Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 04:47 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,529 times

Advertisements

Having lived in CA for 42 years, moving to an area where I know next to no one seems sort of daunting. We have a 10 year old, and I know we will meet people through school, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas about other ways to meet people in this area? Are there clubs or groups that are particularly welcoming to the newcomer? We are Catholic, so the Church is an obvious spot, as is volunteer work, but what about anything else? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Well

since no one has offered any advice to a new citizen to CT- California's loss is our gain.
firstly good luck in your move east- the area you are moving I am sure will give you much in the way of peace. Life in the slow lane- no road rage, and a beautiful place to live, your blood pressure will go down- sit back on your deck in your home- look at the woods, and the large yard you will have- and make a nice gin and tonic or open a nice chilled bottle of wine- enjoy the good life in Connecticut.

Spend the day at the beach this summer- stop for some seafood, at a fine restaurant- visit a winery- see a play- enjoy the sea breeze.

Moving to a new area is a daunting task- but I feel you will find southeastern CT very pleasant. Great beaches nearby, and much more.

Meeting new people? Well the best idea I have is this; What are your interests? Theater, the arts, Gardening, sailing, cooking? How about wine tasting?

Eastern CT has Goodspeed Opera House- which will be near you- explore what they have in volunteers, clubs etc.

In Old Saybrook the new Katie Hepburn arts center is just about ready to open- another possibility.

Also in New London the Eugene O'Neill' Playhouse.
Connecticut College is nearby as well.
Gardening clubs- a big pastime of many nutmeggers- lots of gardening clubs.
Sailing clubs on LI and Block Island sound.

Antiques- a big following. Wineries- several in eastern Connecticut- wine tasting clubs.

Cooking clubs and classes- great way to meet new folks and hon up on your culinary abilities.

The Church yes- and others from beyond that.

As far as 'Blood Street' Nice area- I know where it is- I would feel secure living there- I cannot offer more definitive information however- not far from New London- shopping at Crystal Mall. Ocean Beach is very pleasant from May to September.

Hope this is a beginning.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:14 PM

skytrekker - thanks for the response! I had to laugh when you questioned my interests...it's been so long since I thought about what I like to do, I think I forgot! Kids have been the major focus for a number of years, but we are moving beyond now, so I do need to actually think about what I might like to pursue. All the ideas that you suggested were good ones, and I thank you for taking the time. If all I do is sit on the deck and enjoy the quiet, I will have achieved my goal! The move cannot come soon enough as far as that goes...

Old 03-06-2007, 04:40 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Dougnaie

We have another soon to be Californian moving to the state from LA area- in mid March- accepted a position- and wanted to buy a house with a yard he could afford- will likely be in the Hartford area- check back on the CT Forum.

Good luck! Check out this site on wineries in eastern CT
There are quite a few

http://www.ctwine.com/eastern_trail.htm (broken link)

Also since you will be nearby- ride the Essex Valley Railroad in town-very charming- they also have a Witch Hazel factory nearby.
Ivoryton is home to the Copper Beech Inn & Restaurant rated 4 stars
nice place to stay and have a romantic weekend or dinner.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,444 times
Connecticut is an area where you have to take an initiative to make friends. Lived here for 40 years. I think a good way to meet people is through organization or hobby clubs. We have plenty of them, but you have to take the initiative and find them. We have a lot of Californians moving to the Farmington Valley, and I think outside of the weather...its probably an easier move (sans weather change) for the Californians coming to the Northeast. Maybe its because so many of us went the other way..cross pollinization ;P

Old 03-06-2007, 05:24 PM

JiminCT -

That's funny! Good insight about having to take the initiative to make friends..I will keep it in mind that more effort may be required there than here - here it is fairly easy, or maybe it just seems that way because I haved lived here as long as you have lived there. You may be seeing an onslaught of Californians due to the huge increase in the density of our state...even snow seems preferable! I look forward to the change.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,444 times
Just keep it real out here and you'll do just fine. Essex and the Lymes have a big contingent of folks who moved there from bigger areas (lots of NYC area...). Because of the woods and the really lush green...it feels much more country than it may really be. Lots of folks do the commute to Hartford and New Haven from those areas. Its a really good lifestyle...they even make wine in that area to boot! Close to the urban world if you need it. You can even take the train to Gotham via Amtrack or Shoreline East.

New England is a good thing.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 AM

48 posts, read 228,534 times
New Haven has its share of clubs / bars. Also if you have friendly neighbors. Or even just being friendly at work can land you some friends. Additionally the INTERNET always works!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 28,465 times
Welcome to Ct. You can try Meetup.com. I found a nice mom's group there that meets once a week for playdates with the kids. They also have mom's night out once a month and many family events. I sure there is a group in your area. Your local library is also a good place to meet people/families.
Good luck!
Sharlene

Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 PM

41 posts, read 127,892 times
You can see if there is a newcomers club in your area at www.newcomersclub.com. We have one in our town and there are so many fun things to do.

I also second meetup.com.

Welcome to CT!

Also make sure to introduce yourself to moms when you are at your daugter's activities.

Remember it takes time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut