Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2023, 09:00 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut203 View Post
Interestingly, when you look at the Stamford skyline, everything East of Landmark is low rising and from late 70's & 80's...everything West of Landmark is New and taller.
Not everything. I can think of two residential highrises on Forest Street that were built after the 80's and they are east of Landmark Square. One of the buildings has a post-modern style that actually distinguish it from most other highrises. I think it looks nice and could be the ritziest residential highrise in the city. I think those buildings were built in this century instead of the 20th. While not overpowering, they are visible on the skyline.

It's true that most of the newer taller highrises tend to be west of Landmark Square, though I think only three could be taller than Landmark: Parc Place (a previous Trump) and the couple of all glass highrises by the corner of Tresser Blvd and Atlantic St. All other highrises don't appear to be as tall or taller than Landmark.

I also think the hospital highrise is not as tall as the Landmark, but that one sits on top of a hill and that might make it one of the highrises with the most panoramic views of downtown. Due to being on a hill is the reason it can be seen from Main St/Columbus Park and the UConn campus area.

I think the reason most of the newer highrises (all residential) are west of Landmark is due to most restaurants/bars/nighlife in downtown revolves around Bedford St, Atlantic St, Main St & Columbus Park area, and the southern clip of Summer St. Residential developers seem to want to capitalize on the walkability between their new residential highrises and these places. East of Landmark is pretty dead regarding restaurants/bars/nightlife. I think most in that area are concentrated in the Stamford Town Center mall, particularly on its southern side. If an effort is made to further develop the restaurants/bars/nightlife scene on the eastern part of downtown, the area could see a boom of new tall residental highrises, particularly if the city can support a new restaurant/bars/nightlife area in downtown. That might also result in more tax revenue for the city's government.

On another hand, why the median of Tresser Boulevard has been allowed to deteriorate? That is ridiculous. The city government needs to fix that, maybe add a new line of trees where possible too. I think that's the most embarrasing median of any avenue in Stamford and that has to be one of the most used by visitors as they are driving into downtown from I-95 or to the highway from downtown. What makes this worse is that the city's Government Center is on the corner of Tresser blvd and Washington Blvd. It is a hard pill to swallow to think the mayor hasn't seen the deplorable condition of the median, particularly the part in front of the Stamford Town Center. That is easily one of the nicest looking avenues in the city and the condition of the median ruins it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 09:26 AM

In Google Street View can be seen how bad looks the median of Tresser Blvd. Horrible and they don't fix it!!

Another median that looks unacceptable is where High Ridge Road meets Summer St.

Plus the median on Cold Spring Road between Long Ridge and High Ridge Roads many times looks abandoned. If they will not take care of the grass/weeds as often as necessary to make it look presentable, then cover it up with those bricks used on sone of the sidewalks in downtown. Something needs to be done about this.

There are probably a few more I forget at the moment.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:12 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In Google Street View can be seen how bad looks the median of Tresser Blvd. Horrible and they don't fix it!!

Another median that looks unacceptable is where High Ridge Road meets Summer St.

Plus the median on Cold Spring Road between Long Ridge and High Ridge Roads many times looks abandoned. If they will not take care of the grass/weeds as often as necessary to make it look presentable, then cover it up with those bricks used on sone of the sidewalks in downtown. Something needs to be done about this.

There are probably a few more I forget at the moment.
Note that Tresser Boulevard is Route 1 so it’s maintained by the state. Contact your State Representative about its condition. Include photos if you have them. Jay

Old 08-28-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamfordRez View Post
I called - the Greenwich Ave circulator/roundabout project goes for bid in July and should start in September. It will take 1-2 years to complete. The project manager for the city is Garrett Bolella (203)-977-1126. I didn’t speak to him - someone could call for more details.
Unbelievable that your post is from April 2019 and now the area appears to be intervene for the construction of the roundabout. Better late than never, but this is too much. Fingers crossed fin¡shing doesn't takes another 4 years. Yikes!

On the bright side, the curbs appear will be of the nice granite types as seen in many streets in Greenwich. The area has many of these granite stones laying around. Very nice. Makes up a little bit for the long wait. If I remember correctly, this roundabout is suppose to have a fountain?

Btw, better to avoid that area during rush hours. It's a mess and traffic was slow. I can only imagine how bad it becomes when normal traffic becomes heavy.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:13 AM

59 posts, read 72,831 times
Quote:
Unbelievable that your post is from April 2019 and now the area appears to be intervene for the construction of the roundabout. Better late than never, but this is too much. Fingers crossed fin¡shing doesn't takes another 4 years. Yikes!
Hahaha impressive finding that old post. Seeing as they put up the temporary bypass road in a week flat, maybe they can do the roundabout in just 1-2 seasons.

I’m surprised they’re doing this at the same time as the new skywalk from the train station to the new parking garage, which necessitates the closing of Washington Boulevard. It’s a long detour when both are going at once.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
In Darien, the old Bank of America office building is almost entirely demolished now- really a strange sight to see downtown without that building in between it and I95.
Funny. The other day while I went to the Siena restaurant which is very close across the street, I noticed the building is not there anymore, but I quickly got over that. I think Darien will win by getting rid of that eyesore and putting something nice in its place. Getting rid of the gas station at the corner close to there and putting in its place the brick building there is now was a good move, IMO.

I also noticed that the shopping center that stretches to the corner right across the street from the restaurant (and I think went all the way to the office building now demolished) is fenced. Could it be a sign it too will too go? Is it all part of whatever is suppose to replace the office building encompassing that entire side from the exit of I-95 to the corner?

Old 09-01-2023, 09:52 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Funny. The other day while I went to the Siena restaurant which is very close across the street, I noticed the building is not there anymore, but I quickly got over that. I think Darien will win by getting rid of that eyesore and putting something nice in its place. Getting rid of the gas station at the corner close to there and putting in its place the brick building there is now was a good move, IMO.

I also noticed that the shopping center that stretches to the corner right across the street from the restaurant (and I think went all the way to the office building now demolished) is fenced. Could it be a sign it too will too go? Is it all part of whatever is suppose to replace the office building encompassing that entire side from the exit of I-95 to the corner?
What you are seeing is the construction of The Corbin District, a large mixed use development. Below is a link to their website. Jay

https://thecorbindistrict.com/

Old 09-01-2023, 09:58 AM

69 posts, read 57,819 times
Looks like there is a proposal for East side to get a urban park under I95 underpass and a greenpath from there connecting Mill river park at the train station.

”””A local developer and nonprofit are taking the community's temperature about a project that could spruce up the city's East Side neighborhood.

Wellbuilt Company, a Greenwich-based developer with a growing footprint in Stamford, announced it is exploring plans to build two major new public amenities serving the East Side. One would be an urban park below the Interstate 95 underpass at Lafayette Street and North State Street. The other is a green path for bikers and walkers which would connect the neighborhood to downtown Stamford and the Stamford Transportation Center.

”We have a huge opportunity down here at the East Main and State Street site that's currently being neglected and overgrown,” said Mitch Kidd, Wellbuilt Company co-founder. ”Why not take an opportunity to see if we can turn it into something that would be useful for the community as a whole?”

The underpass park idea came up in a conversation with Rep. James Grunberger, D-18. Grunberger is the co-founder and chairman of the East Side Partnership, a community development nonprofit that is teaming up with Wellbuilt on the project.
”””

Old 09-07-2023, 02:03 PM

This one doesn't have much to do with construction (maybe it does, a new bridge could be planned as a replacement), but what is the case with the Main Street Bridge in Stamford? That bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic for years and pedestrian traffic is limited to a "new" pathway along the middle of the bridge.

Does the bridge needs reinforcements? Is the bridge done and the city doesn't want to destroy it for whatever reason? Will it be replaced with a new bridge? If a new bridge is in store, will it have the sane or similar architectural design as the current one.

It's kind of ridiculous for the bridge to continue in the state it is in.

This bridge has the most unique design of all the bridges in Stamford. In fact, there may not be a bridge with this designed in all of Connecticut. When was this bridge built?

A photo printscreens from Google Earth and Google Street View.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:44 PM

59 posts, read 72,831 times
There is some debate as to whether it should be a pedestrian bridge (mayor, mainstream politicians) or a vehicular bridge (progressive politicians) and this has continuously delayed the bridge’s rehabilitation, to the point where some federal grants actually expired unused if I recall correctly. It’s a shame - I can’t see why anyone cares what type of bridge it is and why it’s become a wedge issue, but here we are. They are building a temporary pedestrian span next to the bridge because it’s not even safe to walk on anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut