Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Like maybe an 8 BILLION dollar deficit in the state budget?
Connecticut stopped building infrastructure long before this deficit started.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Connecticut stopped building infrastructure long before this deficit started.
Brookfield Bypass?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Brookfield Bypass?
A few more I can think of off the top of my head:

The new Q Bridge isn't what I would call a small project!

The busway from New Britian to Hartford.

Several bridge widenings such as RT4

The widening of I84 from Waterbury to Southington

The extension of RT72 to memorial blvd in Bristol

Wasn't there a few new commuter lots for the trains down in FFC as well?

Okay after listing those my curiosity was peaked so I did a quick Google search:

Connecticut's Interactive Transportation Information System

A DOT map of projects around the state.

We are still bankrupt through.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Connecticut is building infrastructure. The problem is that they are running out of funds. The Highway Trust Fund has been depleted because the State uses it for things not necessarily what it was originally intended for. The politicians also cut the gas tax years ago which has limited the amount of money going into it. To add to this the current Federal funding programis ending this year and Congress has yet to decide what to do to replenish it. Sorry to say it but more taxes are on the way. Jay

Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
It's already been said and I'll say it again. The problems on the parkway can be solved if motorists...

SLOW DOWN
DON'T TAILGATE
USE YOUR FRIGGIN SIGNALS!

It's really simple. The problem is no one does it, they just preach about how the parkway is dangerous and needs to be widened...blah blah...SLOW DOWN!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Brookfield Bypass?
Only in Connecticut would this be treated as a major project that took so many years to complete. Well, actually, it's not complete yet. And it's still going to dump out the drivers into congestion at the end.

Connecticut: the land of freeway stubs.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut is building infrastructure. The problem is that they are running out of funds. The Highway Trust Fund has been depleted because the State uses it for things not necessarily what it was originally intended for. The politicians also cut the gas tax years ago which has limited the amount of money going into it.
They may have reduced the tax by a few pennies at one time, but they more than made up for it by instituting the gross receipts tax on gasoline. The tax may be a "hidden" one instituted on the wholesalers end, but we certainly do pay for it.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Only in Connecticut would this be treated as a major project that took so many years to complete. Well, actually, it's not complete yet. And it's still going to dump out the drivers into congestion at the end.

Connecticut: the land of freeway stubs.
Some of the reason we are "slower" than the "boom towns" is we are older and established and they are still building infrastructure.

Tell you what. Move to NC, or drive I25 in CO for a while or deal with Orlando's mess (And tolls - you'll go broke in a week!) you will really appreciate how easy it is to cover ground in this state in a short amount of time.

Expressways such as RT2, RT9, RT8, and connectors such as I691 or those "stubs" as you call it like I384 make getting somewhere outside of a crowded 4 lane blvd a wonderful thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
They may have reduced the tax by a few pennies at one time, but they more than made up for it by instituting the gross receipts tax on gasoline. The tax may be a "hidden" one instituted on the wholesalers end, but we certainly do pay for it.
Gross receipts is a con game.

I swear this state is run by lawyers and crooked accountants. No one else could come up with things like raising fees and not calling it a tax hike.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Gross receipts is a con game.

I swear this state is run by lawyers and crooked accountants. No one else could come up with things like raising fees and not calling it a tax hike.
No kidding. The higher the wholesale price of gasoline, the higher the rate of tax collected on each gallon sold. So, even if John Q. Public cuts his fuel consumption in times of price spikes, the progressive gross receipts structure ensures that the state isn't severely affected by drops in volume sold.

But......., i wonder what they did with the little windfall that they certainly collected last year as gas made its rapid climb to over $4/gallon?

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 11-01-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
I can count by fingers on one hand the amount of times I've filled up my car in Connecticut this year. Massachusetts is always 10-15 cents cheaper. And usually it's because I'm in Milford or Danbury, or coming back from them two, and running low before I can get back to Mass.

As for the Brookfield Bypass, it really only helps Brookfield. The four corners area is a mess, and it might help the flow on 7/202 a little better moving the end of Super 7 north to the New Milford line. But seriously, you'd need to end the Super 7 somewhere as there's no reason for a highway north of New Milford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut