Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM

27 posts, read 93,185 times

Advertisements

We are a young family with 2 girls (7 and 4) living in Chicago considering moving to either Stamford, CT or Southern California (San Diego, Orange County or north LA if it makes sense). We'd be doing this on our own ... so no job relos etc.

We'd like to know what makes most sense for us. And if someone can give us some pros/cons on each. Important things to us:

a. Schools... Schools... Schools. Good schools are a must
b. Economy (being able to find jobs in IT)
c. Low-crime, safe neighborhoods
d. Family friendly (parks, things for kids to do etc.)

Your Opinions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:15 PM

786 posts, read 3,923,847 times
I don't live in Stamford, but did recently move to Connecticut after 3 years in San Diego. California schools are in SEVERE budget crisis and have been since even before the economic crisis. I'm not saying you can't find good public schools and excellent teachers, but just be aware that the public schools at the elementary level offer no P.E., Music, Art or other specials unless privately funded by the parents. The schools rely on the parents for ALL supplies, even paper to copy homework on. Class sizes are larger too and most schools don't provide bus transportation. It is refreshing to be back to a more traditional school environment for my children.

That said there were some things about San Diego that were great. It was nice to walk to school everyday with my kids and I really got to know their teachers and classmates. Field trips to the Wild Animal Park, Old Town San Diego and Sea World really can't be beat. And of course, the weather is beautiful all year round (but I found it a bit boring and missed having seasons so it just depends on your preferences).

Best of luck in your decision.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
but just be aware that the public schools at the elementary level offer no P.E., Music, Art or other specials unless privately funded by the parents. The schools rely on the parents for ALL supplies, even paper to copy homework on. Class sizes are larger too and most schools don't provide bus transportation.
P.E. is a California State standard. I don't know how your school district managed to cut it without being punished or taken over by the state.

"California law clearly establishes the priority of physical education instruction. Education Code Section 51210 requires 200 minutes of physical education every ten school days for students in grades one through six."
http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/docum...estandards.pdf

Music and art are also present in many school districts at elementary still too, including the one my kids in, Capistrano Unified. Bus transportation was cut heavily though. Most elementary schools have no bus routes and the high schools and middle schools usually have only 1-5 bus routes.

All of this varies dramatically from school district to school district.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,735 times
People living in CA with kids in the schools have no way to compare them to the CT schools. When we visited there from CT to buy a house due to a job move, we were appalled. Yet, everyone we met assured us how good the schools were. OMG.

SoCal is awesome but I wouldn't put my kids in those schools for nuthin'. CT schools are excellent, among the best. No need for private schools there because they are so good (check the numbers). If the states were arranged alphabetically in terms of schools, CT would be AAA and CA would be minus Z, minus several more Z's. If you have an option, don't put your kids in those schools. If you have money for private schools than SoCal would be the place. If not, head east, young (wo)man.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
Just out of curiosity, where were you looking to move and what school districts?^^
Just curious.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 PM

786 posts, read 3,923,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
P.E. is a California State standard. I don't know how your school district managed to cut it without being punished or taken over by the state.

"California law clearly establishes the priority of physical education instruction. Education Code Section 51210 requires 200 minutes of physical education every ten school days for students in grades one through six."
http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/docum...estandards.pdf

Music and art are also present in many school districts at elementary still too, including the one my kids in, Capistrano Unified. Bus transportation was cut heavily though. Most elementary schools have no bus routes and the high schools and middle schools usually have only 1-5 bus routes.

All of this varies dramatically from school district to school district.
To clarify, there was P.E., taught by the classroom teacher but not a specific teacher trained in P.E. to teach the kids. There was also music paid for by the PTA (a six week course for each grade), and art taught by parents. That does not compare at all to having a trained teacher. My children were in a top school district so not all schools provide these things, I'm just saying be aware that things that you might take as standard aren't a given in CA.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,841 times
Connecticut, hands down!!! I've never understood the hype associated with California, So. Cal mostly, as I found it to be (no offense) rather dirty and uninspired. Connecticut is a BEAUTIFUL state with (as said above) some of the best schools in the entire nation! Nowhere, have I found endless opportunities for intelligent conversation than I have in Connecticut, everyone you speak to has something to say with a well-balanced opinion and impressive vocabulary. I'm not saying Connecticut is the only state with smart people, but I love the educational aptitude here.

California has a bad reputation now, citing the economic downturn, with seemingly endless forclosure rates and slipping prosperity. However, Connecticut has been lucky. It's almost a bubble (which I don't know is entirely a good thing), I know, for one, that I live in a middle-class town in Eastern Connecticut (the quote on quote "poorer" section of the state) and I have not seen ANYTHING like I have during my travels. I was absolutely amazed when I roadtripped to Florida this past March at how lucky we truly are here in CT. With everyone I know here, I know NO ONE whose parents have lost jobs, lost homes, lost any financial standing. Perhaps this is a bit unbalanced, as I know many in CT have suffered during the economic downturn, but for the most part, we have gone fairly unaffected (don't all jump at once!) I'm not saying we should brag about this fact, simply we should respect what we have and enjoy our comforts.

Connecticut, in relation to the United States would likely be a "0" on a crime scale of 1-10. Sure, we have our cities that have the normal urban problems, but for the most part crime is nearly non-existent here (especially in comparison to California, geesh!) We have a fantastic State Police, and relatively good local police here as well.

I'm sure California has plenty of opportunities for open-space with parks and whatnot, but I'm thoroughly impressed with Connecticut's resume. We have an EXTENSIVE State Park system, with beautiful lakes and forests, rivers and oceans, plenty of open air and land for such a small state. Sure we have our urban clusters and suburban enclaves, but you will not be far from a breath of fresh air.

My vote, for certain, is Connecticut! Put perhaps I'm a bit biased

Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Many Junior High Schools teach French.

Ya won't get that in SoCal...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
I'd have to agree with CT being the better place to raise children. It's an expensive place to live, getting up there with NJ and CA, but the schools are better (if you know where to look), quality of life higher and you're right in between NYC and Boston. I agree that the people here are fairly intelligent, too.

I considered moving to FL and I'm glad I didn't - the economy was horrible. I think we (in CT) might pull through this better than expected, but we'll see what happens.

The lifestyle in CT is much different than SoCal, as is the weather, so those are things to consider. I enjoy the four seasons - once you start getting tired of the snow, or the heat, it's almost over. Also the foliage in New England is amazing.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 AM

27 posts, read 93,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Just out of curiosity, where were you looking to move and what school districts?^^
Just curious.
We dont have a strong opinion formed yet. Thats what I am here for. But any place in SoCal that has really goods schools and a great neighborhood. We'd be looking at houses in the range of $500K - $800K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut