Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 AM

132 posts, read 331,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Don't worry, topos ARE allowed. If they weren't I would not be Moderator of this Board. I always make them. I remember there being a discussion on one Board I frequent (I don't think it was this one) about allowing typos or not. It was such a useless discussion. Typos happen, so what? Have a good day, Jay
Thanks, Jay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 16,156 times
So if out of 10 people 4 have finished grad school and make over $200,000 a year, and 4 did not finish high school and make the min wage, does it make them all in average educated and affluent?
If I buy one chicken and you don't have money to buy one, does it mean that we buy in average 1/2 chicken? Explain that to your kids when you don't have food for them.

ABout only dealing with kids, what I've noticed is that even kids in CT grow up and become adult sales people and most of them keep the same bad attitude.

What part of Customer Service is not clear? Where did that come from?

To me it means serving the customers, not being obnoxious towards them.

And no, I am not looking to become friends with them. All I would expect is them to be properly coached in such a way they make themselves available and willing to assist customers.

Where did that old smiley face botton come from? Why so many miserable faces at the other side of the counter? Yes. I understand many customers can be a pain in the neck, but don't businesses depend on them, even if they bring into the store their road rage? But that is another topic... how fast people drive when entering parking lots...

I am sorry so many of you feel offended. I think you just got used to it and that's why many people who live in CT comment how friendly people are in other places, even in the same East Coast.

Enjoy your shopping experience!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacustomer View Post
So if out of 10 people 4 have finished grad school and make over $200,000 a year, and 4 did not finish high school and make the min wage, does it make them all in average educated and affluent?
If I buy one chicken and you don't have money to buy one, does it mean that we buy in average 1/2 chicken? Explain that to your kids when you don't have food for them.

ABout only dealing with kids, what I've noticed is that even kids in CT grow up and become adult sales people and most of them keep the same bad attitude.

And no, I am not looking to become friends with them. All I would expect is them to be properly coached in such a way they make themselves available and willing to assist customers.

Where did that old smiley face botton come from? Why so many miserable faces at the other side of the counter? Yes. I understand many customers can be a pain in the neck, but don't businesses depend on them, even if they bring into the store their road rage? But that is another topic... how fast people drive when entering parking lots...

I am sorry so many of you feel offended. I think you just got used to it and that's why many people who live in CT comment how friendly people are in other places, even in the same East Coast.

Your entire rants is based on the constant that you think to be true.

What if you're wrong?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

132 posts, read 331,685 times
Quote:

I am from Georgia (accent and all) and customer service is not bad compared to Atlanta. I am not used to CT yet, so what part of this can you not comprehend?

It is not a CT thing, it is an American thing. Where are you from?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Most companies have stopped "the customer is always right" slogan because too many people were in line looking for a handout.

You'd really prefer an obnoxiously energetic and fake-happy associate? Not me.

Have you ever worked in retail?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 AM

893 posts, read 792,119 times
May I ask a question? If being polite and helpful is soooooo wrong and fake why did Macys have all their sales people at Christmas time saying nice things as we walked in their doors? They smiled and said, welcome can I help you with anything and so on . Something I'd never heard them say to me before, let alone look me in the eye. That is how you are greeted all the other places I've lived because it's the correct way to handle business. It must be right or they wouldn't of told their employees to be "nice". I don't want to be attacked for my observation since I am just stating what I saw at Danbury Fair Mall.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
May I ask a question? If being polite and helpful is soooooo wrong and fake why did Macys have all their sales people at Christmas time saying nice things as we walked in their doors? They smiled and said, welcome can I help you with anything and so on . Something I'd never heard them say to me before, let alone look me in the eye. That is how you are greeted all the other places I've lived because it's the correct way to handle business. It must be right or they wouldn't of told their employees to be "nice". I don't want to be attacked for my observation since I am just stating what I saw at Danbury Fair Mall.
I don't think anyone says normal pleasant people are a bad thing. What we are saying is, when it comes down to crunch time, and you have a line of 20 people...I'd rather someone with their nose down, getting me out of the store then a chatty Kathy holding up the line for no good reason other than "being nice".

But, the reality is a lot of younger folks North/South/West/East whatever are not willing to do the work they used to. A lot of them frankly are spoiled and think "this sucks...why do *I* have to work here" and their attitude reflects that.

It's not a regional thing. I've seen it all over the country. It's cultural problem.

What I appreciate is folks here know how to hustle more so then other places in the country...sometimes that means a quick "grin" and they are scanning items within 2 seconds. I'm okay with that. Sometimes when I'm focused on getting the job done, I wish folks would leave me alone to work. We can talk afterwards.

The flipside is the "overly helpful" folks I see in places like Best Buy. I just want to tell them "you are the 4th person in 1 minute to ask me if I need anything...leave me alone so I can browse and finish a sentence to my wife! I'll find you when I need you". Of course then they are busy when I need them. lol

Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,580,127 times
I agree with JV - i would rather have someone get me out of the store than have a long conversation with them. A simple hello or thanks is all I need. If anything I find the clerks who try too hard a bit overbearing and annoying. Some people just don't have any common sense either. My wife once asked me to pick something up for her at the pharmacy (some hair product) that was ridiculously expensive and when I was checking out the clerk couldn't believe i was spending that much on that product and yadda, yadda, blah, blah. All i wanted to do was get the hell out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut