Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 07:52 AM

59 posts, read 72,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet.flame4221 View Post
I haven't seen anyone post about this yet so...

The new transit garage was officially opened a few days ago. Has anybody used it yet? Where do you enter with your car - off Washington Blvd?
I am currently parked in it!!!

Enter east from south state street or south from Washington boulevard.

Nobody knows about it yet so tons of empty spots and same prices / same management as the old station (monthly passes work at both!). Extremely quick to get onto track 5 from the 2nd floor. Haven’t used the sky bridge yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 08:39 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StamfordRez View Post
I am currently parked in it!!!

Enter east from south state street or south from Washington boulevard.

Nobody knows about it yet so tons of empty spots and same prices / same management as the old station (monthly passes work at both!). Extremely quick to get onto track 5 from the 2nd floor. Haven’t used the sky bridge yet.
Is it still cash only?

Old 02-28-2024, 08:43 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
A few more works in Stamford according to The Advocate.

I never thought of that area as “North Stamford,” more like Turn of River. I always thought North Stamford was everything north of the Merritt Parkway.

Reopening North Stamford's Cedar Heights Road bridge delayed again: 'An extremely complex process'

So all the abandoned buildings in Manhattan St has been demolished.

Stamford group wants city to close piece of Garden Street to make it more attractive to developers

Stamford train station's new parking garage finally opens: 'A long time coming'

I think there was a bank there. It would had been better if it was a Donut Delight with drive-thru, IMO. Oh well, Dunkin’s watery coffee is ok too. Lol At least some or all of Stamford Dunkin’s are owned by a local family from New Canaan.

‘American dream:’ Family-owned business opens new Dunkin’ store in Stamford

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-28-2024 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-28-2024, 08:43 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Even more reason to build then. Either that demand bids up the prices of existing rentals or it goes into the new buildings which relieves pressure on existing stock. More people, more restaurants, more tax base, more amenities. Stamford has never been such a great place to live and more people than ever are taking advantage of that. I bet prices on existing rentals in Stamford have risen a lot more slowly than in cities and towns around nyc that didn’t build as fast.
Oh i agree, but its also a group effort. We need way more housing to be built in NJ/NYC/LI/Westchester/FFC too. Stamford and Jersey City seem to be the only cities around NYC building a very significant amount of housing relative to their existing housing stock.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Is it still cash only?
Nope they take credit cards at the exit gates (which are not manned).

Q: How can I pay for parking?
A: Cash and credit cards are accepted at the pay-on-foot stations located on Level 2 and Level 4. You can only pay by credit card at the exit pay station gate, no cash accepted.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Oh i agree, but its also a group effort. We need way more housing to be built in NJ/NYC/LI/Westchester/FFC too. Stamford and Jersey City seem to be the only cities around NYC building a very significant amount of housing relative to their existing housing stock.
Yeah it would be good to do YIMBY reform at the state or federal level, as the benefits would be even greater. But every little bit helps! Gotta change those minds too.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:27 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The underwhelming Jackie Robinson Park. The nicest thing there is that statue of Jackie Robinson which in my opinion is too small and not impressive enough. Most people that deive through there have probably never noticed the statue. SMH

I also think the city could improve and or see further development of the arts/culture if it requires from many of these developers that they must include a new sculpture near or on the front sidewalk facing the street or create new parks or improve existing ones. It would be nice if the triangle Jackie Robinson Park would be redesigned which includes a larger statue of Jackie Robinson and perhaps add a few large signs with blackand-white pictures of him explaining the main aspects of Jackie Robinson’s life, that he did called Stamford home and that he did great things like break the color barrier in the MLB. No question this was very important for, among other things, allow the presence and success of several Dominicans in the MLB. The Jackie Robinson Park should be a greater point of interest. As it’s right now it leads to disappointment. Heck, that stretch of West Main St even have the Jackie Robinson Way additional name. I think that route should have more that distinguish it and give more of a Jackie Robinson theme rather than just the name and nothing else.

Many other municipalities have tried improving parks in poor areas, but with not very good results. For example Seaside park in Bridgeport. Some parks in Stamford are even worse --

- Cove Island Park has gotten progressively worse in the last 2-3 years since I have been in Stamford. I don't bother anymore going there.

- Go to the end of Cummings Park -- I have seen better parks in 3rd world countries.

If people trash the parks, I wouldn't repair them either.

Many people confuse Stamford with Bedford St and Columbus Park stretch. Stamford's underbelly is still pretty rough. The only real walkable little park is Harborside waterfront. And don't bother with Kosciuszko Park down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yonkers and New Rochelle have also built housing. But outside of some isolated blocks, all these cities remain pretty rough.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:51 AM

809 posts, read 467,948 times
Quote:
Yeah it would be good to do YIMBY reform at the state or federal level, as the benefits would be even greater. But every little bit helps! Gotta change those minds too.
Luckily on a local level, Norwalk government is pretty pro-housing and setting the tone for CT on how to do this in a way that complements existing neighborhood layouts. Nice multi-family complexes have been growing at a steady clip in SoNo, East Norwalk, Norwalk Center, and Merritt 7. It's also cool that Norwalk typically has design guidelines too that create some aesthetic without delaying building (a nice balance).

Stamford should look at its sister city just about next door on how to think about residential and retail urban development.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:26 AM

6,887 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Luckily on a local level, Norwalk government is pretty pro-housing and setting the tone for CT on how to do this in a way that complements existing neighborhood layouts. Nice multi-family complexes have been growing at a steady clip in SoNo, East Norwalk, Norwalk Center, and Merritt 7. It's also cool that Norwalk typically has design guidelines too that create some aesthetic without delaying building (a nice balance).

Stamford should look at its sister city just about next door on how to think about residential and retail urban development.
Norwalk has outshined and now lapping Stamford in development and clean up aesthetics by bounds and measures it's not even close.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:07 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Many other municipalities have tried improving parks in poor areas, but with not very good results. For example Seaside park in Bridgeport. Some parks in Stamford are even worse --
I think the poor areas of Bridgeport aren’t comparable with Stamford’s. That’s not taking into account the level of insecurity which is considerably worse in Bridgeport and in general size of these areas. I have heard of some people that moved to Bridgeport and shortly after they end up moving back to Stamford. Crazy is how they describe Bridgeport and usually return due to things like several break ins in their homes and such. The things that seem to happen on a more frequent basis in Bridgeport makes it seem that city is in another country. I can’t get over what is said that once a Bridgeport mayor was caught taking drugs (crack or something like that) in the mayor’s office! How can that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10
- Cove Island Park has gotten progressively worse in the last 2-3 years since I have been in Stamford. I don't bother anymore going there.
Cove Island Park isn’t in a poor area and that park isn’t in bad shape. The only things I have seen wrong with that park is the dirt walking trail in the area by the beach is invaded by the sand of the beach and hasn’t been corrected and when it rains flooding happens in certain areas of the paved walkway (the bike lanes are unusuable in those stretches because they are completely underwater.) Other than those two things, never thought any other aspects of that park was an issue.

Quote:
- Go to the end of Cummings Park -- I have seen better parks in 3rd world countries.
This park I don’t think is bad at all, though I don’t visit much this place (visiting as in getting out of the car, because I do drive through there as a shortcut if going from Shippan Ave to Cove Road south of the Chelsea Piers/NBC Sports area or vice versa or even from Shippan Ave to Cove Road near Saint Benedicts Church or vice versa.) The three things I definitely don’t like are (1) the right parking lot in the beach area needs a new coat of asphalt, (2) some floodings occur when it rains where the beach access road meets the other two right where there is the reddish sign of Cummings Beach and (3) when dark the lighting in the beach area don’t turn on until a while after it has become dark. I don’t know what’s that about (the city trying to cut back on its electricity bill?), but the beach area always has a nice amount of people at least in the parked vehicles. The extended period when there is no lighting could be a safety issue. Either the beach area needs to be closed before it becomes dark or the lights need to turn on while its getting dark (not once its dark and much less a while after its dark as is currently the case.) The US can be anything, but 3rd World isn’t one of them.

Quote:
If people trash the parks, I wouldn't repair them either.
The seaside park that really needs an intervention is Kasciousko Park regarding its lighting. Many have been broken for years and I don’t think any have the solar panels they once did. Many light poles are missing too. Sone of the signge alao needs replacements (they have been vandalized with grafittis) and I think sone of the benches are still in need of replacement.

They do give some maintenance to the park. The parking area is the dirt/gravel kind and deep holes form several times during the year due to the effect of the rain plus vehicles passing over them. Periodically they are repaired which makes driving through that parking lot less bumpy. Driving through that parking lot sometimes reminds me of the times I have driven on dirt roads in other countries. I have also driven on dirt roads in the US, but these are luxury dirt roads compared to some I driven in other places. The only positive is that you either go slow or destroy your car, take your pick.

Quote:
Many people confuse Stamford with Bedford St and Columbus Park stretch. Stamford's underbelly is still pretty rough.
Much of Stamford is suburbanish and not poor or even rundown. I wouldn’t equate some of the neighborhoods near downtown such as the West Side as the typical Stamford (though those areas could be in the image out-of-towners have of Stamford since all they know of Stamford is the downtown and then those neighborhoods which may signal to them as no go areas thinking they are equivslent to similar neighborhoods in Bridgeport -they aren’t-.) I’ll say maybe 70-80% of Stamford don’t look like those areas by any stretch.

Stamford is also not particularly a dangerous city. Can’t really say the same of places like Bridgeport or even parts of New Haven, Hartford and a few others. A similar thing happens going to New York. The “real ghettoes” are found in places like Mount Vernon or Yonkers.

Quote:
The only real walkable little park is Harborside waterfront.
I don’t find that to be true.

For one thing, the Harbor Point Boardwalk I think is one of the best additions to the city. Except on cold nights, it has a nice amount of pedestrians, usually people that live in the various Harbor Point highrises.

The dog park created by Harbor Point always seems to have a good number of people (and as expected dogs) as is the Commons Park they built. Kasciousko Park (despite its lighting issue) and Cove Island Parks often have decent amount of people walking about. Those two parks are also used by many as jogging/speed walking/excercise walking venues. The amount of people that visit Cove Island Park as soon it gets warm is insane!

Scalzi Park is another that receives a decent amount of visitors and at times in the warmer months it gets an insane amount. One thing I complain about Scalzi is that the lights on the walking/jogging paved trail are not turn on at night. I don’t know what that is about. Sone areas do get quite dark as they aren’t lighted by the street lights around the circle.

I have been surprised with the amount of people in Lione Park near Stamford Hospital well into the night. If the area was truly dangerous, that would never happen.

In downtown tiny Latham Park near Avon Theater every evening and nights during the warmer months has a very good amount of people.

Scofield Park in North Stamford gets a nice amount of visitors though nothing like in Scalzi, Kasciousko or Cove Island among others.

Stamford parks are quite lively with visitors even during the evening/nights. The exception are during the colder days and nights for obvious reasons.

Quote:
And don't bother with Kosciuszko Park down the road.
Not doing so means not noticing the large amount of people that frequent the park, particularly during the warmer months.

Quote:
Yonkers and New Rochelle have also built housing. But outside of some isolated blocks, all these cities remain pretty rough.
Those cities are on a different level than Stamford, though New Rochelle seems the least bad of the three in lower Westchester (adding Mount Vernon to the mix.) Can’t pay me enough to go back to Mount Vernon or Yonkers and that’s despite both cities have some nice suburbanish areas. Granted, it has been many years since I went to them, maybe they have changed since then but I doubt it.

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-29-2024 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut