Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 31,301 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband is currently in the military. We are considering moving to CT based on the public education system there. We have a baby boy and when DH gets out we want him to get the best education possible. I will be teaching elementary and my husband will also be a teacher. My question is: Where should we consider moving in CT? It must, must have excellent schools, but housing costs can't be outrageous. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,578,618 times
Well, for housing affordability I would look possibly in Hartford County. I think we would need more info - like what do you consider outrageous for housing costs?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,507 times
Will he be retiring? Would you want to be close to MTF's or a commissary? If so, I would look at towns outside of New London Sub Base such as Madison, or Danbury (West Point) such as Bethel, New Fairfield. If you don't need to be near a base, then your options are greater.

Unfortunately, a lot of the towns with the best school systems are very expensive. Darien, New Canaan, Westport, Wilton, Weston, Greenwich etc. have top schools and million dollar housing. There are a lot of great schools districts all over the state where housing is less expensive.

What is your budget? What additional amenities are you looking for in a town?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,100 times
best school systems = high cost housing....sorry.

But if you can afford 350K and upwards you could find something in Avon, Simsbury or west Hartford.. but just know you wont get as much house for your money as in other places of the country

Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
There are many nice towns with very good to excellent schools here in Connecticut. It all depends on what you want. It will take a bit more information to determine where would be best for you.

You should first kind of figure out which metropolitan area you want. If you want to be near the shore, the New Haven area would be best. Towns along the coast are a bit pricer but you can find some reasonable homes in towns like Branford, Guilford and even Madison. Other possiblities include Milford, North Haven and Wallingford.

Hartford is a great area too. It has many wonderful suburbs to live in. The top towns for schools are Avon, Simsbury, Farmington, West Hartford and Glastonbury. These are upscale towns and a bit pricey but generally have at least some reasonable priced homes available. Other towns to consider are Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, Newington and South Windsor.

The links below will give you information on the schools in different towns in the state. Generally I look for towns that perform above the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests. I also look for towns with class sizes around 20 students or less. I hope this helps. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 17,112 times
You may want to consider Tolland County. It's not metro, but there are some very good schools in many towns here, and housing costs are very reasonable. You can find decent entry level housing in the 200 k range.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM

103 posts, read 428,014 times
Connecticut may be a small state but there are 169 more or less distinct towns, where the quality of schools and price of housing varies significantly. Median home sales price ranges from about $190,000 in Windham County to $575,000 in Fairfield County.

Based on your likely combined income, I'd guess you're looking at spending no more than $300,000. In the Greater Hartford area, look at West Hartford, S Windsor and Newington - you'll get more value for your housing dollar in Newington but West Hartford has the best schools in the area.

JayCT also made some suggestions and those towns have great schools but finding a house under $300,000 will be much more difficult - not impossible but harder.

Other things to consider - small town, suburb or city? Do you want a lot of activities, restaurants, nearby? Where will you be working and how far will you be willing to commute? Do you need to be near anything (beach, family, church, shopping,etc). What size house would you want?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minna View Post
You may want to consider Tolland County. It's not metro, but there are some very good schools in many towns here, and housing costs are very reasonable. You can find decent entry level housing in the 200 k range.
But it IS part of the Hartford Metro.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM

8 posts, read 31,301 times
I'm guessing 300k sounds about right. We're not looking for anything big, a 2 - 3 bedroom maybe. I really like the sound of glastonbury right now. What's around there?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 AM

154 posts, read 802,334 times
Glastonbury is a pretty expensive area to live but it does have some of the best schools around. Depending on what you are looking for you can probably find a house for around 300K-400K. I included Glastonbury in my recent home search but have been unable to find a decent 3BR 2.5BA home there for under $350K.

It's a really nice area with some good shopping however being on the "other side of the river" makes it slightly more inaccessible to parts of Western CT, which you may not care about. The North parts of Glastonbury are much more highway accessible than the South which would require a drive to get to route 3 or cross the portland bridge to get to route 9.

East of Glastonbury it gets very rural with good outdoor activities such as hiking and state parks.

West across the river you have Wethersfield which has a nice old area with a large kids park and some decent shopping along the Silistine Hwy.

I would say the further you go North the less desireable the areas in general, mostly due to the proximity of East Hartford and Manchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut