Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsHollow View Post
They may be a little too far for our taste, but I'd like to take a look at them. Does either have a meaningful town center? The available real estate seems saturated with recent construction. Is that pretty typical?
No town centers in either one. They're extremely nice towns, but they're not suitable for you, given your specific parameters(i.e.: Housing cost/Political Affiliations/Diversity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Thanks, Jay. By best shopping are you talking box stores, or does it also have interesting independents?

I see that there's a Whole Foods opening in Milford later this year, which would be useful to us. Anyone know about any good non-WF natural food stores in the New Haven area? Any good CSAs?
Both. There are tons of small stores along the Post Road (Route 1) and there are most of the big stores as well. Pretty much a wide range of goods and services offered. I don't know about non-WF natural food stores but I would be very surprised if there weren't. Jay

PS - What are CSAs?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
If you choose Milford then the best natural food store in the area is Nature's Way Health Foods, on Barnum Ave in Stratford. They always have everything you'd need, and if you're confused about vitamins, minerals, want to talk symptoms, whatever... then they always have a natural nutritionist there to talk, plus they've got all the organic cleaners, personal items, toothpaste, soap, make up etc. The Post Rd in Milford becomes Barnum Ave in Stratford, so no need to have directions, just stay straight and your're there.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM

17 posts, read 76,463 times
I think you will find the most progressive, liberal environment in New Haven and the surrounding towns. Whitneyville and Spring Glen in Hamden seem liberal and livable. I also like the southern part of Ridge Road area of North Haven/Hamden. Nice neighborhoods. I am assuming you arent going to have your kids go to private school so if you want the best public schools in the area then I believe Guilford, Cheshire, Madison, Orange and Woodbridge are up there in quality but not diversity. I have a friend who absolutely loves Bethany. Re: natural food stores, Hamden has one called Thyme and Season and New Haven has a fairly well stocked one called Edge of the Woods. I believe housing prices are falling here and if you dont want a fancy house you can find a 3 bedroom for under $400K almost everywhere. Think about renting a house at first and getting to know the area esp as prices still seem to be falling.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 AM

428 posts, read 832,124 times
Quote:
Thanks, Jay. By best shopping are you talking box stores, or does it also have interesting independents?

I see that there's a Whole Foods opening in Milford later this year, which would be useful to us. Anyone know about any good non-WF natural food stores in the New Haven area? Any good CSAs?
Not sure how Jay comes to the conclusion that Milford offers better shopping than New Haven. I don't think it is even close.
Yes, New haven has an independent natural food store, not sure of its name to be honest. It is on Whalley Ave. and is pretty nice.

Personally I'd prefer a nice neighborhood in New Haven to Milford. Milford's schools aren't particularly good and it is a rather unattractive town, not to mention bland as it can be. The area around Science Hill in NH is quite nice and eligible for the Yale home buyers programs, Westville also has some pretty nice areas. Drive around New Haven and see if anything strikes your fancy.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 38,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
No town centers in either one. They're extremely nice towns, but they're not suitable for you, given your specific parameters(i.e.: Housing cost/Political Affiliations/Diversity).
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Both. There are tons of small stores along the Post Road (Route 1) and there are most of the big stores as well. Pretty much a wide range of goods and services offered. I don't know about non-WF natural food stores but I would be very surprised if there weren't. Jay

PS - What are CSAs?
CSA=community supported agriculture, meaning local farms where you can sign up to get a regular share of produce/meat during the season. You generally pay in advance, thus making it easier for small farmers to fund their early season costs.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maak1 View Post
I think you will find the most progressive, liberal environment in New Haven and the surrounding towns. Whitneyville and Spring Glen in Hamden seem liberal and livable. I also like the southern part of Ridge Road area of North Haven/Hamden. Nice neighborhoods. I am assuming you arent going to have your kids go to private school so if you want the best public schools in the area then I believe Guilford, Cheshire, Madison, Orange and Woodbridge are up there in quality but not diversity. I have a friend who absolutely loves Bethany. Re: natural food stores, Hamden has one called Thyme and Season and New Haven has a fairly well stocked one called Edge of the Woods. I believe housing prices are falling here and if you dont want a fancy house you can find a 3 bedroom for under $400K almost everywhere. Think about renting a house at first and getting to know the area esp as prices still seem to be falling.
Very good advice. Thank you! We're getting set up with a realtor to take a good look around, which is clearly the next step for us. There's only so much you can do from afar to get the feel of a place. The schools issue is making it so tricky. We don't want to (and can't afford to) do private school, but we're finicky about schools.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I find all of it useful.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Not sure how Jay comes to the conclusion that Milford offers better shopping than New Haven. I don't think it is even close.
Milford has most of the stores that the typical American shopper is looking for. There is Macy's, J.C. Penney's, Target, Walmart and many of the major national chain stores. In addtion there are a lot of small independent stores as well as several large supermarkets. New Haven has many small independent stores and shops but lacks the large national stores and only has a couple of supermarkets. It does have IKEA though which is a big draw now. I know people that commonly travel to Milford to shop since there is so much in one area. Except for IKEA, I do not know many that go to New Haven to shop. Jay

Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 AM

428 posts, read 832,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Milford has most of the stores that the typical American shopper is looking for. There is Macy's, J.C. Penney's, Target, Walmart and many of the major national chain stores. In addtion there are a lot of small independent stores as well as several large supermarkets. New Haven has many small independent stores and shops but lacks the large national stores and only has a couple of supermarkets. It does have IKEA though which is a big draw now. I know people that commonly travel to Milford to shop since there is so much in one area. Except for IKEA, I do not know many that go to New Haven to shop. Jay
There are major super markets in and around NH and better ethnic food markets, also as I noted a Independent natural food store. In regards to men clothes there is J.Press(one of three along with Cambridge) for classic American clothes, Raggs for European and fashion forward clothing.... Laziness is going to make me stop here but while Milford as more shopping New Haven certainly has better and high quality shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut