Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times

Advertisements

I knew it was just a matter of time before we would see this type of lunacy. A couple of years ago I went to a Carlos Santana concert at the Meadows in Hartford and after speaking almost exclusively in Spanish for some time Carlos Santana came out and started proclaiming Hartford the Spanish Capital of the Northeast. Elizabeth Horton Sheff and Mayor Perez handed him the key to the city and addressed the crowd first in Spanish and then in English.

Considering 95% of the population was not Spanish-speaking and had come to hear the classics from the 1970s that Santana was famous for producing not unheard of Spanish and African tunes that were played exclusively for the first half of the show, most people including myself headed for the door at intermission.

There is nothing wrong with the celebration of culture but to politically force-feed people a message that Hartford is more important as a Spanish-speaking capital for legal and illegal residents than it is as our state's capital is wrong.

For more information see City OKs Immigration Ordinance for an article written in the Hartford Courant.

For more of my opinion on this issue go to the UB Blog (http://www.unitebristol.blogspot.com/ - broken link).
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 AM

I suggest Connecticut residents contact their state senators and representatives as well as their US Senate and Congress officials and let them know that you don't approve of cities creating laws that promote illegal activity that circumvent existing immigration laws.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 AM

136 posts, read 763,490 times
The state representatives and US senators are busy. They are on vacation.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,118 times
I agree, it is not a good thing, especially for the positions that Hartford and New Haven are in. These cities are struggling as is. Too increase a population that is unskilled and requires more social services will only increase the tax burden on the rest of the Taxpayers of CT and drag down the economy and social standing of both cities. Entering the United States is not a right, and to have undocumented people is only going to stir up more trouble as they will be paid under the table, probably less than minimum wage, and won't pay taxes. Also, they cannot legally get drivers licences, so they are probably driving cars without a licence and without insurance, as you need to have a license to have insurance. I think the U.S. government should stop giving money to these cities if such laws are enacted. Most first world countries are trying to get their immigration under control, even neutral countries like Sweden and Switzerland wouldn't (and don't) allow such open rules.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Probably the wrong message to send. Seems they (the city council) need to wake up and realize the economy in the state while up to this point has held its own- is showing signs of slippage---this decision will not help.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
A couple of years ago I went to a Carlos Santana concert at the Meadows in Hartford and after speaking almost exclusively in Spanish for some time Carlos Santana came out and started proclaiming Hartford the Spanish Capital of the Northeast. Elizabeth Horton Sheff and Mayor Perez handed him the key to the city and addressed the crowd first in Spanish and then in English.
Who goes to a concert by a Mexican artist and gets upset to hear people speaking Spanish??????

You bought a ticket and then left at intermission!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM

136 posts, read 763,490 times
I never understood how illegal immigration in this country is treated. If you are here illegally you already broke the law and regardless of what else you did/do you are still illegal and you should be asked to leave/or deported.

And not to check for immigration status when you try to get a driver's license, social services, or enroll your kids to school, or when you try to get a job, to me that is insane. Anywhere else in the world, they would normally ask for your immigration status. And the worst mistake this country has done(Canada is in the same boat) is to allow citizenship by birth to children whose parents are here illegally(when the constitution was written they did not have 20 million illegals in this country, maybe now it should be changed). Most European countries do not allow citizenship by birth(except Ireland) even if the parents are legally in the country on some sort of temporary visa.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,118 times
The reason why both the U.S. and Canada have the "citizenship by birth" rule is because it was a way for those two countries to build their populations. I think that rule should be taken away and citizenship should only be passed down by blood from either the mother or father. If you're born in Europe you can't get citizenship unless one of the parents is from the country.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM

82 posts, read 237,455 times
If this is true ive lost all hope in Hartford. For a while it seemed to be trying to get its act together. However, inviting in illegal immigrants is a horrible mistake. The city will be further ridden with crime and poverty.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe143 View Post
If this is true ive lost all hope in Hartford. For a while it seemed to be trying to get its act together. However, inviting in illegal immigrants is a horrible mistake. The city will be further ridden with crime and poverty.
The ordinance needs to be approved by Mayor Perez. He hasn't agreed to sign it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut