJ.

I just signed on at a New HAven Hospital.. DM'ing you now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut