Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:36 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times

Advertisements

Just as a point of reference, I lived in Hartford for 14 years. I don't recommend that people live there and enroll their kids in public school and I know whats good and what is bad about the city. Telling people to just not live there is close minded. There are several nice areas of the city and diverting people to the suburbs just because YOU THINK the whole city is unsafe is your opinion. Statistics don't lie and the numbers show that the west end and downtown proper are both safe areas. And I'm done with this thread. Also, since you're so keen on spelling and punctuation, there is usually a space after a period. Next....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I have to agree with UConn97. Not everyone wants to live a suburb. Living anywhere means accepting the good and the bad. Cities like Hartford offer diversity, culture and conveniences not found in the suburbs. Also the suburbs do not offer much in the way of nightlife that most young people want.

As for spelling, well I am not great at it either and I do not have the time to go back and check every word typed. Give it a break already and watch the insults. Jay

Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconSean View Post
John Starks,

Allow me to provide some unsolicited recommendations on dining in Philly (although if you are a vegetarian, these probably won't matter much to you).

The best cheesesteaks are at John's Roast Pork, which is near Target and IKEA, by Columbus Ave. The roast pork there is tremendous too. Unfortunately, I read somewhere recently that the proprietor had taken ill, so I am not sure what the status of the place is right now.

However, my favorite sandwich in the city, bar none, is the italian sausage with provolone at DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market.

Tons of great restaurants, as I am sure you know, but our favorite, by far, was Mezza Luna (8th and Catherine). Gnocchi made with ricotta cheese, rather than potato. Phenomenal. I get the gorgonzola cream sauce.

It's a small place in a residential neighborhood right on the edge of the Italian market. One of the owners, Canio, is such a nice guy, really makes you feel welcome. If you happen to go, tell him that Sean and Carolyn from Pittsburgh say hi.

We've made several food-centered trips just to stop at the Reading Market for lunch and then hit Mezza Luna for dinner.

Hope that you are enjoying Philly. I still miss it, its "warts" and all.

Regards,

Sean
sweet! i've gotta check out Mezza Luna. its pretty close to me. thanks for the tip!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 PM

36 posts, read 59,166 times
Jay, you seem to be far from impartial.Letting uconn9997 call people morons and idiots that is ok right?

what a joke

this ok though right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99
Fresh, you really have something against Hartford. Why don;t you just do something and make the city better? People like you are worthless.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM

276 posts, read 1,459,007 times
I just started a job in New Haven and was driving through the city today to get my bearings and said to myself, "This reminds me of Philadelphia, just smaller". I worked in Philadelphia a few years ago, although I've always lived in the suburbs .

I really like New Haven so far - it has an interesting vibe and alot of eclectic restaurants. The biggest difference I noticed between Philly and NH was that as far as I can see, NH lacks any truly upscale areas like Rittenhouse Square in Philly. Not a bad thing, IMO.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown6 View Post
Jay, you seem to be far from impartial.Letting uconn9997 call people morons and idiots that is ok right?

what a joke

this ok though right?

You are no longer in a New Haven classroom teaching English?

If so, that would be unfortunate, as your writing skills appear to be very well honed!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:35 PM
bxt

49 posts, read 199,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
But I imagine as a whole New Haven would be a fine fit for you if you're used to living in a city...I generally dont push people towards new haven if they want something 100% safe and with good schools (because they dont have good ones).

Wish you luck!!

What area would you suggest? I currently live in NY and have been thinking about moving to West Haven.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times
Smile new haven for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
New Haven is a totally different dynamic than Philadelphia. Philly has 1.5 million in the city alone, with 5 million+ in the metro area. New Haven just has 130k in the city, and around 650k in the metro area. So, New Haven will have much fewer "big city" problems to deal with. However, New Haven has a feeling and look of a far bigger city (in my opinion) for its size. It is a very lively city with great restaurants, tons of bars, lots of culture, and a lot of energy due to the 5 colleges/universities in town (especially Yale). There are several wonderful neighborhoods--with Westville and East Rock the best. New Haven has classic neighborhoods that evoke times of old--brick sidewalks, hardware stores, delis, etc. But, New Haven has some really bad neighborhoods also--Newhallville, The Hill, and Fair Haven are pretty run down and considered "ghetto."
Good luck with your thoughts on the move.
would like to know where some of the older entrenched neighborhoods are -with big trees and established landscaping - where the seasoned true native born Yankees live not new money interlopers parking for awhile..also what are the property taxes like? And it is possible to get an older house is such a neighbohood for around a 100 sq ft? thanks! Did I describe a palce inside New Haven or outside it?

Also are there neighborhoods in New Haven that are close to Yale that you would feel safe living in?

ANy of those mutil-family house neighborhoods get bought and rehabbed by owners back into a single?

Thanks! 12buttons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut