Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 AM

8 posts, read 29,689 times

Advertisements

I know a really great Realtor in Fairfield Ct, if you are interested. I use to live there about 5 years ago. They will answer all of your questions. =)
Dan

Last edited by JayCT; 09-14-2008 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: No soliciting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:48 AM

18 posts, read 78,122 times
What is Bridgeport like? We didnt go down there during our visit and i haven't heard good things about it. At this point we really need to move and are wondering if we should just go to Bridgeport for a year or so while we save money and get something cheaper.

Is bridgeport dangerous? Please dont say yes if it is not, we just want the truth. We're from a very low crime little town near buffalo and it might be a huge adjustment if we go to bridgeport. how far is bridgeport from danbury during the rush hour? And do people in CT look down on you if you're from Bridgeport?

We were in seymour and mentioned Bridgeport to someone and they made a weird face and said that we don't want to go there. Really??!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyson83 View Post
At this point we really need to move and are wondering if we should just go to Bridgeport for a year or so while we save money and get something cheaper.
It would be best if you give us your revised parameters if you're looking to buy something outside of the areas(Oxford/Seymour/BF/Etc.) that you were originally directed to.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
What is Bridgeport like? We didn't go down there during our visit, and I haven't heard good things about it. At this point we really need to move and are wondering if we should just go to Bridgeport for a year or so while we save money and get something cheaper.
Bridgeport has good and bad areas as do most of Connecticut's cities (Waterbury, New Haven, and Hartford). You state that you haven't heard good things about it, what have you heard?

Quote:
Is bridgeport dangerous? Please don't say "yes" if it is not, we just want the truth. We're from a very low crime little town near Buffalo, and it might be a huge adjustment if we go to Bridgeport. How far is Bridgeport from Danbury during the rush hour? And do people in Connecticut look down on you if you're from Bridgeport?
As I mentioned above, certain areas can be dangerous if you're not street savvy of if you don't use common sense. There could be an adjustment depending on how little your town was since Bridgeport has the characteristics of a city. Would people look down on you? In my experience, yes. I say this because where I work, there are many folks from Stratford and Norwalk who feel the need to say "That's so-and-so, and (s)he lives in Bridgeport." I don't know why this is.

I am not familiar with the commute other than you would most likely take Route 8 to Route 25 to get to Danbury. Initially, it starts off as a multi-lane expressway, but that's short-lived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_25_(Connecticut)

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/expwy_CT/

Quote:
We were in Seymour and mentioned "Bridgeport" to someone, and they made a weird face and said that we don't want to go there. Really??!
See above. There are those who have a definite opinion of Bridgeport, and no one or nothing is going to change that. Talk to more people, though, for a more thorough assessment.

I agree with the other poster that you need to re-state your criteria. Just because you can afford Bridgeport doesn't mean that there aren't other options.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It would be best if you give us your revised parameters if you're looking to buy something outside of the areas(Oxford/Seymour/BF/Etc.) that you were originally directed to.
Agreed. Bridgeport is iffy - some parts are great, others are not so great. If you plan on having kids, unless the city does a complete 360 in the next 5 years (which unfortunately I don't see happening) then you don't want your kids in the Bridgeport district. Sorry if that's offensive to anyone, but someone from smalltown upstate NY probably wouldn't want their kids to attend school in the inner-city, simply due to cultural differences. The North end is decent though and you can probably find decent rents there as well. You also might want to check out New Haven - the commute to Hamden would be a breeze but to Danbury would take an hour (along Rt 34) - not much different than the Bridgeport/Danbury commute.

Still consider the Valley (Ansonia, SHelton, Derby, Seymour) since it's midpoint between Hamden and has many rentals.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Not sure what you will find in your price range on Realtor or those kind of free public websites, but I've heard there are fee based foreclosure sites that have more housing inventory to offer in the foreclosure market. The news is always reporting how many many more houses are in trouble than we know, and that there are homes in every town. So happy hunting.

Seymour is a great little town, as is Oxford, Beacon Falls, Shelton (Huntington district is awesome), Stratford, Bridgeport is good too on certain streets, but you need to look on a per street basis.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Not sure what you will find in your price range on Realtor or those kind of free public websites, but I've heard there are fee based foreclosure sites that have more housing inventory to offer in the foreclosure market. The news is always reporting how many many more houses are in trouble than we know, and that there are homes in every town. So happy hunting.

Seymour is a great little town, as is Oxford, Beacon Falls, Shelton (Huntington district is awesome), Stratford, Bridgeport is good too on certain streets, but you need to look on a per street basis.
Great suggestions. Also consider Monroe, Naugatuck, maybe even Sandy Hook. Homes in most towns mentioned here start at $300k but you *might* get lucky and find a foreclosed fixer-upper in your price range.

Southwestern Ct is expensive - maybe if you don't mind a longer commute, Wolcott, Prospect and Hamden are also decent towns on the outer fringes of SW CT.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post

Don't forget Ansonia and Derby. Both have their share of nice areas and they appear to be gaining in popularity as bedroom communities.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:10 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Don't forget Ansonia and Derby. Both have their share of nice areas and they appear to be gaining in popularity as bedroom communities.
Agreed. However, I got the impression that grayson83 wanted some land and wouldn't mind a town with a rural feel.

Of the listings of Derby and Ansonia, only 1 of 6 has a lot size of .50 acre or larger. Seymour is about 4 out of 9.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Agreed. However, I got the impression that grayson83 wanted some land and wouldn't mind a town with a rural feel.

Of the listings of Derby and Ansonia, only 1 of 6 has a lot size of .50 acre or larger. Seymour is about 4 out of 9.
It appears that his parameters may have changed as he is now inquiring about affordable cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut